quick question about sparkle tweed leather

pooky83

O.G.
Jan 11, 2008
Hi ladies,

I've been promised a Lily for Christmas, and am debating as to whether I should get the Gunmetal Sparkle Tweed, or the Electric blue soft Matte. I love the look of the Sparkle tweed, but the local HoF doesn't have one, so I'd be really grateful if someone could tell me what the leather feels and smells like? i know it might seem like a bit of an odd question, but I felt a swatch of the soft matte and it felt really soft and luxurious, and I'm ashamed to admit it, but the smell of a leather is really important to me... I have been caught in the past having a good old sniff of my NVT bags (and can only imagine what darwin smells like!). TIA, Pooky.

Nothing is odd on here pooky- not many have this leather but Im sure someone will be along soon to help!! Just thought Id post so you dont feel ignored!! I think it looks stunning btw in the gunmetal- the blue is a bit too vibrant for boring old me- and being practical gunmetal will go with so much

i haven't seen the blue in real life but i tried on the GMST because in my dreams i'll have an OS lily in GMST and i think it's lovely. i didn't really sniff it, but i think it's really nice to touch... it's kind of like a crunchier version of spongy patent to touch, if that makes any kind of sense! i really would urge you to go somewhere that you can try it first though - if people are getting you a gift, make sure you love it!

I'll be honest, I was thinking about a gunmetal sparkle tweed Lily but the feel of the material really put me off. I thought it felt like cheap rubber and didn't like it all. I would really recommend you see it IRL before buying if at all possible, you may not feel the same but it would be better to check.

I have the Alexa hobo in Gunmetal Sparkle Tweed and I love this leather.
It definitely has a lovely leather smell and is wonderfully soft. It feels quite thin but not in a fragile way - more in sort of drapey way if you know what I mean!
I agree with Marmyte though you want to make sure that you really love it before someone gives it to you as present

i think i know what wordsworth's getting at: the non-classic colours/textures have a tendency to divide opinion (i'm not a fan of the anthracite on the bays, or the loopy leopard print or the ink splodge range, for example) so once again i'd really urge you to see it in the flesh. if you have to travel far to another store, call in advance and check that they have it in stock first.

Mulberry warn that the finish will wear off the GMS Tweed and I have seen some display models which looked a little less than fresh (it goes a bit dusty-looking).

I still think it looks really nice with its lovely dark mirror hardware, and I'd been lusting after it ever since seeing photos but I decided to get my hit of it in the Bays pouch rather than buying a bag which I wasn't sure would wear well.

I think a Lily for careful evening wear would probably be fine but I would imagine if you bought an Alexa or OS Lily to use as an everyday bag, it might not stand up to much punishment. It is a very drapey, almost fabric feeling leather without very much body - when I tried on the OS Lily, there was pulling where the chain was and the corners of the front flap curled up and looked a bit odd.

I was in fenwicks leicester yesterday and a lady at the elizabeth arden counter had the gunmetal sparkle tweed alexa..... I couldn't resist asking her a couple of Qs! She said she loved it, but disappointed that already after a couple of weeks sparkle on the reverse had started to wear off, especially whe she'd worn it with jeans!!

thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it... and I'm glad my leather sniffing habit is acceptable round these parts! Thanks Elvis:smile: I was looking at one as a day bag, so i'd probably trash the GST, and my evenings out tend to be in dingy pubs so there's no way it would survive that. I think I'll head to Dublin on my next day off and have a wee look, but I promise I'll reveal whatever bag i get (even if it's not a Mulberry). Thanks again:flowers:

^^Thanks - glad to hear it. What about rubbing on your clothes and causing damage to your clothes? I used to have the cracked metallic bays and sold it because it rubbed against my clothes and the roughness of the fabric caused bobbling on some really good tops and dresses I had. Have you experienced this problem with the sparkle tweed?