Travel Question about European Cell Phones

digby723

Back to reality
May 2, 2006
I'm not sure if this is in the correct place, but if it's not, please forgive me!

I'm looking to travel to Europe for about 3 months this summer and am looking into purchasing a used cell phone via ebay so that I can use it pay as I go. I used to have a European cell phone a couple of years ago but sold it on ebay because it was quite old and didn't think I'd ever need it again. My question is, what is a good universal carrier? I had Oragne before, but, I'm looking to use this phone from Protugal to Hungary and everywhere in between! Should I go w/ Virgin? Vodafone? T-Mobile? Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!!!!

i'd get an unlocked phone so you can switch the sim cards as you go without having to find a particular network's card when you arrive in a new place. some of the cards only work in one country so i wouldn't rely on one card being enough for the entire time.

I'd get the current phone unlocked and buy a pay as you go SIM card over there. I'm using my UK phone over here in US so I'm guessing it's possible the other way around.

I'm really hesitant to purchase an unlocked phone over here in the USA. I know I can go to the Sonystyle stores and purchase one, but, I don't want to pay reatil for a phone, and I don't really trust ebay for looking specifically for an unlocked phone. Also, I know sim cards run about $30 or so, and I really have no desire to purchase multiple sim cards while I am there.

I currently have an AT&T razor and wouldn't even know where to go to get a phone unlocked.

Countries I am visiting will be the UK, Portugal, Spain, France, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Hungary and Italy. I don't care if the phone works in between cities when I travel by train and plane, but, as long as it works in the major cities that I will be staying in in each of these countries I'm ok!

You can ask any SA in your AT&T store to recommend where to get your phone unlocked. I'm on AT&T too. I think T-Mobile might be a good carrier but I'm not sure about Portugal & Hungary.

i can't imagine that any of the major networks wouldn't have a partner in each european country. i've never not been able to use my british or finnish phones anywhere, but it's always cheaper to have a local sim card. you can usually find a pay as you go card that gives you most of its cost in call credit, and you save so much on calls that it's usually worth having a few unless you're only somewhere for a day or so. if you're only going to be in each place for a really short amount of time there are special travel sim cards you can get, BA sell one with a phone on their flights (http://www.highlifeshop.com/p-738-bluefire-wireless-sim-card-and-phone.aspx). esiders (i think) recommended another service on recent similar thread http://forum.purseblog.com/bon-voya...-as-you-go-cell-phones-for-europe-342402.html , maybe look into that.

to unlock yr at&t phone...just call them up and tell them u need yr phone overseas. and they will provide u with an unlock code. i did it with my nokia and my brother's motorola

Hi! :smile: Here in Italy you can find mobile phones unlocked for few money!
In example: http://compraonline.mediaworld.it/w...eId=20000&categoryId=1572&relpage=1&iscache=1
As you can see the prices start from 25 euro only! For that price you'll find a mobile which does only basic things but I don't think you are interested in more than texting and calling! You can buy the sim of the operator in a store. Here in Italy you'll find TIM, VODAFONE, 3 and WIND. I would recommend you Vodafone because in my opinion is the best. Here in Italy you can buy at the newsagents and "tabacchino" (where you can buy stamps, cigarettes etc) card to recharge the money in your mobile, they are 5-10-25 euro and more valued. This way you don't have to pay a monthly tax that there is for not prepaid SIM.
If you need more infos just ask! :yes:

to unlock yr at&t phone...just call them up and tell them u need yr phone overseas. and they will provide u with an unlock code. i did it with my nokia and my brother's motorola

My husband had his phone unlocked too...he just called up the provider and asked them to please unlock it. ;)

I also suggest Vodafone! Good luck!

Thanks for the info guys!! I didn't even know I could call AT&T and get them to unlock my phone!! However, the phone I have now is on contract, so, I will look into getting a new USA sim so I can pay as I go and use it overseas. I'm still going to look into rates though, to see if using a USA sim is cheaper to make/recieve calls from USA abroad, or, if a European phone would be cheaper.