Rain blister on Box calf

I got some rain spots on mine that blistered.....it wasn't a downpour though......I wiped the bag just as soon as I noticed them and by the end of the day, they were gone.

I'd take it in to H and see what they say......

Sara, your post made me do a little experiment with my box leather belt.
I put drops of tap water;from the fabulous state of Florida,on my belt.
I left it to sit for 20 minutes and then blotted it with a paper towel.
I could still see the shape of the drops after it was blotted,and I rubbed them with my fingers. That was at 6:50pm.
I just checked again now;with a magnifying glass.
They are gone!
If you still have yours,I would try and take it to H.

The blisters look like bumps, almost like the ones on ostrich. I'm assuming the leather soaks up the water and swelles up. I know because I once got a drop of water on Miss Pru and didn't notice for a couple of minutes. It blistered but I made sure I wiped the leather and the blister went down after a few mins.

I was also once caught in the heavy rain but I could jump in the car and wipe the water off straight away before the blisters appeared. I almost had a heart attack but the bag was absolutely fine.

Sara, your post made me do a little experiment with my box leather belt.
I put drops of tap water;from the fabulous state of Florida,on my belt.
I left it to sit for 20 minutes and then blotted it with a paper towel.
I could still see the shape of the drops after it was blotted,and I rubbed them with my fingers. That was at 6:50pm.
I just checked again now;with a magnifying glass.
They are gone!
If you still have yours,I would try and take it to H.

Duchess, thanks for experimenting! I didn't know we had Hermes scientists around. :yahoo:So sweet of you to sacrifice your belt!

Thanks Beaumonde, I did on the part of the strap that doesn't show.
The opposite side where the blindstamp is,so it wouldn't bother me if I destroyed it.
My box leather did not raise in blisters;but I could notice a dullness where the drops were.
After a few hours I checked and they were gone!
I even looked with a magnifying glass!
I just tried again- 9:10pm. approx. eastern standard time.
I put two large drops of tap water on my belt strap.
I will leave it on all night.
I was careful not to get water on my stitches at least.
We will see what happens.
I took pictures and if I can get them posted on here tonight I will.

These are not the greatest photos;but they are the best I took.
We will see the damage that they do over the next few hours.

I will blot off one of the drops around midnight.
I will leave the smaller one on, until I get up tomorrow,usually around 7-8 am.

I would never try this on a bag;but I am curious to see what happens.
I can't say that I am a fan of box;because I don't like the look of a scratched, and scuffed up purse.
I know that it is not a leather for me.

Attachments

• water drops on box before 1.JPG
    water drops on box before 1.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 833
  • water drops on box 2.JPG
    water drops on box 2.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 831
So much for my experiment. The water has evaporated.
Two blotches are left on my belt.
I took pictures;but it is hard to capture.
The marks may be permanent? At least they are flat and not blisters.

Attachments

• water stain 1.JPG
    water stain 1.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 836
  • water stain 2.JPG
    water stain 2.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 849
  • water stain 3.JPG
    water stain 3.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 836
^I wouldn't fret too much, evekitti. I think s'mom is right...as soon as you notice it, a quick wipe and all should be well (I live in a very "weather" prone area of the country & have never had a problem if I follow this practice). You will love your bag & to have a bag in box leather is very special, indeed!

My experience is that on my oldest Kelly (bought in 1980) the blisters didn't go away: I was very young then, and didn't know that Box couldn't get wet, or that, if it did, it should be dried immediately.....I've learnt the lesson, and have never used my Box bags in wet weather again. But I'm wondering....could this have to do with older Box compared to the newer one? Maybe new Box has some kind of different treatment, whereby water doesn't effect it as much?? It would be interesting to know....

^I wouldn't fret too much, evekitti. I think s'mom is right...as soon as you notice it, a quick wipe and all should be well (I live in a very "weather" prone area of the country & have never had a problem if I follow this practice). You will love your bag & to have a bag in box leather is very special, indeed!

Thanks harleyNemma. I live in the tropics, and besides torrential rains, mould is a problem too. I wonder if mould would leave a permanent mark on boxcalf. I know for leathers like Clemence, it's easily cleaned. But some of my non-H smooth leather accessories had mould growing on them, and now there are permanent marks on them.