Questions about scratches on my ring

marialc121

O.G.
Sep 25, 2010
As some of you may know, I got engaged half a year ago. My e-ring is the HW micropave ring and I wear it with the VCA Perlee ring in RG. I just noticed today that two beads on the Perlee ring is scratched. I dropped the ring yesterday on a stone/tiled floor but I don't believe it had the tendency to scratch the little beads. Can it be that my e-ring is rubbing against the Perlee causing the scratches? I'm debating whether to bring it to the boutique to have it fixed or leave it since it will continue scratching when I wear these rings together. Thanks in advance!

Well if you dropped it there could be more than scratches. Get that looked at and do not wear it til you get it looked at or you might lose diamonds.

I thought from the reading she dropped the Perlee and noticed the scratches? If so, the issue is whether the non-dropped micropave is scratching it or whether the floor did it. Maybe pictures would help us determine the likely source of the scratching?

Well if you dropped it there could be more than scratches. Get that looked at and do not wear it til you get it looked at or you might lose diamonds.

Thank you, Ame. I will have them both checked out. If the scratches were indeed caused by the micropave ring, then I may have to think of another option to keep the rings from scratching or not wear the Perlee at all.

I thought from the reading she dropped the Perlee and noticed the scratches? If so, the issue is whether the non-dropped micropave is scratching it or whether the floor did it. Maybe pictures would help us determine the likely source of the scratching?

Thank you laitalavanille. Yes, that is correct. I was considering taking some pics, but the scratches are really hard to see. Basically, they are located on the side of the Perlee that touches my e-ring. Since I don't see it in other areas, my DF said that I may have nudged the two rings together really hard at one time to cause the scratch. :sweatdrop:

Thank you, Ame. I will have them both checked out. If the scratches were indeed caused by the micropave ring, then I may have to think of another option to keep the rings from scratching or not wear the Perlee at all.

Well if you wear two rings next to each other there will be scratches on one or both, usually both. There's no way to prevent it unless you wear them each on different fingers/hands. You can get a thin spacer band so that it is only metal on metal though, and that is usually better wear.

Reading all the responses I wonder - is the HW platinum and the perlee gold? And would gold ever scratch platinum? Also, when you scratch platinum I have been told no metal is lost whereas if you scratch gold some is? Maybe you need to wear platinum next to the micropave... ??? What does everyone think?

Reading all the responses I wonder - is the HW platinum and the perlee gold? And would gold ever scratch platinum? Also, when you scratch platinum I have been told no metal is lost whereas if you scratch gold some is? Maybe you need to wear platinum next to the micropave... ??? What does everyone think?

Anytime you wear two rings next to each other, regardless of metal, they will scratch each other. The degree of which depends on the metal. Usually platinum tends to "eat" away the gold. Platinum displaces when scratched and is moved back when polished and, unless it's a doozy of a scratch, no metal is lost. Gold is lost when it is scratched AND polished.

A spacer of plain metal (1mm is fine) would keep the two original rings apart but the sides of all three would be scratched because that's just going to happen when rings rub.

As far as my earlier comment regarding the drop--don't wear the dropped ring til it's professionally inspected. You might have loosened something, in addition to scratching. If it hit grout or if it landed just right, yes it can scratch, even crack.

Anytime you wear two rings next to each other, regardless of metal, they will scratch each other. The degree of which depends on the metal. Usually platinum tends to "eat" away the gold. Platinum displaces when scratched and is moved back when polished and, unless it's a doozy of a scratch, no metal is lost. Gold is lost when it is scratched AND polished.

A spacer of plain metal (1mm is fine) would keep the two original rings apart but the sides of all three would be scratched because that's just going to happen when rings rub.

As far as my earlier comment regarding the drop--don't wear the dropped ring til it's professionally inspected. You might have loosened something, in addition to scratching. If it hit grout or if it landed just right, yes it can scratch, even crack.

Interesting. Do you recommend wearing platinum over gold if you are going to stack because you can polish and not have loss of metal over time? I don't understand why spacer helps unless it's just to keep micropave from scratching the second nice ring badly if as you say all rings are going to scratch - the only difference will be you have three scratched rings instead of two? And this also changes the look of the stack to have more rings. I think maybe some day I will have a set of rings and now I want to know for me and Marialc121! Thank you Ame :smile:

Last edited:
All rings worn together will scratch one another. There's not a single way around it unless you solder them together into one ring. Any two items worn side by side will scratch, metal or diamonds or not.

The spacer can help when two metal rings are side by side to lessen the amount of scratching. If the spacer is thin and low, only part of the ring's side will be scratched. If either ring has exposed diamonds the spacer keeps them from cutting into another ring. Doesn't matter if it's micropave or not. A shared prong band can eat into the prongs of a solitaire pretty easily and having a spacer helps prevent that. Getting a 1mm spacer splits that rubbing apart and is pretty hard to see without really looking for it.

I think for a set, getting both rings the same metal, be it plat or gold, is better for the rings' longevity, but it should be whatever you actually want. If you find a gold band that you love and want to wear that with your platinum e-ring...whatever you want.

All rings worn together will scratch one another. There's not a single way around it unless you solder them together into one ring. Any two items worn side by side will scratch, metal or diamonds or not.

The spacer can help when two metal rings are side by side to lessen the amount of scratching. If the spacer is thin and low, only part of the ring's side will be scratched. If either ring has exposed diamonds the spacer keeps them from cutting into another ring. Doesn't matter if it's micropave or not. A shared prong band can eat into the prongs of a solitaire pretty easily and having a spacer helps prevent that. Getting a 1mm spacer splits that rubbing apart and is pretty hard to see without really looking for it.

I think for a set, getting both rings the same metal, be it plat or gold, is better for the rings' longevity, but it should be whatever you actually want. If you find a gold band that you love and want to wear that with your platinum e-ring...whatever you want.

Thanks, Ame. Your feedback has been very helpful. :smile: My e-ring and wedding band are platinum but I wanted to space them out with the rose gold band. I'm not too concerned about scratching the rose gold one...I just want to make sure the e-ring and wedding band will be ok since they both are in the micropave setting.

They should be ok. The rose gold band is going to take the heat, but it's not going to disintegrate in a year or anything.

BUT make sure you get whichever one you dropped checked out ASAP, seriously, don't wear it til it's checked out. You don't want to lose a stone, or risk aggravating anything that might have occurred. There might be NOTHING but it's worth making sure.