Quality of new vs vintage LV bags?

Can someone say if there is really any quality difference between new bags vs the old/vintage? Is it true that vintage/older bags were made better?
There are A LOT of threads that discuss this question. You should do a search.
In my own experience, there is no significant quality difference. I was an LV employee in the early 2000s and there were plenty of issues then... but no internet forums for people to complain about them!

Nevertheless, I think it's fair to point out a couple of things. First, the overall quality of the vachette leather used today is not a great as what the company used in the early 90s. I do agree with that assessment even though it's a minimal difference. More importantly, there is a difference in design and some of the newer bags are not made to last as long as some of the older ones. We all know that bags with folded canvas corners will be prone to wear and rubbing for example.

So in the end, you have to be smart when you purchase a bag: look for design elements that make the bag stronger or weaker. You have to make an informed decision because not all bags will last as long as the next and some will be more fragile than others.

One very obivous difference between a vintage bag I have from the early 90s and a bag i have from the 2000s is that the vachetta leather on the 90s bag goes all the way thorugh / is thick, wheres on the new bag, it's just a thin coveirng of vachetta that is covering a soft plastic material underneath. It could be a design issue to make the bag light, but also cheaper...

I did my research before posting and I have found some informations about specific bags like speedy's or Alma's but I have not found specific thread about this. I tried to use words like quality for example. If there is more of them then my apologies. I'm new here I will try my best to find more info in existing threads.

While I have read about folding pieces, it's very helpful about looking for elements that make a bag stronger. Had no idea about that so guess I have to do my homework since I already decided against metis. Now I have to dig deeper about speedy B25 de.

There was a lot of people complaining about canvas quality about thickening etc. so I was a little confused if there is really that big difference.

I appreciate your answers!

My anecdotal opinion when comparing two similar items: a Keepall from 1993 (made in USA), vs a Speedy B from 2017 (made in France.) Maybe the only real noticable thing is that the vachetta is a little more quality on the old one. It's hard to say for sure since I don't know how the Speedy B will hold up in the next 30 years (not to mention my personal preference is for the very aged patina look.) The hardware and design quality seems the same to me overall (except the B strap, which has different hardware for just the strap). The canvas is definitely not the same, the old Keepall is a little more smooth and buttery and the monogram is a slightly different texture. I wouldn't say that the old canvas is better than the new at all, if anything I expect both versions to fall apart at some point in this lifetime. Obviously that the Keepall is still alive is a testament to its quality, but I don't have any signs so far that the Speedy B isn't made to last just as long.

If it were me shopping for a Speedy B, quality differences between vintage and new would not have any impact whatsoever. If there is even a discrepancy it is negligible especially when you factor in wear and tear.

Last edited:
I appreciate your comments on the quality.

My particular issue is that the sales associates never told me that folded corners would result in dime size holes a little after a year of using the Tuileries hobo. My store sent photos and told me that this is normal wear and I won’t be able to exchange the bag. It was over $2000 at the time of purchase and I thought I was buying a bag that would last me a lot longer.