Rainy Day bags?

I'm not a fan of patent bags-- i dont like the shine , texture,stiffness & finger prints (I do have a Julia zippy wallet in patent fuschia though)... And I never plan on getting one just for rainy days. The only bags I won't use on a rainy day are my legacy ones bc I'm just not sure of how they handle in the rain. I use any of my Madisons, Kristins, poppys in the rain & have never ever had a problem. If you like patent, then I think it's fine to get one, but IMO, don't get one just for the rain.

Thanks for a different opinion :smile: I only have a few bags & they are all Legacy except my abigail that still has tags on :smile: I have yet another decision to make- so many bags so NOT enough money for my want list ;)

I hate signature bags, so my vote is for patent leather. I have the large Zoe in black patent and it still looks brand new 4 years later. You could probably get a good deal on Ebay.

I don't like the feel of patent, so I spray my bags with Apple Garde. Also, I find most black leather does fine even if not sprayed.

I was also going to say that you can spray your bags to help protect them. Here is the Apple Rain Garde product that albeli mentioned. I use it too and it has worked well for me. I have also heard that it can help protect light-colored bags from getting color-transfer but I don't know if that is true.

http://leatherstuff.com/shop/view.php?id=284

Here's a post about how apple garde saved a beloved bag from damage:
http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/ad...vens-tpf-apple-garde-693646.html#post19423223

Last edited:
I'm on the search now...for maybe patent?! :smile:

I'm not a fan of patent bags-- i dont like the shine , texture,stiffness & finger prints..

I don't like the feel of patent...

That's why I don't care for the smooth patent that much, but the krinkle patent doesn't show fingerprints and it gets soft and more slouchy with wear and now I like the way it feels!

Mama20, there have been a lot of recommendations for the original patent Zoe and that is a fabulous bag! But it is no longer available and you would have to try to find one on ebay or bonanza and then you couldn't return it if you don't care for it.

I suggest keeping your eyes open for a great patent bag at the outlet. When you find one that you think you will like, take it home and put your stuff in it and try wearing it around the house a bit with the tags on.

If you decide that it's not for you then it can be returned for a full refund.

I have gotten some of my Coach leather bags caught in the rain and they were fine, but once a light-colored bag got water-spots and although they faded, the spots never went away completely.

Now I take precautions and try to protect my bags because I want them to look good and last! Good luck!

I have a Lauren saffiano bag for inclement weather.

In one of the other threads someone said that some upcoming bags looked like they had saffiano leather, but Coach typically does not do saffiano, so I wonder if it is something new, or just a texture that looks like saffiano?

It's not that the aniline dyed leather isn't colorfast (as in bleeds off) but it fades a lot when the hide ages. Or exposure to UV in red-tone dyes. The fuchsia-base anilines are the least stable. Water can rough up the fibers of the hide if left to dry without smoothing. All smooth hides still have a suede back. Suede is just the inside of a hide that was split in half. Sometimes water can exacerbate whirls and scars in the hide that were waxed or smoothed in the finishing.

Coach has been really good lately about not having scarred hides (at least, what I've examined). And the Coach I saw carried growing up in the 80s & 90s was sturdy, water-hardy. I don't remember whether it looked as good as these, but it was almost all unlined, so it was generally unsplit leather.

If you ever have to wash a black lining again, perhaps hanging it to dry with the lining pulled out would help?

I haven't had much problem with the aniline dyed vintage Coach bags fading. When I say they aren't colorfast, I mean that when you wash them, the dye leaches into the water. But because the dyes are so saturated, the bag doesn't end up faded from the loss of dye. My red vintage bags from the 70's, 80's and 90's are still vibrant and bright. The burgundy bags tend to lighten some.

Yes, I realized belatedly that I should have hung it by the lining to dry.

That's why I don't care for the smooth patent that much, but the krinkle patent doesn't show fingerprints and it gets soft and more slouchy with wear and now I like the way it feels!

Mama20, there have been a lot of recommendations for the original patent Zoe and that is a fabulous bag! But it is no longer available and you would have to try to find one on ebay or bonanza and then you couldn't return it if you don't care for it.

I suggest keeping your eyes open for a great patent bag at the outlet. When you find one that you think you will like, take it home and put your stuff in it and try wearing it around the house a bit with the tags on.

I have gotten some of my Coach leather bags caught in the rain and they were fine, but once a light-colored bag got water-spots and although they faded, the spots never went away completely.

Now I take precautions and try to protect my bags because I want them to look good and last! Good luck!

I've seen plenty of black medium patent Zoe's this week at my outlet!! MFF version

I used my c/b berry/gray willis last week and was a bit rainy here, it left dried spots of water. I tried to wipe and condition but it's not going away. So I have to say not all coach are created well. I was not too happy about it at all, SA said it should come out i moisturized, it surely didn't.

I used my c/b berry/gray willis last week and was a bit rainy here, it left dried spots of water. I tried to wipe and condition but it's not going away. So I have to say not all coach are created well. I was not too happy about it at all, SA said it should come out i moisturized, it surely didn't.

Oh no! That's what I am afraid of...it doesn't rain much where we are, but still don't want to have to worry about my bag when it does rain.

Ps did you get your gathered bag? :smile:

This makes me nervous. Did you protect it before use? I still have the tags on mine....I'm too OCD about my bags to tolerate water marks.

Op, I don't like patent leather unless it is well done. Coach patent is gorgeous. I first bought one last year and it did so well in the rain and snow, so I bought a few more. It looks beautiful and I never worry about bad weather when I wear them. I suggest you try it out :biggrin:

Thanks so much! I will keep my eye out at the outlet :smile: