Random thoughts about the new Legacy and Coach

Consumers were ALREADY paying high prices for Coach products BEFORE they moved production to China (and Vietnam). When they reaped savings on production they did not return any benefit of that to the consumer and even raised the prices ! LOL...Are you trying to tell me the substancial cost savings by this move does not PAY for the costs you noted above, that and far beyond. So just as an example lets say it cost Coach $100 in material/labor/expenses to make a bag that sold for $300 5 years ago. Now that same bag may cost them $25 to make with cheaper materials/labor costs and they are making more of them thus their profit level times millions of bags flooding the market (why do you think they are releasing so many different bags now every 3 or 4 months ! ) and the consumer KEEPS buying them is very,very high-aside from business "costs". I may not be a rocket scientist but I can see whats facts.

I still like my Legacy Leather Ali's and everything else I've purchased. Sometimes I sense more disappointment rather than the sheer joy of finding a wonderful purse. Perhaps Coach can no longer provide the product or service at a price you're willing to pay for . . . if Coach does not provide that for you, write a letter to corporate, stop buying the product.

has any US mfg. that moved production to China returned any benefit of that to the consumer?

has any US mfg. that moved production to China returned any benefit of that to the consumer?

one might argue that cheap goods that can be bought at say Walmart has "benefited" some ( although I do not shop at Walmart, I shop Target) HOWEVER we are talking about buying a $10 t-shirt or a $10 frying pan not a $500-$700 bag that costs a fraction to make. One might not feel so ripped of if it cost the t-shirt manufacturer $1 to make the t-shirt that is sold for $10 (and high "quality" is not expected) than one would feel paying $700 for a bag that cost $50 to make and the quality is slipping. This is all about the "Coach" name, that is what I am paying for when I buy the bag, so that I feel I have something of 'value' if if it holds little value other than the name that others may be impressed with. Because when the quality slips and the market is flooded with millions of Coach bags ( every where I look I see Coach bags being carried, at the mall I would say 6 out 10 women/girls I see are carrying Coach) the value is watered down. And this is what greed by the Corporation is causing.
The times they are a changin'.....and designer bags are really on their way out. Just like Hummers, lol. Folks used to look at a guy driving a Hummer and think how cool, I wish I had one...now we look at him and think what a fool he is, that he'd pay 80k for that thing that cost $150 to fill the gas tank...every 4 days if he commutes, all because he wanted to look cool.

Maybe I'm being a little contrarian here, but let me preface this by saying that I have been a Coach customer for at least 25 years. I carried a number of the older style bags, which were unlined and, contrary to some of the statements in this thread, did NOT wear forever. Sure, you could carry them for years and they wouldn't fall apart, but they would become very scuffed, with the color coming off of the corners. The worst were the light colors. I had a bone drawstring bag that never looked clean no matter how much it was cleaned.

The black leather Carly I have today is in every way a better bag than the early '90's unlined black flap bag I still have in my closet.

The old style Coach was designed to appeal to the preppy types who wanted a very traditional bag, but not as structured as their mothers' frame bags. The market for such a bag is very limited (remember---preppy was the rage in the early '80s). Coach exploited that market fully and took advantage of scarcity to build a name and cachet. Being smart, as any good design house would do, Coach has changed its designs to suit the times and current tastes and built on its reputation that was so carefully crafted.

Seriously---I'm sure that the ladies on this forum, accustomed to modern handbag styling, would pass over the plain-faced Coach product of yore!!

great post.

I have bags from www.levenger.com which look more like the classic coach, but you are right in no time the corners start to loose color and the leather chips over time.

and you are right too, to say that was the trend of those days, it was, everyone from old navy to LV had the more classic preppy look to their products.

i got a "leather belt" from J Crew and it was really a painted plastic with a leather composit backing :cursing:

indeed i am so disgusted by the state of "leather goods" these days that this was one of the reasons i turned to coach, and even then i am very selective, my next bag wont be leather, it will be the new coated fabric.

I like the couple of vintage bags I have, but I find that I have to be just as careful with them because with no lining, if you get something messy (especially wet) that's just going directly onto the leather, just from the inside out, and that's no bueno in my book.

