Q re new purchase, and a slight disappointment

satine112

O.G.
Apr 26, 2006
Hi,

I purchased online a neverfull mm with red interior, and it arrived, and it was made in france, beautifully presented, etc. I decided the MM was too small for me, so i returned it and ordered the gm (beige interior as they didn't have red) and it just arrived. it's made in USA which is .. womp womp.. and then the outside fedex box was crushed and looked like it had opened, and been re-taped, and the LV box was also crushed/broken. The envelope was sitting on the outside of the LV box, and there was no ribbon, etc like there was for the MM.

what are your thoughts? i'm feeling conflicted.

After more thought (and DH vocally telling me the bag is comically big on me) i think i have to return it too :sad:

Last edited:
I understand your conflict and disappointment. I have been ordering regularly from lv and you have accurately described how the packages most often arrive. Thrown into an oversized and therefore crushed box, no additional packaging to prevent the contents from moving around and being damaged. Maybe tied with a ribbon, maybe not. There is a remarkable lack of attention to detail, which is not what luxury shopping is about. Retailers of a far lesser status than lv have got it down to an art, there are no excuses. When a customer buys luxury goods, they are buying into a dream, an experience. It starts there, it’s the expectation of that experience that draws a person in too.
As for whether you should return the bag, I think you’ve already answered your own question. It’s not the colour you wanted, it’s too big, and you didn’t even have any retail satisfaction! And yes you wanted the Made in France which is perfectly understandable.
Also, the implication that you should kind of shut up and be happy, you got what you ordered, doesn’t sit well with me. I don’t think you deserve to be shamed for your question.

If you love the GM and it is in brand new condition I would say keep it even if it did have a rough journey to your home. I would not worry about the box as I don't keep mine, nor do I keep the ribbon. But it sounds like you aren't happy with the bag's size so send it back.

Reactions: NeLVoe
I understand your conflict and disappointment. I have been ordering regularly from lv and you have accurately described how the packages most often arrive. Thrown into an oversized and therefore crushed box, no additional packaging to prevent the contents from moving around and being damaged. Maybe tied with a ribbon, maybe not. There is a remarkable lack of attention to detail, which is not what luxury shopping is about. Retailers of a far lesser status than lv have got it down to an art, there are no excuses. When a customer buys luxury goods, they are buying into a dream, an experience. It starts there, it’s the expectation of that experience that draws a person in too.
As for whether you should return the bag, I think you’ve already answered your own question. It’s not the colour you wanted, it’s too big, and you didn’t even have any retail satisfaction! And yes you wanted the Made in France which is perfectly understandable.
Also, the implication that you should kind of shut up and be happy, you got what you ordered, doesn’t sit well with me. I don’t think you deserve to be shamed for your question.
Extremely well said. For the life of me. I don’t understand some here who are ruffled by those who are disappointed when what they pay for isn’t what they get which includes top drawer quality from start to finish. There are no excuses for anything less....none.

Since you’re paying so much for a bag, it’s perfectly reasonable to have a bag made in the country you want in. I have MIF products that are over 30 years and still look 80% new. Given the quality issues for the made in USA products as noted in this forum, it’s perfectly reasonable to prefer a MIF product.

Return it if you’re not 100% sure. I prefer a MM over GM which is way too big.

Reactions: Abba13
If you love the GM and it is in brand new condition I would say keep it even if it did have a rough journey to your home. I would not worry about the box as I don't keep mine, nor do I keep the ribbon. But it sounds like you aren't happy with the bag's size so send it back.
I don't believe 'worry' is the right word in regards to the box and ribbon. There is disappointment as they are a part of the presentation LV offers and without.....a letdown follows.

Since you’re paying so much for a bag, it’s perfectly reasonable to have a bag made in the country you want in. I have MIF products that are over 30 years and still look 80% new. Given the quality issues for the made in USA products as noted in this forum, it’s perfectly reasonable to prefer a MIF product.

I'm on board with your post. I do all my shopping online. It's hit or miss at LV's with where a piece is made. So far I've been pretty lucky with the pieces I've ordered from LV's site. The luxury of Fashionphile shopping is Knowing where a piece has been made...their photos are meticulous. When the condition is New or Excellent, I'm sold.

Reactions: b_illy
OMG! Made in France and you returned it? Probably 1 in 5000 (if not more) Neverfull Speedy etc these basic bags made in recent years sold in North American are made in France, I had to pay people extra $$$$ to buy made in France ones :nuts:

I understand that she is disappointed because of the damaged packaging which is beyond the pale (even though Louis Vuitton doesn't have any influence on how the postal service does its job). But no, in my opinion it is not reasonable to insist on getting a MIF bag which will be returned if it is not. That's rubbish. Sorry for my harsh words but as long as you can't influence which country you would like your new bag to be produced in you can't take that fact as an excuse for returning it. And concerning the interior color and size... well she knew that it was not her prefered color. Only the fact that the bag is too big for her might be the only reason to return it.

When I purchase a bag, importantly, I must be happy with it. If I am not, for whatever reason, I would return it and get the one I want. Or, if I have the funds, I'll keep it in case I would want it in the near future. As you know, prices may increase any time.

With regards to presentation, yes I agree with you that it is an experience bcos the cost of the bag includes all those and furthermore, with the absence of physical customer service associate helping you, the least they could do is to provide similar experience when purchased online. However, in my opinion, this should not be a priority in your case - the bag itself is. You can always feedback via email of your experience receiving the bag, but I think, if I am not mistaken, there might be limitation on exchanging item. From where I am, we are allowed to exchange only once.

Reactions: NeLVoe