Question on how metallic LP leathers wear?

cooper1

wag more, bark less
O.G.
Aug 11, 2007
hi everyone!
It has been a while since I have been on the LP SF, but I am interested in buying a metallic bronze leather LP and was wondering if anyone can help me in answering how the metallics wear over time. I know with some other brands, the metallic can flake off the leather or rub off on places like handles, bottom corners etc (high-wear zones).
Also, I always treat my leather bags with Wilson's spray protectant. Can you spray metallic leather LP's with Wilson's without it fading or becoming damaged?
TIA!

...I just really dont want to buy something I may ultimately regret, as I like my bags very useable and functional. I don't want any bag I have to "baby". Thanks, ladies!
:biggrin:

Found this in the "care" thread"...HTH:

I'm so glad I took the time to read this thread! I just purchased a Dylan shoulder bag in Pewter - a color that was specifically made for Nordstrom. This is considered a metallic leather right? I'm not sure if I should spray/protect it before using...Stormy could you offer your expertise?

TIA :flowers:

Hi Belle! I hope you post your Pewter in the Photo reference thread.
Yes it is a Metallic and I do not recommend spraying metallic leathers because the finish itself is protective. Sprays cannot penetrate the finish and can dull the shine. Just enjoy that beauty !

Hmmm.....
thanks for posting that! That's a great help for sure!!!!

So, it tells me not to spray the metallic with a protectant or anything like that....
but do we know the longevity/wear of this type of leather?

COOP !!! Great to 'see' you again !
The LP metallics are very well done, but because it is a finish, it will show (rub) wear on the corners eventually, revealing the base leather, the color of which you can see on your unfinished edges. Usually grey under silver, tan under bronze, etc, so it's not a major distress situation.
Remember the silver and gold brush-off (washed) distressed Dylans ? Those were intentionally made with a contrasting under color and had a sorta matte finish. The new ones are nothing like those. They are proper metallics. I am very impressed with the quality of LP metallics ! The finish is gorgeous, not flashy, and the leather is soft. There is no crackling or artificial feel.They are not flake-prone. You can expect to get great wear with them. Longevity is something I can't comment on, because I rotate too fast. My silver LP looks brand new after several trips. It just seemed to get softer, as you are familiar with LP 'break-ins'. I would love a bronze myself. You have such good taste.
I am not in favor of spraying them, because the chemicals can dull your finish which makes me think it is is harmful, breaking it down somehow, contributing to premature wear IMO. It is OK to use Fiebing's clear topcoats on metallic leather to keep the finish protected on the bottom corners, like a clear topcoat on your nail polish. (if you want perfection).
Wilson's lotion is good for LP metallics !!
Sag (hello!) The Camo is awesome! I conditioned a brand new one today with Wilson's lotion. It is beautiful, supple, interesting and unique. The best part is IF you ever got a spot, it would blend right into the pattern. The pewter has the most magnificent pale bronze tint, looks dark grey-silver in daylight. Just amazing.

(just realized my answer belongs in the Care Thread. If it helps anyone, feel free to copy this post up there)