I find them to be more "throw about" bags though, just beacuse I didn't pay a pretty penny for them (under $30 including shipping from the bay on one and about $15 including shipping on the other)

Luckily, since I've discovered TPF, I have learned a great deal about organizing my handbags and use makeup bags to store my itty bitty things--including messy makeup and powders. This is a great thing to learn. Also, it's easier to move stuff from one bag to another.

That's what I love Coach the most for: the insides (2 free pockets and one zippered pocket) are all consistent so far (except for swingpacks and small pouch bags) and I can change bags on a daily basis.

I will be looking for a classic Coach next. Without the lining, I think I can 'dump' my stuff in without worrying about dirtying the bag but I will always carry a makeup case so the bag won't get too dirty. I have plans!!! :tup::yes:

Take care,

Maybe I'm being a little contrarian here, but let me preface this by saying that I have been a Coach customer for at least 25 years. I carried a number of the older style bags, which were unlined and, contrary to some of the statements in this thread, did NOT wear forever. Sure, you could carry them for years and they wouldn't fall apart, but they would become very scuffed, with the color coming off of the corners. The worst were the light colors. I had a bone drawstring bag that never looked clean no matter how much it was cleaned.

The black leather Carly I have today is in every way a better bag than the early '90's unlined black flap bag I still have in my closet.

The old style Coach was designed to appeal to the preppy types who wanted a very traditional bag, but not as structured as their mothers' frame bags. The market for such a bag is very limited (remember---preppy was the rage in the early '80s). Coach exploited that market fully and took advantage of scarcity to build a name and cachet. Being smart, as any good design house would do, Coach has changed its designs to suit the times and current tastes and built on its reputation that was so carefully crafted.

Seriously---I'm sure that the ladies on this forum, accustomed to modern handbag styling, would pass over the plain-faced Coach product of yore!!

That's interesting! Thank you for that insightful response! I know that the variety today surpasses what was available back then. I was quite alive back then and saw very limited options available. Only until now do I see the quality and styles available that I take notice and take out my credit card and go on an insane spending spree on Coach stuff....because I love it! :yahoo::heart::yahoo:

Still, it would be neat to own at least one of the classic bags...I guess I'm trying to re-live a little of that preppy era myself. :shame:

BTW, I did notice the scuffing around the edges on the older classic Coach bags. For me now, I am thinking of getting at least one just for personal interest. I love the history of Coach and want some precious relic to carry and enjoy.

If you're interested, this book contains some information about Coach and other bags over the ages:

The Handbag: An Illustrated History.

Enjoy!

Take care,

Attachments

• 51maHJbRyaL__SL500_AA240_.jpg
    51maHJbRyaL__SL500_AA240_.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

All good points. But speaking just for myself, I don't necessarily WANT Coach to go back to producing older, plainer styles. I just don't think that quality needs to suffer just to offer an updated style handbag. My problem with Coach of late is the rapidly increasing prices while the quality issues become more frequent and the leather gets thinner and shinier (cheaper looking imho). I actually think if Coach focused less on producing a zillion different styles of handbag-trying to be all things to all people-they'd be better off. That doesn't mean I want just plain leather bags though.

All good points. But speaking just for myself, I don't necessarily WANT Coach to go back to producing older, plainer styles. I just don't think that quality needs to suffer just to offer an updated style handbag. My problem with Coach of late is the rapidly increasing prices while the quality issues become more frequent and the leather gets thinner and shinier (cheaper looking imho). I actually think if Coach focused less on producing a zillion different styles of handbag-trying to be all things to all people-they'd be better off. That doesn't mean I want just plain leather bags though.

I kind of agree with this. Don't get me wrong... I do have an appreciation for some of the older style bags, but TBH I didn't buy Coach for a long time because the styles were just too "old lady" for me. Quality and gorgeous leather...YES...I could always see that. Now I probably have more appreciation for some of the older plainer styles than I did back a few years ago. I've really only been buying any Coach for about the last 3 yrs. I do sometimes run across beautiful old vintage bags at antique shops and flea markets, and I've purchased a few of them. I like bags like the Willis, but in general I prefer the current styles.

