Question about 1st Chanel bag purchase

NHgirly

Apr 12, 2012
Hello. I am planning a trip to Paris for January 2015. I plan to purchase my first Chanel bag. At this point I am thinking of getting a classic jumbo double flap with ghw (and also maybe a woc). I am 5 ft 8 inches tall and about 155 pounds. I believe I will save a significant amount by purchasing the bag there compared to the US, especially with the VAT refund. Please let me know your thoughts on that.

My big question is this.....does the Rue de Cambon boutique in Paris have a large inventory? I am afraid I will get there and they will be sold out of the bag I want to purchase. I have read about waiting lists on the classic flaps.....that would be a huge bummer.

Also, does anyone know if Chanel plans another price increase before February 2015? I know they increased European prices in April 2014.

Thanks so much for your help!!! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Hi, usually rue cambon is quite well stock, the best is go there in the morning. If they do not have the item you want they would be able to help you to locate one in other Chanel boutique.. I think jumbo is a good size for you.. I don't think they will have another round of increase within a year.

Hi, usually rue cambon is quite well stock, the best is go there in the morning. If they do not have the item you want they would be able to help you to locate one in other Chanel boutique.. I think jumbo is a good size for you.. I don't think they will have another round of increase within a year.

Thanks for your response and advice. I will make sure to shop in the morning. I know LV has been doing two price increases a year. Wasn't sure about Chanel, but it's good to hear you don't think they will bump prices up again.

I got mine in Rome as I didn't want to 'risk' not having the one I liked in Paris due to some limited stock as my gf who went to Paris had difficulty finding the exact one she wanted. However when I did go there I found the department store called Lafayettes and Le printemps who stock Chanel in several levels throughout their store and u can get your vat back straight away if u leave via Paris within 2 weeks (maybe ten days so pls check!). So at Le printemps I got another woc there with plenty of stock. Try your luck at the main store but if u can't find stock go to the department stores they will have it. Let us know if you are successful would love to hear what's happening in Paris re their availability!

The good thing about Paris is that they have several fantastic Chanel shops to visit. If one place has low stock the other may not. Personally I do not like Rue de Cambon Chanel as much as some of the others. I prefer 51 Avenue Montaigne. I always hit there first!! Then I cross the road for my second hit but normally no 51 never disappoints. Don't be put off if you don't see what you want out on display, they normally have a lot around the back.

For your height and weight you will look amazing with a classic jumbo (even a medium/large would look great on you if you lets say go for a less 'day bag' and more 'evening' look) Try to narrow it down to the exact color leather. When they see you know what you want and that its just down to trying it on and getting the type of leather/hardwear/size they will be more helpful.

I would target the classic bag first and then keep your mind open. Maybe you'll fall in love with something unexpected? The WOC will always be there.. I'm still trying to figure out if mine was worth the amount I payed or if I should have just concentrated on the classic flaps and boys before the price increase happened! Its not that old an aquisition but I struggle with if it suits my frame (im 5''10+ and about 125pounds) maybe I just got the fabric wrong? Ugh I don't know! You'll see what I mean when you try it on. It does look so different in different finishes!

I know nothing of prices and tax so I can not advise there but logically I would think Paris the home of Chanel is the place to buy. At least when it comes to Hermes.. that's where I got the best price on my bags!

Enjoy your trip!! I hope you find your dream bag and have a great experience!!