Question about hallmark buffed off of Tiffany bean

Susan45

Jan 4, 2009
I just bought a Tiffany bean and the seller offered to polish it and make it look like new. I bought it on eBay. When I got it the seller had polished it and the 750 on the back of the bean is now smudged and doesn't show. The Elsa PERETTI shows but it a little lighter and the Tiffany & Co still shows. Does that that decrease the value of it if I ever try to sell it? I was quite disappointed. He will take it back. He seems to think I am a difficult customer and he said he was just trying to make it look new for me. My thoughts are he should have known better than to buff off the hallmark. Am I being overly critical?
Also I just looked at my email and he is offering a partial refund. If I take the partial refund what would be fair? Thanks!

Last edited:
It's really up to you. If it was authentic Tiffany, I wouldn't mind if the hallmark was slightly buffed away considering it's not part of the design. That being said, if you do plan on reselling it - I know I probably wouldn't gravitate towards a piece with the hallmark buffed off so you might run into some trouble there.

If you really don't want to keep it for the sake of reselling it for it's highest price, I would double check the listing and see what kind of refund was originally offered. Unless stated 'no refunds' I wouldn't take a partial refund. You are basically paying for nothing. If you are sending the merchandise back (assuming you don't want to keep it) then I would expect a full refund. I really don't understand the offer of a partial refund since you aren't keeping anything and he is basically keeping your money for sending you something that you don't want because of something he did to it. If the hallmark was clear in the pictures, it should have been clear when he sent it to you. Don't accept a partial refund if you don't want to keep it.

It's really up to you. If it was authentic Tiffany, I wouldn't mind if the hallmark was slightly buffed away considering it's not part of the design. That being said, if you do plan on reselling it - I know I probably wouldn't gravitate towards a piece with the hallmark buffed off so you might run into some trouble there.

If you really don't want to keep it for the sake of reselling it for it's highest price, I would double check the listing and see what kind of refund was originally offered. Unless stated 'no refunds' I wouldn't take a partial refund. You are basically paying for nothing. If you are sending the merchandise back (assuming you don't want to keep it) then I would expect a full refund. I really don't understand the offer of a partial refund since you aren't keeping anything and he is basically keeping your money for sending you something that you don't want because of something he did to it. If the hallmark was clear in the pictures, it should have been clear when he sent it to you. Don't accept a partial refund if you don't want to keep it.
Thanks for your response. He will give a full refund if I return it and a partial if I keep it. Sorry if I worded it wrong. I didn't buy to resell but I always want that option in the future. I will probably send it back.

That would honestly make me question it's authenticity a bit, and it would also disappoint me a great deal, esp since now most of the beans do not have the markings. I would've waited til I got it and had Tiffany polish it. If you love it and it doesn't bother you, keep it, but if it is bothersome, return it.

I say it depends what kind of deal you got on the item. I have medium Elsa Peretti eternal circle. I got a fantastic deal on it. Hardly any scratches, but the hallmarks on the back were worn down quite a bit. It drove the perfectionist in me crazy...so I am currently having it restored and restamped at Tiffany. The charge was $47. It was worth it to me.

ame said:
That would honestly make me question it's authenticity a bit, and it would also disappoint me a great deal, esp since now most of the beans do not have the markings. I would've waited til I got it and had Tiffany polish it. If you love it and it doesn't bother you, keep it, but if it is bothersome, return it.

I was going to say this too. How are you sure it's even authentic if it polished off the markings? I've had my pieces polished a couple of times and they never wore off.

I think it would be tough to polish off the markings is one polish job... I mean I can't imagine how....but I do know that they do wear off over time. Like I said, the piece I got was definitely completely worn down...but it's in Tiffanys hands so it is authentic

Thank you I agree it shouldn't have buffed off with one polishing. (I think the person who polished it probably over polished it) I think I will go wth my gut feeling and return it. It doesn't have that special feeling and it would probably always bother me. It was supposed to be something that makes me happy and I have wanted a gold one for so long. I will wait and get another one. Thanks so much for your responses!