Quick Guide & Product List For Those New To Being "On a Budget" - with LINKS!

I would like to add my own tip: For a while I was using an expensive French skin serum with an active ingredient of Grapeseed Oil and I thought why not go straight to the source... I went to the health food store and purchased grapeseed oil for a fraction of the cost and put it directly on my skin along with my moisturizer. It's really important to pay attention to active ingredients.

Here is a recipe thread for a Vitamin C serum, also has reviews on MUA.

http://forum.purseblog.com/the-beauty-bar/make-your-own-vitamin-c-serum-368505.html

And a thread on how to make your own lavender hair mist:

http://forum.purseblog.com/the-beauty-bar/make-your-own-lavender-hair-mist-224782.html

I have seen those "generic" versions of salon brand hair products at Sally's, but I have never thought to look for an Aveda-type product. Aveda's Scalp Benefits line is the only product that fixed my dry, itchy scalp, but it was just too expensive. I think I'll head over to Sally's again and see if they have anything similar.

Teeth Whitener: Hydrogen Peroxide. Dilute with water, and use as a daily mouth rinse.

This is frequently suggested by dentists to help prevent gum disease in patients who have a propensity for developing it, due to anatomical configuration, genetics or both, and people who faithfully follow this advice not only avoid gum disease but have very white teeth, since Hydrogen Peroxide is the active ingredient in many tooth whitening products, including those that are done in the dentist's office and cost a lot of money.

i was thinking about that recently, but i was worried as to how much to dilute it.... has anyone tried this before?

Great thread, thanks for the tips!

Also, I use peroxide for teeth whitening and it works wonderfully. Be absolutely sure to dilute it though, I didn't know I should at first and I started to develop tooth sensitivity.

I just wish we had those stuff you guys have in the US :sad:
You can! This is the internet!

In order to keep it budget, which is the point, seize some friends and relatives to go in with you.

If one or more of you has a reasonably close busniness relationship with anyone in the US, or developed such a close friendship over a period of several years that you have disregarded all my rules about not sharing real life contact info, that person will be able to get whatever you want and send it to you, and since you are going in with all those friends and relatives, you will only have pay one lump of shipping.

Or you could do some poking around and find an eBay vendor who ships to Hungary, with a good solid, long-time reputation, who has one or more of the products you want.

Send her a message, asking if she might be willing to get the ones she doesn't have, and how much she would charge for picking them up and putting them in her basket next time she goes to CVS or Wal-Mart.

Another option would be to apply here to a thing they have called the Marketplace, I bet one of your tPF sisters there would hook you up.

Can anyone tell me how to use sugar as an exfoliating scrub for the face and/or body? I love the idea, because it is natural and non-toxic and will dissolve instead of polluting the oceans. Do you mix it with cleanser or moisturizer? How do you use it in the shower without it just washing away before you can get a good scrub in?