Tech Question about Facebook - sending messages

bnjj

Jovi Junkie
O.G.
Apr 20, 2007
I have a Facebook account that I almost never log into as I really don't get all the FB hype. Anyway, I have a question I hope of one you FB experts can answer for me.

I have all my privacy settings set to friends only and do not allow non friends to contact me by sending messages to my inbox - I have "send a message" turned off so no one who is not a friend can message me. Yesterday I got a message from someone I knew many, many years ago in my inbox. We are not friends and have no mutual friends. It was not a message that could have been posted to a group we both belong to or anything as the content was very specific to me.

I had a friend who has a dummy account that I am not friends with search for me and when she did it showed her no way to contact me, which is exactly what it should have showed this other person.

How is it possible that this person sent me a personal message to my inbox?

did the person send you a friendship request allong with the message?
people can do that, add you as a friend and include a "personal massage" that would end up in your inbox...

They might have sent you a friendship request and sent a message along with it. I do this all the time in case the person doesn't remember who I am.

This is my guess as well. Anyone can send anyone a friendship request and a personal note along with it.

I do this when I reach out to college or earlier friends I haven't seen in 20+ years, and actually pretty much all the time as it just adds a personal touch to the request.

They might have sent you a friendship request and sent a message along with it. I do this all the time in case the person doesn't remember who I am.

This was not a friend request with a message. Like I said, this was a message direct to my inbox.

As an aside, today this person has now sent me a friend request - no message attached to it.

Last edited:
This was not a friend request with a message. Like I said, this was a message direct to my inbox.

As an aside, today this person has now sent me a friend request - no message attached to it.

it's possible that the two were sent at the same time and the friend request just didn't show up immediately. facebook seems to have been trying out some new format stuff lately, and sometimes my stuff doesn't show up when it should.

Well, Amanda, that's anyone's guess. That actually did cross my mind as a possibility as well though.

I'm having a friend with a dummy account send me a friend request right now just to test something.

The thing that kept niggling at me regarding some of the suggestions above is that the message that someone sends with a friend request does not go into your inbox. It just shows up with the friend request. I just tested this with a dummy account and the message I sent with the request just shows up in the area where you accept/ignore, not the inbox.

I have got to stop thinking about this as it is going to drive me bonkers.