Questions: Buying First Chanel Bag at LA Robertson Boutique

ceruleanfrog

Sep 12, 2020
Hello! I’m finally taking the plunge and buying my first Chanel classic flap bag (black, caviar, silver or gold hardware, medium or jumbo) this week and I’m super excited! Hoping some of you can help me with some questions for a smooth first-time shopping experience. :smile: I’ll be in LA for a couple days and I made an appointment for the Robertson boutique, but I have a car and can make it to the Rodeo Drive store too.

First off, should I call ahead (can I even do that without an SA?) to see if they have the bags? I know with seasonal items it can be hard to find the exact item you want but for classic items, they should be hard to come by, right?

I made an appointment (it’s listed as a “view the collection” appointment on the website for one hour). Is it okay to use that appointment just to shop for bags and maybe check out SLGs and makeup? Or are appointments for super high rollers who are wanting to try on ready to wear and looking to buy multiple big items? Will they feel like I wasted their time? Not totally sure what to expect haha.

Any tips you can share for a first time buyer? Especially for deciding on size and gold versus silver hardware?

First tip, chill!! Yes I'm assuming you can use that app. You could always call ahead and ask if they have it. I'm pretty sure they would since it's black. I recommend trying on multiple sizes and leathers and just gong with whatever you love more! Take your time and have fun ;)

Reactions: ceruleanfrog
The Ivy next door used to be a paparazzi hot spot in the early 00s and is totally overpriced, but the lobster pizza is absolutely to die for. My husband and I really liked the food and I would totally stop there for lunch if you’re already next door.

If you have a dog, Max-Bone across the street has fantastic dog sweaters and Intermix is my favorite boutique for clothes.

I know you’re asking about your bag specifically, but since you’re coming from out of town, you may miss some great gems on the same block. Especially the Max-Bone sweaters.

The Ivy next door used to be a paparazzi hot spot in the early 00s and is totally overpriced, but the lobster pizza is absolutely to die for. My husband and I really liked the food and I would totally stop there for lunch if you’re already next door.

If you have a dog, Max-Bone across the street has fantastic dog sweaters and Intermix is my favorite boutique for clothes.

I know you’re asking about your bag specifically, but since you’re coming from out of town, you may miss some great gems on the same block. Especially the Max-Bone sweaters.

Thanks for the recommendations! We'll be visiting on Robertson around lunchtime, so that's perfect for a stop at The Ivy. Also, I checked out the Max-Bone website. Obsessed!

Hello! I’m finally taking the plunge and buying my first Chanel classic flap bag (black, caviar, silver or gold hardware, medium or jumbo) this week and I’m super excited! Hoping some of you can help me with some questions for a smooth first-time shopping experience. :smile: I’ll be in LA for a couple days and I made an appointment for the Robertson boutique, but I have a car and can make it to the Rodeo Drive store too.

First off, should I call ahead (can I even do that without an SA?) to see if they have the bags? I know with seasonal items it can be hard to find the exact item you want but for classic items, they should be hard to come by, right?

I made an appointment (it’s listed as a “view the collection” appointment on the website for one hour). Is it okay to use that appointment just to shop for bags and maybe check out SLGs and makeup? Or are appointments for super high rollers who are wanting to try on ready to wear and looking to buy multiple big items? Will they feel like I wasted their time? Not totally sure what to expect haha.

Any tips you can share for a first time buyer? Especially for deciding on size and gold versus silver hardware?

I think it's best to have an appt. It's okay to use the appt to shop and/or buy. Best to have an SA who can check and set aside hard to find bags for you. If you need an SA info for that location let me know. He's very nice and helpful.

I had an appointment last month at the Robertson boutique, and I was just buying some gifts (a few SLGs and cosmetics). I was a little nervous too, as I’d only previously bought from my long-time NM SA in a different city. But it ended up being a really nice experience (and I got lucky as they had exactly what I was looking for)!

The SA I had was really friendly - I was trying to be quick, since I was only making some small purchases and there was a line outside (didn’t realize you could do walk-in). She told me that since my appointment was for an hour, I didn’t have to rush. So I ended up looking at some bags and shoes, although wasn’t buying.

I would definitely call ahead to ask about inventory. The boutique is fairly small, and the SA said they were often out of popular items. Would definitely go back there again though!

Update - I got my bag! The experience at the Robertson store was fun and the SA I got paired with was super sweet and nice. The appointment system worked smoothly and I didn't have to wait. Unfortunately, they didn't have the bag I ended up wanting (black CF, SHW, caviar, jumbo), but the SA called the Beverly Hills store and luckily they had it. While I was at the BH store waiting for the SA to wrap up the bag, I tried on a pair of pastel blue tweed ballerinas and I was tempted to get them to wear for my wedding festivities next year, but since our wedding/rehearsal will be outdoors, I ended up not getting them for fear of ruining the tweed.

Overall it was a fun and memorable experience! Now, which bag to get next? :cool:

Image from iOS.jpg

Congrats on your bag and your future wedding festivities ! Hope you enjoy your beautiful bag in great health and happiness! Also, I find Chanel tweed and ballet shoes in general pretty durable. just sayin‘ ! :biggrin: