Random authentication question (store-wise)

SuLi

O.G.
Nov 1, 2005
I've been reading through the threads and the consensus seems to be that SAs do not authenticate Hermes goods purchased secondhand/through a reseller unless you send it out for a spa treatment or service.

I was wondering what happens if the goods turn out to be fake? Do they try to confiscate it?

I'm sorry if this has been answered already...I tried to search for it, but to no avail.

Thanks! :flowers:

I’ve also read that SAs do not authenticate Hermes goods purchased secondhand/through a reseller, but the SA’s in London very happily authenticated an H bag for me when I considered buying one via a reseller.

Maybe different H boutiques have different policies?

I'm curious because I was thinking about buying a watch, and wanted to get it serviced (which I think is a good idea for watches). But, if they refuse to even service the watch because it wasn't purchased through them, then I guess I won't ever know?

Very confusing...thanks for your responses. :flowers:

I don't believe that Hermes confiscates fakes at all. As for watches, the policy is that the repair person will open up the watch and if it is found not to be authentic, they will not work on it and it will be returned to the person who brought it in. I know this because four watches bought online were recently brought to the Madison Avenue store for upkeep and battery changes and this is what was said by the store. (All the watches proved to be authentic, by the way.)

I remember reading somewhere here on the forum that there was a time when Hermes did confiscate fake stuff but maybe it was only in certain country/countries. And then people complained and they had to stop doing it because they didn't have any right to take your belongings.

I remember reading somewhere here on the forum that there was a time when Hermes did confiscate fake stuff but maybe it was only in certain country/countries. And then people complained and they had to stop doing it because they didn't have any right to take your belongings.

This sounds correct - whether they are fake or not, they are your property and H can't simply take them. They certainly can refuse to work on them, though.