Question for LV, Chanel, Gucci and other large logo / monogram lovers

Interesting question, imigratty. One I've had but hadn't dared ask. I was curious but worried about offending.

I do think part of this is simply a matter of taste and preference. In the same way we each like different colors or one person likes to dress boho and the other likes to dress preppy.

I think another part is some people see their bag collection as literally a "collection" as with an art collection or bottle cap collection. So they want multiples to enjoy owning them. Conversely, my "collection" is a working collection. I don't want any bags I don't actively use. These are very different approaches. Both valid but with very different outcomes.

Where I get puzzled, however is on having multiples of the canvas monogram / logo bags in a "working" collection. Variations of the logoed-canvas-of-choice in different shapes really look like essentially the same bag. But, they look the same to me. Quite obviously not to the purchaser. So, my opinion doesn't count. LOL!

I see Chanel differently. Even if you have the same style - say all boys or all classic flaps - there is a wide array of colors, patterns and materials that make the bags look different and therefore have the ability to truly compliment different outfits. While I personally don't want 20 of any one style of any bag, I can absolutely see how someone could have 20 or more and each fill a different visual function.

Regarding logos. I'm weary of the issue of anyone caring what logo is on my bag. Someone having jealousy or jugedment because of a logo on another person's bag is pathetic and petty. I try very hard to ignore any external considerations like that and buy what I want. The only time I will "bow" to that foolishness is when it can affect my career. But, I resent it. I don't see guys having to hide their Rolex or BMW. So, why is my bag an issue???

I actually envy people who find one thing that works for them and then stick to it. It must make getting dressed so easy.

Most logo bags are neutrals, so I can see having the same bag in different styles/shapes. As others have said, duplicates is a fairly common approach to building a wardrobe, like having different styles of shoes in the same color—black flip-flops, black pumps, black flats, black sandals, etc.

I own one LV monogram bag (and I just bought it) because I think it's a great solution for when I can't quite match a shade of brown in my outfit. But no, in general, it’s not my thing either.

Interesting question, imigratty. One I've had but hadn't dared ask. I was curious but worried about offending.

I do think part of this is simply a matter of taste and preference. In the same way we each like different colors or one person likes to dress boho and the other likes to dress preppy.

I think another part is some people see their bag collection as literally a "collection" as with an art collection or bottle cap collection. So they want multiples to enjoy owning them. Conversely, my "collection" is a working collection. I don't want any bags I don't actively use. These are very different approaches. Both valid but with very different outcomes.

Where I get puzzled, however is on having multiples of the canvas monogram / logo bags in a "working" collection. Variations of the logoed-canvas-of-choice in different shapes really look like essentially the same bag. But, they look the same to me. Quite obviously not to the purchaser. So, my opinion doesn't count. LOL!

I see Chanel differently. Even if you have the same style - say all boys or all classic flaps - there is a wide array of colors, patterns and materials that make the bags look different and therefore have the ability to truly compliment different outfits. While I personally don't want 20 of any one style of any bag, I can absolutely see how someone could have 20 or more and each fill a different visual function.

Regarding logos. I'm weary of the issue of anyone caring what logo is on my bag. Someone having jealousy or jugedment because of a logo on another person's bag is pathetic and petty. I try very hard to ignore any external considerations like that and buy what I want. The only time I will "bow" to that foolishness is when it can affect my career. But, I resent it. I don't see guys having to hide their Rolex or BMW. So, why is my bag an issue???

You touched on something here that caught my eye when you said each Chanel Boy would have a different "visual function." (great term, BTW!) I don't own any LV, but knew a young woman years ago who had at least 20 LV monogram bags. This was before I discovered tPF, so the thought of someone having that many bags in the same pattern/color was astounding to me. But to her, they were all different and served different functions. Large, small, handheld, shoulder bag, all the same but all different. I also think the status of the LV monogram was important to her, but she could have had that with a lot fewer bags!

I have a couple of bags that work so well for me that I've bought them in different colors to wear with different outfits or different seasons, I just don't go for monogram or obvious branding. I also have a couple of Chanel flaps, but won't buy more in different colors because they are too small for me to get enough use out of them. But your comment made me wonder if there are two ways of looking at it: visual function vs. usage function? Maybe some of us need more visual variety, where others like the sameness of form with variety of function? Does that even make sense? :P

It can vary within a brand too can't it? Mulberry Darias have a large glossy plaque, but the Bayswater is very low key.

definitely. a significant portion of my collection is Gucci, but I only have 4 mono bags [all very low key] basically everything else I have has nothing [or at least nothing obvious] outside that says Gucci] same with my Dooney & Bourke [although I have quite a few logo] they go from canvas with logos all over, to leather bags that have no obvious outward signs of being DB.

it's not dissimilar from going into a dept. store and buying a turtleneck, or tee, or pants, in every single color, which lots of women do. some people shop that way and others spice it up. there is a gal on here w/like 60+ Bal bags.. the same exact bag in like 60 colors. whatever works. brand loyalty and when you find something you like there is nothing wrong w/sticking with it

it's different, but I would have the same question for them...well maybe not tees if they wear them under their clothes. in this case, I'm not talking about one style bag in different colors [that's pretty obvious why someone would do that] I'm talking about diff bags with the exact same color, specifically logo prints. and again, I understand large vs small, or clutch, but many bags about the same size, with silhouettes not so diff.

What is the pull? Good question! It hits us at different life stages. When I bought Chanel's I never even considered LV. I turned to LV many years later because I wanted a lighter weight bag that was fashionable. Chanel's can get heavy if you buy the larger sizes and the small ones don't fit much. Some of us only want to buy recognizable bags, but I agree a lot of them look alike because that's what is produced by the designers. The "pull" is different for each one of us.

yup, I know it's going to be diff, I just want to hear from ppl who do it. I've just been so curious.

I'm ok with a single logo, but am not a fan of a repeated logo (though I'm growing to like LV empreinte). I simply tend to gravitate towards simpler, "cleaner" styles. But I have friends who have logo bags and while I personally wouldn't carry them, the style works with what they wear and looks good on them.

and it's not logo per se I'm asking about [I tend to stay away from them as well] it's buying a ton of diff bags all with the exact logo pattern [in the exact same color scheme]

so the real question is what I have bolded and underlined. I'm certainly not knocking anyone who has a logo'd bag [esp since I have quite a few] it's just like you said, you have a bunch, with the exact same logo pattern/color scheme, it essentially looks like the same bag. I can tell wen you have a pic of all of them together but....

and I definitely have a "working collection." although I do see each of my bags as works of art...and a part of me is just content in knowing I have some bags in my collection even though they hardly get any use [like my 1964 bamboo top handles] so I guess some ppl could question that too. But just to me it seems as though part of the point is to have a diverse collection, that would include sizes, colors, materials, etc. I'm not really questioning [as someone mentioning before] why choose one style over another, just curious as to the though process behind having a bunch of bags that essentially look the same.

I actually envy people who find one thing that works for them and then stick to it. It must make getting dressed so easy.

Most logo bags are neutrals, so I can see having the same bag in different styles/shapes. As others have said, duplicates is a fairly common approach to building a wardrobe, like having different styles of shoes in the same color—black flip-flops, black pumps, black flats, black sandals, etc.

I own one LV monogram bag (and I just bought it) because I think it's a great solution for when I can't quite match a shade of brown in my outfit. But no, in general, it’s not my thing either.

I totally get the different color thing. That is certainly not what I'm asking, I'm definitely guilty of this myself, I try not to get more then 4 in the same style..but sometimes **** happens lol. But getting diff colors is certainly understandable. I even looked at one collection where a person had the Marc Jacob Stam bag in what seemed most literally every color. Not something I'd do, but I "get it." The question is, why buy a bunch of [very expensive] bags that end up looking like the exact same bag. SAME color, SAME logo, SAME material, etc. Not different colors.

You touched on something here that caught my eye when you said each Chanel Boy would have a different "visual function." (great term, BTW!) I don't own any LV, but knew a young woman years ago who had at least 20 LV monogram bags. This was before I discovered tPF, so the thought of someone having that many bags in the same pattern/color was astounding to me. But to her, they were all different and served different functions. Large, small, handheld, shoulder bag, all the same but all different. I also think the status of the LV monogram was important to her, but she could have had that with a lot fewer bags!

I have a couple of bags that work so well for me that I've bought them in different colors to wear with different outfits or different seasons, I just don't go for monogram or obvious branding. I also have a couple of Chanel flaps, but won't buy more in different colors because they are too small for me to get enough use out of them. But your comment made me wonder if there are two ways of looking at it: visual function vs. usage function? Maybe some of us need more visual variety, where others like the sameness of form with variety of function? Does that even make sense? :P

So again, the issue is not different colors, or the fact that ppl have mono/siggy bags. I have them too, and I have a few bags where I have purchased same style diff color, I guess I am specifically calling out logo bags because they are way obvious. I'm specifically thinking about the LV mono or the squares they have. all coated canvas, same color, but diff styles, I've seen collections where ppl have 20+ bags, and it looks like a store display with a bunch of the same bag, similar sizes, etc. that's my question.

I've never understood the logo thing either but then I also don't understand people who have the same exact style bag just in 10 different colors:lol:. I got rid of all my LV's with logos, just not that into them.
Guess I like variety more than that. It's unfortunate that LV doesn't offer up their canvas bags in other colors. They've been doing the same 'ole, same 'ole for a gazillion years!
And I DO understand the history of the company and why they would continue with their original styles but haven't they heard that variety is the spice of life? Other colors and patterns would be awesome!

I've never understood the logo thing either but then I also don't understand people who have the same exact style bag just in 10 different colors:lol:. I got rid of all my LV's with logos, just not that into them.
Guess I like variety more than that. It's unfortunate that LV doesn't offer up their canvas bags in other colors. They've been doing the same 'ole, same 'ole for a gazillion years!
And I DO understand the history of the company and why they would continue with their original styles but haven't they heard that variety is the spice of life? Other colors and patterns would be awesome!

ok, so guilty of that, well not 10, but I've gotten as many as 4, and there is one bag I have my eye on 3 additional bags [but it's also a diff material...that's got to count for something right :biggrin:]

and yeah, that same old brown is like :nogood: not saying they have to get rid of it, or do something else in lieu of, but they should definitely consider in addition to. I know they did some white multi-color rainbow thing a while back....:confused1: :nogood: :rolleyes: :tdown: :search: I'm thinking prolly not that either, def something else.

ok, so guilty of that, well not 10, but I've gotten as many as 4, and there is one bag I have my eye on 3 additional bags [but it's also a diff material...that's got to count for something right :biggrin:]

and yeah, that same old brown is like :nogood: not saying they have to get rid of it, or do something else in lieu of, but they should definitely consider in addition to. I know they did some white multi-color rainbow thing a while back....:confused1: :nogood: :rolleyes: :tdown: :search: I'm thinking prolly not that either, def something else.
Right, they've done the limited editions before which I've never cared for either. It's just strange to me that they haven't done much variation on their monogram as far as colors and the same with the ebene print with colors.
Maybe someday?

I don't own any signature bags nor do I have any LV (and I struggle to the point of psychic pain to keep my "active grouping," as I call it, below 25 bags though I've had at least 100 cycle through my "grouping… LOL" in the last couple of years.) Anyway what I know from other areas of my life is that the mind of a collector sees big differences where others see nothing. So if you love something so much, the differences in styles and usage are huge to you, and well worth adding to your collection. I always think of that scene from the Devil Wears Prada where Andrea the assistant snickers when MIranda Priestley says that the two aqua-with-silver-hardware belts are so different. Everyone involved in fashion saw the big difference in how each belt could be used with that dress while the newbie saw nothing. My musings on this topic… a good one!

lol...ok that's funny

anyone who does what you're having trouble understanding - collecting items that look virtually the same - would be considered a collector, or have a lifestyle that needs a particular bag type without much variation. assume you go to work at the law office 6 days a week and need to carry super heavy files... you love your Neverfull bag but are scared the handles might break, so you buy a back-up to that bag in a slightly different size so your 1st bag doesn't get completely ruined. then, you see another one come out with a new lining and you get that one, even though it looks really similar to the first two and has the same print. but, the lining is different, or the zipper pull, or it's got pink around the edge. LV and Chanel make slight variations each season to their main collections, so even the mono/de prints will have something different each time which someone who collects would justify. and someone who goes to work 6 days a week to a law office doesn't need to have crossbodies and clutches and etc. it's lifestyle, especially if you see a closet is filled with the same size/brand/print; professional women will often cultivate a look and the same bag in the same print, but slightly different size is part of that. not straying too far from comfort and how you look each day. i have 5 LV DE prints, all in small crossbody sizes... i love crossbody and the print. they all look slightly different, the handles are all slightly different, and you would never know that the inside linings and pockets are slightly different.

I totally get the different color thing. That is certainly not what I'm asking, I'm definitely guilty of this myself, I try not to get more then 4 in the same style..but sometimes **** happens lol. But getting diff colors is certainly understandable. I even looked at one collection where a person had the Marc Jacob Stam bag in what seemed most literally every color. Not something I'd do, but I "get it." The question is, why buy a bunch of [very expensive] bags that end up looking like the exact same bag. SAME color, SAME logo, SAME material, etc. Not different colors.

So again, the issue is not different colors, or the fact that ppl have mono/siggy bags. I have them too, and I have a few bags where I have purchased same style diff color, I guess I am specifically calling out logo bags because they are way obvious. I'm specifically thinking about the LV mono or the squares they have. all coated canvas, same color, but diff styles, I've seen collections where ppl have 20+ bags, and it looks like a store display with a bunch of the same bag, similar sizes, etc. that's my question.

I know you wanted to hear from people who actually do this, but I think it is just about different uses--crossbody, satchel or tote; shoulder strap or handheld; dressy or casual, etc.

There is a point where it gets silly, but I have seven black bags for seven different uses, and I still don't always feel I have the right one for every outfit.

Last edited:
I know you wanted to hear from people who actually do this, but I think it is just about different uses--crossbody, satchel or tote; shoulder strap or handheld; dressy or casual, etc.

There is a point where it gets silly, but I have seven black bags for seven different uses, and I still don't always feel I have the right one for every outfit.

I have way more than seven black, seven red-ish, and seven white bags...but there are some appreciable differences, for instance, some materials are different, smooth vs pebbled leather, color variations [some ombre, vs glossy, flat, etc] hardware differences, and of course styles [casual, business, formal, etc.], sizes, etc. To me it seems a bit diff with colored bags, as there are many noticeable variations, whereas with the logos, it's EXACTLY the same [except size and silhouette] no color variation, same material, same style [as in casual] etc.

anyone who does what you're having trouble understanding - collecting items that look virtually the same - would be considered a collector, or have a lifestyle that needs a particular bag type without much variation. assume you go to work at the law office 6 days a week and need to carry super heavy files... you love your Neverfull bag but are scared the handles might break, so you buy a back-up to that bag in a slightly different size so your 1st bag doesn't get completely ruined. then, you see another one come out with a new lining and you get that one, even though it looks really similar to the first two and has the same print. but, the lining is different, or the zipper pull, or it's got pink around the edge. LV and Chanel make slight variations each season to their main collections, so even the mono/de prints will have something different each time which someone who collects would justify. and someone who goes to work 6 days a week to a law office doesn't need to have crossbodies and clutches and etc. it's lifestyle, especially if you see a closet is filled with the same size/brand/print; professional women will often cultivate a look and the same bag in the same print, but slightly different size is part of that. not straying too far from comfort and how you look each day. i have 5 LV DE prints, all in small crossbody sizes... i love crossbody and the print. they all look slightly different, the handles are all slightly different, and you would never know that the inside linings and pockets are slightly different.

I guess that's one take on it. Although I [an attorney] find that most firms would want something a bit more business and less flashy [i.e., no logos, think Hermes or Prada] but I do know many lawyers who have brief cases that have logos. But even with that, I switch it up to match my outfit. but totally get the backup idea. that makes a lot of sense. I have actually considered buying a second of the exact same bag for some LE bags I have, just in case if one breaks or gets ruined.

Personally I don't like splash logos, monograms, etc - I prefer much more minimal and simple bags. I like logos when they are discreet and "fit" well into the bag design.

I think anyway that monograms I particular are like a fil rouge that make a collection distinctive. So I reckon handbags collectors appreciate them. But I don't want to generalise here...

I only have one LV monogram, a Neverfull GM in DE.

Got it because it's a very practical bag, light, canvas for easy clean up, and I needed something large for a drive from NYC to Fl that I wouldn't have to worry about.
I imagine that's at least some of the appeal for those that have them in various sizes, and styles.

I do though have about 20 Balenciaga bags. Most are the same style just different colors. One color I have in 2 styles, and when it comes to black, I have 3 with different hardware.
I
love the bag, it works for my lifestyle so there's no reason for me to change.
And you know what they say, if it ain't broke..

I only have one LV monogram, a Neverfull GM in DE.

Got it because it's a very practical bag, light, canvas for easy clean up, and I needed something large for a drive from NYC to Fl that I wouldn't have to worry about.
I imagine that's at least some of the appeal for those that have them in various sizes, and styles.

I do though have about 20 Balenciaga bags. Most are the same style just different colors. One color I have in 2 styles, and when it comes to black, I have 3 with different hardware.
I
love the bag, it works for my lifestyle so there's no reason for me to change.
And you know what they say, if it ain't broke..

i think i could own hundreds of Bals and it wouldn't be enough... those bags are crazy practical for me and i keep on getting them in various shades :smile:

I know they did some white multi-color rainbow thing a while back....:confused1: :nogood: :rolleyes: :tdown: :search: I'm thinking prolly not that either, def something else.
ROFLMAO!!!! OMG!! Get out of my head! Yes that white (and black) multi I don't know what the heck....agh! Just no! LOL!!!!😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 Try again! There has to be a better way to update the brown logoed canvas.