Question for you ladies...cleaning darkened handle

LibJames

O.G.
Oct 28, 2011
Hi there! I am a usually a Chloe gal, but as of late I have been lurking and stalking and drooling over the Bottega bags in this forum. :smile:

Le Sigh.

I have found a pre-loved BV in camel, but the handle is quite dark with wear. Before I would take a leap and purchase, I thought I would ask you ladies how well these lighter bags clean (if taken to a professional). I have no problem holding out on pulling the trigger and waiting for my Princess Charming to come along at a later date... ha!

Moving this to the care forum, and refining title for more exposure....

I've never taken any BVs to a cobbler for cleaning. My advice would be to call the Chicago boutique and talk to Kevin to see what his experiences have been, and what it would cost if you were to ship it to him.

my experience with BV bags and as a former BV SA is.....
they come cleaner but they don't come clean
BV does not treat their bags with any kind of chemicals to protect the leather
one of the reasons BV leather is so soft
I think the bags develop a patina that makes them better
I only have dark shade bags but I have heard that people wrap scarves around their handles to keep sweat stains off the handles.
One thing I do is I never put hand lotion on my palms
You could take it to a very good dry cleaner, one that you know cleans things like uggs.

Last edited:
my experience with BV bags and as a former BV SA is.....
they come cleaner but they don't come clean
BV does not treat their bags with any kind of chemicals to protect the leather
one of the reasons BV leather is so soft
I think the bags develop a patina that makes them better
I only have dark shade bags but I have heard that people wrap scarves around their handles to keep sweat stains off the handles.
One thing I do is I never put hand lotion on my palms
You could take it to a very good dry cleaner, one that you know cleans things like uggs.

Thank you for your help!

I am sorry to say that pinks do not come that clean
they come cleaner but not by much
all light colors from BV darken on the handles from your skin
try wrapping a scarf around the handles so they don't darken

I'm going to try use a soft gum by Collinol on my pre-loved BV pink handles. If it becomes a HG miracle charm then I'll recommend it to you OP.

My favorite color bag is camel and I think a nice dark patina around the handle is great but I'm the odd one out. I just noticed my Gucci hobo starting to darken and I kinda like it because it makes me feel like it's uniquely mine and I bought it at the boutique. I just feel when a bag wears it shows love for the bag. However, it does depend on if the bag has a patina or if it's showing significant wear as well.

I took a light pink Bottega to the boutique and they first cleaned it and it didn't come out so well so I asked if they could try again and they sent it to Italy and had it entirely repainted and it looks brand new! They did not ask me for a receipt or anything (I bought mine at Saks).

I am sorry to say that pinks do not come that clean
they come cleaner but not by much
all light colors from BV darken on the handles from your skin
try wrapping a scarf around the handles so they don't darken
I was going past a Dior stand and saw an SA demonstrating the tying of a scarf round a Lady dior handle - a work of art!! Tried it on my light green veneta handle and although maybe a bit fussy looking, it does the job of protecting the handle arch from too much wear.