Question about Spaying a Kitten

maybe just ask your vet about the neck vs back legs. just say you've heard reports about one being better than the other and see what they say. they shouldn't get offended.

i think your vet knows what he or she is talking about . i trust my vet over any breeder but then again i never got cats from a breeder i paid 30 bucks for my cat at a shelter. but i want a persion

Hi :smile: I'm a cat breeder myself, have been for some 18 years or so (stopped counting, makes me feel old ... :biggrin:) and I have to say it sounds like this breeder is going a bit overboard! I do not breed Persians but I am aware of their facial structure, however if the cat is healthy and have no problems breathing before the procedure there should be no problems during the procedure. That being said, anaestesia is always a risk for any living creature but since neutering and spaying are everyday procedures for vets I would say the risk is minimal!

You should trust your vet, he/she has performed this surgery on probably 100's of cats and should know the drill :smile:

Do your research and I mean go and look at books in a library, not online stuff! And try and get a second vet opinion from a vet in your area that specializes in purebred cats. Something sounds a bit suspicious about the contract your breeder has. Probably your vet is right but it's a good idea get that second opinion and do some good old book research yourself just in case there is something about Persians that do require them to have special anesthesia.

I don't understand your breeder's rationale at all. The health contract and the spaying procedure are two separate things, and I don't see how/why she is tying them together. Also, I'm curious if your breeder knows a vet who would perform the procedure the way she wants? If so, maybe you could talk to that person just to see what he/she has to say. I lost a pet to anesthesia during a routine dental procedure, but it had nothing to do with pre- or post-op sedation. It was the actual breathing tube that killed my cat because the tech accidentally ruptured my kitty's trachea with it. So obviously, I'm not a big fan of general anesthesia on a cat, but it seems like it would be absolutely necessary for a hysterectomy! (which is what spaying amounts to). If I were in your situation, I would talk to whatever vet your breeder can produce (if she can), then unless you were 100% convinced by this vet, go back to your own vet and discuss with them what their complete procedure is, and who is going to do it - i.e. licensed vet tech, the actual vet, or other staff member. The last thing I would worry about is the health contract.
Hope that helps!

P.S. Don't hesitate to have a discussion with your vet about the vaccination sites. A good vet should not be offended by an owner's concern. If you feel like you have to tiptoe around the vet's feelings, then you won't be able to make the best decisions for your pet - which is the most important thing!

Thank you! I am still trying to find a vet that will do the surgery in the way that she wants (I don't think she knows of anyone.. I live in MD and she's in FL) My other persian did fine at my vet so if I can't find a vet that will "comply", I am going to use my vet anyway.

sedatives dont kill cats. we use them on all cat spays at my hospital. including persians

They very well can cause death - in cats, dogs, humans etc. if dosed or used incorrectly. There are different types of sedatives to be used for different kinds of operations, some are meant for short term use, others are for longer surgeries. But problems from sedatives are rare, I completely agree with that! :smile:

OP - the breeder of your cat might remember 'the old days' (15 years ago ...) where a certain drug was used often, in Europe it was called Dexdomitor/Domitor it might be named something else in US, that caused quite a few cats to die during or after simple surgeries. That particular drug is no longer used for surgeries in Europe and I would be surprised if it was used anywhere else - don't think vet will use a drug that is known to cause problems if others are available! I wouldn't worry one bit about having my Persian fixed using the regular sedative, I've never heard that they should be more sensitive to sedatives than other breeds - and I do know a lot of Persian breeders! :smile: