Question about exchanges

When threads get moved - part of the background can get lost.
Unfortunately this question highlights the problem of any transaction when you are not fluent in the language of the place.
Hermes policy may not be the same worldwide.
Here in the UK we have particularly strong buyer protection if goods are defective or not up the purpose for which they are sold. Other that distance selling (mail order or internet) you do not have the right to return or exchange if you do not like or want the item for some reason.
Where things are discretionary so much depends on the rapport your establish with the staff in any given shop.

Reactions: ava&ava
When threads get moved - part of the background can get lost.
Unfortunately this question highlights the problem of any transaction when you are not fluent in the language of the place.
Hermes policy may not be the same worldwide.
Here in the UK we have particularly strong buyer protection if goods are defective or not up the purpose for which they are sold. Other that distance selling (mail order or internet) you do not have the right to return or exchange if you do not like or want the item for some reason.
Where things are discretionary so much depends on the rapport your establish with the staff in any given shop.

PJW, thank you so much. Which is why I turn to the ladies of Hermes in this forum, to know of the Hermes Paris policy. I would think it is great if Hermes Paris has a policy in english... at least us non french speaking customers can understand too.

If I were to buy something I wasn’t sure about I’d ask the specific boutique and I would explain why. For example ‘i am buying this as a gift and my fussy mother in law, may not like it.’ With Hermes in particular I ve never exchanged or returned anything, the items are expensive and I think about it before hand. Sometimes I may ask them if they can hold something for me, and they seem happy to do that. With online purchases it’s diferent because they can be returned or refunded. ( I think it’s the law here) But again I’ve never done it myself. I very rarely return things, even at places like M&S where they have an easy, no questions asked return policy.
Likewise I would be just a little annoyed if I bought something that was someone else’s return.

If I were to buy something I wasn’t sure about I’d ask the specific boutique and I would explain why. For example ‘i am buying this as a gift and my fussy mother in law, may not like it.’ With Hermes in particular I ve never exchanged or returned anything, the items are expensive and I think about it before hand. Sometimes I may ask them if they can hold something for me, and they seem happy to do that. With online purchases it’s diferent because they can be returned or refunded. ( I think it’s the law here) But again I’ve never done it myself. I very rarely return things, even at places like M&S where they have an easy, no questions asked return policy.
Likewise I would be just a little annoyed if I bought something that was someone else’s return.

Ladysarah, thanks for your input. It was his first time there and frankly speaking why I helped my friend about an exchange question is not asking how people may feel abut "buying something that was someone else's return" or how people" expects expensive goods to be showroom fresh and not a previously sold item that had been returned".

I wanted to help him with his exchange and if what the staff at H saying was true (can only exchange with scarf/shoes).
Let me emphasize, that all I wanted is to know about their policy (which was written at the back of the receipt) but unfortunately I could not understand as it was in French.

I mean, don't you find it just weird like how one store mentions that he can only exchange it with scarf/shoes and another store says that it is fine with leather goods just as long as it is not exchanged with bags?

Reactions: lulilu
If you raise any issue on a public forum you have to accept that a discussion will develop of its own accord.

I mean, don't you find it just weird like how one store mentions that he can only exchange it with scarf/shoes and another store says that it is fine with leather goods just as long as it is not exchanged with bags?

I can agree that this may seem weird, but I do not know all the circumstances.
It might be helpful for you to know that the wording on London stores receipts include this phrase, which, if, and I emphazise, if, extrapolated overseas gives over-riding discretion to the Store Manager.

Refunds and exchanges for non-faulty goods will be dealt with in accordance with this policy, subject always to the discretion of the relevant store manager.

That could explain the differing experiences your friend encountered.
There are no further guidelines relevant to your query.

It might be helpful for you to know that the wording on London stores receipts include this phrase, which, if, and I emphazise, if, extrapolated overseas gives over-riding discretion to the Store Manager.

Refunds and exchanges for non-faulty goods will be dealt with in accordance with this policy, subject always to the discretion of the relevant store manager.

This! Thank you.

I think this is where I will stop and will inform my friend to view this thread carefully so that he might not make the same mistake again.

Really appreciate all the comments and helpful posts. It is always good to know that people expects expensive goods to be store fresh!

Reactions: tonkamama
I’m a regular at my Hermes store and have an SA I work with religiously. I recently bought the Paris Loafers and in store they fit beautifully. However when I put them on for a work function two days later it was like they were a different shoe. My mistake is I wore them. They caused a hideous blister to the point where I’m still limping three days later.

I tried them again a few days later and now the left shoe barely fits.

due to the cost I texted my SA and explained the situation to see if an exchange is possible. I know they’re worn and I’m probably out of luck. However, I’m a pretty frequent customer there (the manager, buyer and other SAs know me) and hope something can be done.

Has anyone had success with a similar situation?

I’m a regular at my Hermes store and have an SA I work with religiously. I recently bought the Paris Loafers and in store they fit beautifully. However when I put them on for a work function two days later it was like they were a different shoe. My mistake is I wore them. They caused a hideous blister to the point where I’m still limping three days later.

due to the cost I texted my SA and explained the situation to see if an exchange is possible. I know they’re worn and I’m probably out of luck. However, I’m a pretty frequent customer there (the manager, buyer and other SAs know me) and hope something can be done.

Unfortunately H has been known to even refuse a return on clearly defective shoes after they’ve been worn (they tend to insist on sending it away for months to be fixed) so I don’t think they will be moved by your experience. You can certainly try to get an exchange from your SA but I would brace myself for a negative outcome. Your best bet is to try to resell the shoes yourself, although likely at a loss, and keep this experience in mind for future shoe purchases. :sad:

I don't think generally they'll be able to honor your request unless the shoe was genuinely defective, however, I think you still have solutions! There are many ways to stretch a shoe, with the easiest being taking it to a reputable cobbler in your area. If not, you can check online for a few different ways (blowdryer trick, stuffing them/shoetree, etc.) and hopefully, that'll break them in a bit for you. For the blisters, have you tried using moleskin on your feet to prevent the rubbing?

I don't think generally they'll be able to honor your request unless the shoe was genuinely defective, however, I think you still have solutions! There are many ways to stretch a shoe, with the easiest being taking it to a reputable cobbler in your area. If not, you can check online for a few different ways (blowdryer trick, stuffing them/shoetree, etc.) and hopefully, that'll break them in a bit for you. For the blisters, have you tried using moleskin on your feet to prevent the rubbing?
I was reminded about moleskin right after the shoe incident by a friend who has Gucci loafers and told me about them. I shouldn’t have been in such a rush to pop them on and head out to a work event. I did get shoe stretchers!

Reactions: youssefm