Question for Rolex owners, re: Oyster vs. Jubilee band

I have the stainless steel Oyster Perpetual Datejust with the roman numeral face and I LOVE it...it is more casual and sporty than the Jubilee and great for everyday wear. Good luck with your decision...either way, you can't go wrong :smile:

I have an Explorer I, a medium S/S Datejust and a yellow gold Lady Datejust, and they all have Oyster bracelets: I prefer it to the Jubilee, it's less busy....

I have been two each of the ADs in my town and tried on various watches. I went in knowing two things: First, I definitely wanted the jubilee band, and second, I did not want a silver dial. Naturally, I fell in love with the oyster band and have *almost* decided on the silver stick/baton dial. I like the "bling" of the oyster band a lot, and it has the little adjustment feature that is kind of cool. I was almost totally convinced that the oyster was it, then I tried on a jubilee just to see how a particular dial looked "on" and found that it is really comfortable...perhaps more than the oyster. And of course the new jubilee has the cool hidden clasp, but no adjustment feature. I showed both to hubby, and he says the oyster is more of a men's band. So I am posing this question to the tPF crew...is the jubilee more feminine than the oyster in a larger (34mm to 36mm) watch?

Here are pics for comparison. The jubilee pic is not mine, but I don't know where I found it...tPF or tRF...so I hope the owner does not mind. It is the most beautiful pic of the jubilee on that I have seen!

OYSTER:
IMG_0141.jpg

JUBILEE:
07102008423.jpg

I laughed when you said you knew what you wanted --

I went in knowing two things: First, I definitely wanted the jubilee band, and second, I did not want a silver dial. Naturally, I fell in love with the oyster band and have *almost* decided on the silver stick/baton dial.

That happens to me quite often!!

I guess everyone will have a different opinion on this, but I don't like the jubilee band so much because it does remind me of "my dad's watch". I find it interesting that you husband thinks it is less masculine!

I have the jubilee and for a while I really wanted the oyster. I checked and at the time it was $400 to switch out at the place I purchased (Tournea). I never got around to doing it and now I am digging the jubilee again.... I guess my point is you wont be nailed down to which ever you choose.

I have both: Oyster and Jubilee bands. I would say go for the Jubilee - it's feminine and yes, the new Jubilee band is very cool (I have the older style Jubilee band). Oyster, to me, is more sportier.

I found the jubilee band to be far more comfortable than the oyster. I tried on both, one right after the other, and the difference was remarkable.
I am super sensitive to the weight of all jewelry, including watches. Jubilee won for me, hands down.

The Oyster is a bit more sporty & casual and the Jubilee is slightly more classic & dressy. The Oyster does show scratches more quickly and easily since it is smooth. It is also wider on the wrist compared to the Jubilee. I have small wrists and the Oyster just doesn't work well on me, it is just too wide on my wrist. I personally prefer the Jubilee because it is more my personal style. The new hidden clasp Jubilee withstands the wear from stretching that the older models had. If you hold the old model and the new hidden clasp Jubilee side by side, the new style is MUCH more substantial and solid. However, they are both gorgeous, it is really just which you prefer.

Your story sounds so... deja vu! I also *knew* I wanted a midsize, oyster, smooth bezel datejust...

I walked out with a ladies jubilee (hidden clasp), fluted bezel datejust... and I absolutely love it. I have the white face with roman numerals - looks just like your second pic (though I don't think that is my pic). I love love love it! It's a personal choice, though.

It's interesting that you consider the oyster band to be "bling", because I consider the jubilee band and the fluted bezel to be very blingy... just one of the things I love about my watch.

Either way, you can't go wrong... go with what sings to you... good luck!

ETA: found an old pic I had posted in the other Rolex thread:

http://forum.purseblog.com/the-jewelry-box/rolex-owners-what-do-you-have-92985-7.html#post3058979

Last edited: