Recession Dressing

Jan 23, 2006
dressesDM2104_468x698.jpg

This old thing? (left to right) Kate Moss in vintage Christian Dior, Gwyneth Paltrow in vintage Yves St Laurent and Kelly Brook in a Fifties prom dress

Ostentation is always vulgar, but never more so than during a recession. This means that for many, downsizing the house, car and, of course, wardrobe is due to necessity and style.

As the crestfallen economy pinches harder, less will become more - in terms of the volume of clothes we buy and the fashion we choose to wear.
So, like the slump of the early Nineties, our fashion habits are about to undergo a major change.

The conspicuous consumption of the shoulder-padded, Versace-loving Eighties was given the boot during the last recession.
Likewise, the vogue for stepping out in head-to-toe new season will soon seem offensive.

The economic doldrums sort the smart shoppers from the daft.

The impetuous shoppers, those who've bought one-hit wonders or the trend piece of the season, will be cursing themselves now the purse strings have tightened.
But the smart shoppers who have carefully bought classic clothes over the years will find they have a cupboard full of old friends rather than old trends

"Go through your closet and rediscover things," says stylist Bay Garnett.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=560891&in_page_id=1879

"Whenever I do, I find loads of great stuff and realise I really don't need to buy anything ever again."
Vogue's fashion features associate Pippa Holt agrees. "Re-examine your wardrobe and be positive about it. Spend a Saturday going through the basics you bought years ago, such as a tailored jacket, pencil skirt and manly trousers. You'll fall in love with them again."

The High Street is a big divider when it comes to saving money. Some fashion fans steadfastly consider buying cheap clothes to be a false economy.

"Topshop is loved by many for an instant fix," says Sheherazade Goldsmith, green campaigner and author.
dressDM2104_228x299.jpg
This Salvatore Ferragama was £1,969 and is now £688

"But really good quality clothes last for a long time, recession or no recession."

For others who get distracted by trends and like to dip in and out of different looks, the High Street is the answer.

"I'm a Gemini, so I get enthused by everything but have a short attention span," says author and model Lisa B.

"The safest bet for me is to find fabulous clothes that don't cost much. So, every few months, I go to High Street Kensington, £300 and my season's covered.
"Sure, it's not like walking into Moschino where everything's beautiful. When you walk into H&M, you need to have a good eye and a little bit more patience. It's a good idea to stick to natural fabrics."

But thrifty dressing doesn't have to mean the end of sartorial fun.

"I revamp my wardrobe by dyeing clothes," says Ellis, director of Independent Models.

"I dye bras, T-shirts and cashmere. I cut off jeans and reshape frocks."
Be inspired by the designer Jeanetta Rowan Hamilton, who transforms old cashmere with intricate beading and trimming.
Try buying weird colour shoes in the sales - cheap because no one wants them - then dye them yourself.

pinkshoeDM2104_468x361.jpg

Patches on a worn sweater or jacket can look elegant, and making your own dress or knitting a jumper can be much more rewarding than just blasting a credit card for something new.

The same goes for party dressing. Yes, the Queen may have cancelled her diamond wedding anniversary party at the Ritz for fear of seeming inappropriately ostentatious, but that doesn't mean all celebrations are off or that clothes for merry-making should be dull.

However, faded glory is more acceptable than brand-new twinkly clothes. So, if you can't resist a bit of party sparkle, go for second-hand lame or sequin dresses.

"Buy vintage," says fashion editor Mary Fellowes.
"Try a classic satin Sixties shift dress or pastel silk Thirties biascut tea dress. You'll find a lot more for your money."
Portobello and Spitalfields markets in London are filled with rich pickings, but also scour eBay and other websites including Junkystyling.co.uk and Wornagain.co.uk

Be canny. Find out about sample sales and visit designer outlets including Bicester Village near Oxford.
It's more time-consuming, but if you're dedicated to looking great without spending a fortune, then you need to put in the legwork.

So, how will designers and the fashion industry be affected by the new wave of thrifty shoppers?

First in the reject pile has to be the statement It bag. Over the past ten years, this shoulder pad of the Noughties has escalated outlandishly in price and size.
bagDM2104_228x305.jpg
An Anya Hindmarch bag will last for seasons

So, surely designers will stop pushing branded bags covered in clanking chains down our throats.
Already the handbag silhouette is being redefined as the discreet clutch bag gains in popularity, and forward-thinking designers such as Anya Hindmarch and J&M Davidson produce chic, well-made bags which last from season to season.
Perhaps it is time for designers and their marketing teams to reevaluate their ridiculously greedy pricing, unless they want only the super-wealthy buying their clothes.
"I think that designers are already reflecting the economic trend," says Sheherazade Goldsmith.

"Over the past couple of years the dresses in Prada were a total joke, at more than £3,000 each. But I've noticed this year that though still very expensive, the prices of their dresses have come down to under £1,000."
Maybe in the wake of this economic slump, obsessing with the newness of fashion will be reassessed.

Oscar Wilde said: "Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable we have to change it every six months."

Model Saffron Aldridge agrees: "Who decides that clothes are in for six months and out again? Are we puppets?"

So, will being on trend mean wearing clothes year in, year out?

The outlook's not purely gloomy, though, because times of financial hardship can be hotbeds of creativity.
"Despite government rationing during the Forties, when a dress was 12 coupons and people had only 66 coupons a year, women nevertheless managed to look stylish by relying on their own resources," says Rosemary Harden, curator of the Fashion Museum in Bath.
"In times of privation, people become very inventive."

"Have a clothes swap party with your friends.."

I just wanted to say that my bestfriend and i and a bunch of her friends just did our first clothing (and everything else) swap and it was AMAZING! We just stuck everything in a big pile, everyone took what they wanted, and the rest was donated. We ended up donating over 600lbs of clothes! CRAZY!

I highhhllyy recommend this, it was so much fun!

I just wanted to say that my bestfriend and i and a bunch of her friends just did our first clothing (and everything else) swap and it was AMAZING! We just stuck everything in a big pile, everyone took what they wanted, and the rest was donated. We ended up donating over 600lbs of clothes! CRAZY!

Me too !

I do this with my friends and colleagues at the end of each season, and what's ever left we donate to varies womens charities.

I do this also!
We always end up drinking and eating a bit more than swapping, but it's a great way to get together with friends and TONS of clothing gets donated.
I plan to do another one this fall. It's so much fun!

That sounds like so much fun!