q for parents

Sure, sounds like you're planning it out in your head, tackle one task at a time in a brisk, healthy manner, and you should be on your way (and on your way to that chanel!)

I haven't read this entire thread, but I want to say please do NOT defer your loans unless you have no other choice. I deferred mine for much too long when my son was little, and now my student loan debt has doubled. At the present rate, I will literally be paying it off until I'm 70. I'm hoping for a miracle on that one!

The other thing I want to say is, as long as you're being supported by/living with your parents, you pretty much have to deal with whatever they have to say. You always have the option of living on your own and supporting yourself, and then you can do what you please. I worked full time while going to school full time, through four years of college -- and pulled a 3.8 GPA. It's not easy, it's obviously not the ideal situation, and I don't recommend it if you have other options - but it can be done.

I haven't read this entire thread, but I want to say please do NOT defer your loans unless you have no other choice. I deferred mine for much too long when my son was little, and now my student loan debt has doubled. At the present rate, I will literally be paying it off until I'm 70. I'm hoping for a miracle on that one!

The other thing I want to say is, as long as you're being supported by/living with your parents, you pretty much have to deal with whatever they have to say. You always have the option of living on your own and supporting yourself, and then you can do what you please. I worked full time while going to school full time, through four years of college -- and pulled a 3.8 GPA. It's not easy, it's obviously not the ideal situation, and I don't recommend it if you have other options - but it can be done.
yeah, i know deferring isn't ideal...but i know my government loans have a great rate, so it's not quite as bad. peace corps pays off some of your loans, too...:graucho:

see...you bring up something else. my parents do NOT want me living on my own. i mentioned it a few weeks back and they said no. of course, i'm grown and can do what i want- but i'm trying to avoid completely ticking them off! so, i feel like i'm kinda stuck.

*big hug* :biggrin:

re: the peace corps thing, I would totally get grad school out of the way if you can. there are so many people in my classes that have been working FOREVER on their masters and they are older.

I totally feel you on the part time job too. I could never find a job to work with my undergrad schedule (18 hours + 7 hour internship a week). It was hard for me to find something to work with my grad school schedule!! Not sure if you have decided on a job or not, but Starbucks is REALLY flexible with hours and great for students. they have pretty good benefits for part time people too, which is rare. it was my fallback job had I not found a teaching gig and will probably be doing it this summer. :biggrin:

i'm going down to the mall this weekend to pick up a few applications and see what i can manage. i applied at starbucks over the summer and didn't get it- not sure if they'd even hire me...but i'm willing to go back.

i'm going next week to talk to my advisor at school about grad school and all that. i'll get his opinion and see what can be managed and what might be best.

you weren't the one that upset me, megs! promise! you're too sweet for that! (do you even have a mean bone in your body?) :heart:

I may have like half a mean bone in here somewhere, but I am such a softie- see the good in everyone, believe in 2nd chances, and have a heart WAY too big for my own body :love: Not even a lie... :shame:

I think this thread has turned nicely, but it is true that once you post online people will give responses you are not really expecting. This topic probably brings some more heated opinions because we are all raised differently- some people have no choice but to get a job, some people believe they must have a job, some people never have to work, so... to each and their own!

Even if you got a part time job, it would just show that you are trying a bit- you don't need to work tons of hours if you don't have to, but it will show that you are doing something. And what about your summers? Are you in summer school or take the summers off? Do you work in the summer?

Go talk to an adviser about grad school... and if the Peace Corps are your dream, then go for it!!! A job that will truly make you happy, is one that you truly love :heart:

megs, you are too cute! i don't think you have the capacity to be mean unless it was something heinous (murderers, rapists, puppy kickers...)

and this thread turned out better over the night. i was seriously crying my eyes out last night over this. i'm SUCH an emotional person, it's ridiculous.

i'll definately look into a part time job. especially now that my car died (great timing, huh?). and since the money i have set aside is in cd's, i can't get into it, apparently. sooo...quite appropriate this thread happened when it did. sigh.

and i've worked over the summer previously. this summer is going to be lots of summer classes. but i'll have to see what the schedules are like first.

and i do fully intend to do peace corps. i WILL find a way to do it. i was talking to my grandmother before she passed away in september...and she asked why i chose psych and soci. and my answer was "i want to change the world". and it's corny...but i will.

Hey girl, I am sure this isn't a new idea, but have you considered signing up with a temp agency??

During my undergrad work I signed up with ManPower, IIRC. They got me short gigs taking surveys at malls (how lame!!! LMAO) and then a cool couple of hours at Nabisco DelMonte where I studied and filled the cookie jar in the reception area!!

They actually hooked up me up in a way with the career I have now (Chief of Staff for a major SW division at a Silcon Valley tech co).

Anyhoo, my point is temp agencies can be a great way to a) show intent to your folks, b) get a few extra bucks and c) work around YOUR schedule!

:balloon: