question for Birkin owners

anilouann

O.G.
Aug 26, 2006
I would like to know:which leather is "better",or do you prefer for a Birkin,Togo or taurillon Clemence?
Clemence is soft and slouchy,Togo is more straight,but how are they after several months?
Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

anilouann, I think you need to first ask yourself a few questions: 1) do you need a weather resistant bag 2) do you prefer slouchy or stiff/firm 3) can you carry a heavier bag? If you can answer those questions, we can open the discussion to ALL H leathers!! Unless of course you have already narrowed it down to togo and clemence. There are so many luscious leathers, we want to help you make the most informed decision! ;)

I think they are about the same, except clemence is slightly slouchier, not too much but it is a little. Its also a touch heavier. But I like that it is softer when you run your hand across it. Its not scratchy like togo. Togo is a nice leather too though. You really cant go wrong with those two choices.

Dear Hermesmonkey,I'll try to be precisier:I love soft leather(clemence?),the beautifull shape of the Birkin(Togo?),I prefer it resistant and I don't really care if it's heavy or not(I won't have to pay for a fitness club:P).
That's why I'm interested in your experience!I didn't know ones was heavier...:shame:,could you tell tell me more about about these leathers?I know both(I've seen and touched a Togo Birkin,and a Clemence Lindy,and for the Lindy,Clemence is really perfect)

Thanks Luccibags.
Does the Togo leather become softer after several months?

I bought my 35cm birkin in togo last year and noticed it gets a little slouchy after 2 months. Wanted to buy a 35cm birkin clemence from a friend but did not like that it slouches much more and it is also heavier. Definitely prefer togo.

I personally love the feel of clemence more(very lush to me).I realize eventually my birkin will slouch but since I got it in a 30cm it shouldn't affect it as much as a larger size or so I hope.

I personally prefer clemence. It is slouchy and soft, but it still has the definite shape of the Birkin. I own only one Birkin, in clemence, and it has resisted a few raindrops and a lot of travel so far. It still looks as it did on the first day!

Togo can become very slouchy. Amount of use is a big determining factor in how slouchy it becomes.
Many people love a slouchy Birkin, sort of like a Mou Bolide.
Actuallly if you have more than one Birkin, it is fun to have stiff ones and slouchy ones.
The slouchy ones are great for air travel, as they can squeeze under seats or in overhead bins.

Dear Hermesmonkey,I'll try to be precisier:I love soft leather(clemence?),the beautifull shape of the Birkin(Togo?),I prefer it resistant and I don't really care if it's heavy or not(I won't have to pay for a fitness club:P).
That's why I'm interested in your experience!I didn't know ones was heavier...:shame:,could you tell tell me more about about these leathers?I know both(I've seen and touched a Togo Birkin,and a Clemence Lindy,and for the Lindy,Clemence is really perfect)

Togo - smaller grains and would hold its shape fairly well though it would soften a little over time.

Clemence - bigger and flatter grains, tend to slouch upon use. Colours also appear slightly more saturated/darker than Togo.

Notwithstanding the above, I would have to say the size of the bag play a critical part in terms of the slouch and weight factors. For a 30cm, slouch and weight factors do not matter so much for Togo and Clemence. But in 35cm and bigger, Clemence is noticeably heavier and would become slouchier as time goes by (note, usage and storage of the bag plays an important part too). Also, both Togo and Clemence are fairly hardy and weather resistance/friendly.

Lastly, there's no price difference for Togo or Clemence bag in the same size (be it gold or palladium hardware).

It depends entirely on personal preference. All leathers will get soften after years of use.

Togo may feel a wee bit stiff at the beginning but it will slouch slightly after use. Although I find that some newer Togo bags are quite soft.

Clemence has a slouchy look and I find it heavier compared to Togo. Maybe because Clemence leather is thicker.

Thanks to everyone,I'm just back from the Hermes Boutique...I've found something there...my first Hermès Bag:a 35 Togo chocolate Birkin,palladium hardware.:heart:

Attachments

• Hermes chocolate Birkin .jpg
    Hermes chocolate Birkin .jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 220