I actually also like diversity myself, but I do feel that QC is beginning to suffer....and in a major way. I can't ignore the all too frequent "misses" such as missing embossing or studs.... issues which should have been easily caught during the QC process! These are not just bags that are bought at the outlet either, but are actually shipped directly from JAX. Not to mention some of the other more critical flaws and damage that are totally apparent when bags are removed from the boutique stockroom. I think Coach is now cutting costs to the point where everything is beginning to suffer...materials, quality, etc., while at the same time elevating prices to the point that it's just gotten ridiculous.

Not to mention there's no greater slap in the face than to purchase a near $700 bag, and then find it on clearance for $200 at an outlet just a few weeks after the purchase. This almost happened to me with the rose Leigh, but I got sidetracked and fortunately for me, found it just about 3-4 weeks later for $208 at the outlet. Now they are selling for even less. I generally buy on PCE or outlet/sales, but I do have some bags I purchased for retail price. So I know what it feels like to get that "slap"...

I'm really sad because I love some of the current styles, but I just personally find these issues to be significant enough that it's really beginning to motivate me to cut back retail purchases and seek brands outside of Coach. There are about 4-5 bags right now I would love to buy, but I can't make myself. Truthfully, every time I purchase a Coach bag at retail price, I do feel like a big idiot! I can completely understand those members who purchase retail for brands that are exclusive and do not go on sale, but in this case it seems kind of foolish when you know the bags will be MUCH cheaper in probably just a few short weeks (unless it sells out). That's the key...you don't always know what will sell out and not be available later on, so you have to consider that issue. And of course, not living near outlets or sale venues also affect this decision as well. However, I still think Coach is doing a great job of conditioning people to bargain shop...so I'm not quite sure why they think huge price elevations are such a hot idea... :shrugs:

I kind of agree with this. Don't get me wrong... I do have an appreciation for some of the older style bags, but TBH I didn't buy Coach for a long time because the styles were just too "old lady" for me. Quality and gorgeous leather...YES...I could always see that. Now I probably have more appreciation for some of the older plainer styles than I did back a few years ago. I've really only been buying any Coach for about the last 3 yrs. I do sometimes run across beautiful old vintage bags at antique shops and flea markets, and I've purchased a few of them. I like bags like the Willis, but in general I prefer the current styles.

I actually also like diversity myself, but I do feel that QC is beginning to suffer....and in a major way. I can't ignore the all too frequent "misses" such as missing embossing or studs.... issues which should have been easily caught during the QC process! These are not just bags that are bought at the outlet either, but are actually shipped directly from JAX. Not to mention some of the other more critical flaws and damage that are totally apparent when bags are removed from the boutique stockroom. I think Coach is now cutting costs to the point where everything is beginning to suffer...materials, quality, etc., while at the same time elevating prices to the point that it's just gotten ridiculous.

Not to mention there's no greater slap in the face than to purchase a near $700 bag, and then find it on clearance for $200 at an outlet just a few weeks after the purchase. This almost happened to me with the rose Leigh, but I got sidetracked and fortunately for me, found it just about 3-4 weeks later for $208 at the outlet. Now they are selling for even less. I generally buy on PCE or outlet/sales, but I do have some bags I purchased for retail price. So I know what it feels like to get that "slap"...

I'm really sad because I love some of the current styles, but I just personally find these issues to be significant enough that it's really beginning to motivate me to cut back retail purchases and seek brands outside of Coach. There are about 4-5 bags right now I would love to buy, but I can't make myself. Truthfully, every time I purchase a Coach bag at retail price, I do feel like a big idiot! I can completely understand those members who purchase retail for brands that are exclusive and do not go on sale, but in this case it seems kind of foolish when you know the bags will be MUCH cheaper in probably just a few short weeks (unless it sells out). That's the key...you don't always know what will sell out and not be available later on, so you have to consider that issue. And of course, not living near outlets or sale venues also affect this decision as well. However, I still think Coach is doing a great job of conditioning people to bargain shop...so I'm not quite sure why they think huge price elevations are such a hot idea... :shrugs:

I think that to some degree the think that higher prices will increase demand (look at LV which raises prices every year just cause). but the outlets and sales REALLY undermine any attempt to be see as ultra-luxury.

I only bought a few items at the retail store and already feel silly for doing it. i dont like near an outlet, so even though i am new to coach and like some styles both old and new the more i read about what is out there on outlets the less i want coach.

for the same reason, why should i pay $248 for a coach tote so that someone else get the SAME tote for $99 at an outlet. i could be doing something with my $149.

disenchanted so early? is that really possible or the goal? i hope not!

^^Exactly. It's what I said a few days ago in another thread. Some of the things Coach does don't seem to make much sense because it's like they are undermining their own tactics. You can't release fabulous bags with big prices and at the same time saturate the market with relatively cheap (in price) bags from the outlets and think that your brand name won't be affected.

I think that to some degree the think that higher prices will increase demand (look at LV which raises prices every year just cause). but the outlets and sales REALLY undermine any attempt to be see as ultra-luxury.

Even if we don't look at the outlets, I don't think increased prices will increase demand for Coach. Louis Vuitton as a brand is different - it was already established as premium luxury and the demand for their pieces was already there. They basically knew that increasing their prices won't turn away their established clients who view themselves as part of an exclusive clique and newcomers will pay to get into it. Though arguably every other person is either carrying a real or fake one.:shrugs: However, even then there is a limit to how high LV prices can increase - or else, why not just buy a bunch of Birkins than LV?

My speculation is that Coach does want to align itself with the higher mid-range designers and this is really obvious when they are simulataneously releasing some bags in the more luxury end. I just don't see it being successful because many of their more expensive bags head quickly over to the outlets. In general, most people don't think the brand warrants the price - often it's about the brand and not the quality issues of the leather, etc. There are lots of higher premium brands with quality control issues on their bags and accessories.

My older sister collected Coach bags in the mid 90's (unlined ofcourse) and they were very simple, classic and gorgeous - I think it's in their simplicity that made them special.

The times they are a changin'.....and designer bags are really on their way out. Just like Hummers, lol. Folks used to look at a guy driving a Hummer and think how cool, I wish I had one...now we look at him and think what a fool he is, that he'd pay 80k for that thing that cost $150 to fill the gas tank...every 4 days if he commutes, all because he wanted to look cool.

Well said!!! :tup: I have always been a bit of a minimalist, and have felt really out of balance lately with my Coach obsession. In fact, I've been seriously considering a ban - and not because I have too many bags - but because everytime I do get a new one it seems I'm immediately looking for another.

In reading this post, I think I may have settled on the true problem. It isn't that I have a true handbag obsession, but rather that I'm searching for something that may not exist at Coach anymore - a high quality, timeless product. :sad:

The thing is that the times have changed and Coach has tried to change along with them......the simple classic leather bags that the company was founded on seem to have all but evaporated from production.

Years ago I couldnt understand why anyone would buy a non-leather Coach bag.
Until I bought my first Coach bag (A fabric signature one) and loved it.
Then not too long after that I found myself eying the Scribble line.

I think that Coach has done a good job of having a variety of styles (in both the leather and the fabric) over the years in order for the brand to stay relevant and in the publics mind.

People want new and different every season and IMO Coach does successfully reinvent itself season after season.
Thats a pretty hard thing to do.
They are still making their "classic favorites" available so that is a good sign that they havent entirely lost sight of what the company was once all about. :smile:

Love this thread! So many of the posts are beautifully written and well expressed.

I'm probably one of the new Coach lovers out here and getting a peek into long-time Coach lovers' world is a revelation.

Well, one thing I gotta add though. I live in Singapore and while some of you have been grouching about the prices of Coach declining sharply, while the product moves from retail to outlet, in Singapore, Coach products are sold for at least double what is denoted on the Coach website.

I do envy you all for living in America because it also means that you get your stuff cheaper than mine. I never want to get any Coach products from Singapore because it is a slap to me to know that in US, it is at least half as cheap... or even more.

I have to rely on people who organise sprees and transport Coach products from US to Singapore. And that's definitely not as easy as picking up a bag and paying for it - whether it's at the boutique or an outlet.