Proud To Be A Sexy Size 16 Model

I also would like to add that a lot of people just have different metabolism and as for some it can be difficult to loose weight for some it can be hard to gain. So the concern should be not with only what is your scale saying to you today, but with what your doctor says after he checks your stats .

Here is an article you should read
Boost your metabolism and lose weight faster

Metabolism is the process by which your body converts calories from food into energy. People often believe that a slim person’s metabolism is high and an overweight person’s metabolism is low, but this isn’t usually the case. Metabolism alone does not determine your weight. Rather, weight is dependent on the balance of calories consumed versus the calories burned. Eat more calories than you need — you gain weight. Eat fewer calories than you need — you lose weight. Metabolism is merely the body’s engine that burns calories and regulates your caloric needs.

What you can’t control about your metabolism:
  • Age: Metabolism slows about 5 percent for each decade after 40. That’s because as we get older, we tend to lose muscle and gain body fat. Lean muscle mass is more metabolically active than fat tissue. So when you lose muscle mass, your metabolism slows down.
  • Gender: Men generally have faster metabolisms than women because they’re larger and have less body fat. Men’s basal metabolic rate is estimated to be 10 percent to 15 percent higher than women’s.
  • Hypothyroidism: An underactive thyroid will slow down your metabolism and ultimately lead to weight gain. The good news is that a simple blood test can determine whether you have this condition or not. If you do, you can control it with the proper medication.
  • Genetics: Some people are lucky enough to be born with speedy metabolisms — and others are not.
What you can control about your metabolism:
Diet

• Don’t eat fewer than 1,000 calories a day. Your body and metabolism thrive on food. When you fast or crash diet, your metabolism will slow down in order to conserve energy. Imagine your metabolism as a blazing fire. If the fire burns consistently with the appropriate amount of high-quality wood, it will burn at a steady rate. But if it doesn’t have enough wood, the fire goes out. If it has too much wood, it can get out control — just like your waistline!
  • Eat every four to five hours. Our bodies work hard to digest and absorb the foods we eat, and your metabolism revs up in response. This is called the thermic effect of food. Take full advantage of this and schedule meals and snacks every four to five hours.
  • Make breakfast a priority. Studies show that people who regularly eat a healthy breakfast within two hours of rising are more likely to control their weight. This may be because you’re lifting your metabolic rate after it’s been in a “resting phase” during the night.
  • Eat protein with every meal:All foods create a thermic effect and will slightly boost your metabolism. However, eating protein gives your body a bigger metabolic boost than eating carbohydrates or fats. Plus, eating enough protein will ensure you’ll maintain and build muscle mass. (Remember, the more muscle mass you have, the greater your metabolic rate). Make sure to incorporate lean protein into most every meal.
Best protein sources: fish, chicken breast, turkey breast, lean red meat, skim milk, nonfat yogurt, eggs and egg substitutes, tofu, beans, and lentils.
Meal Examples:
  • Breakfast: yogurt with fresh fruit
  • Lunch: turkey burger on whole-grain bun and a salad
  • Dinner: grilled chicken with vegetables and a baked potato

Exercise
  • Do aerobic exercise four to five days a week. Aerobic activities, such as running, brisk walking, swimming and bike riding, burn calories and increase metabolism while you’re working out. Several studies show that aerobic activities cause your metabolism to stay at an elevated level for a period of time after you have finished exercising.
  • Work in strength-training exercise two to three days a week. Lifting weights and other strengthening activities, such as doing push-ups or crunches, on a regular basis will actually boost your resting metabolism all day. That’s because these activities build muscle. And once again, muscle burns more calories than body fat. In fact, if you have more muscle, you burn more calories — even if you’re sitting still.
  • When it comes to supplements, I do not recommend them. The ingredients that are effective tend to boost metabolism only slightly and they can be risky. High doses of stimulants can make you jittery, and increase heart rate and blood pressure.
  • The bottom line: The safest and most effective way to boost your metabolism is to eat an appropriate amount of food every four to five hours, incorporate a portion of lean protein into each meal, and exercise regularly!

All I see is people giving their honest opinions about underweight and overweight issues today in society, as everyone is doing. I didn't see one person(correct me if I am wrong)joke about another culture, just mature discussion. Also, it is true that being overweight does cause heart problems, as does being underweight, as mentioned. I would have to agree that different sized women have different weight, and muscles and bones contribute to that weight, also. I think this is all I am going to say, b/c I don't want to be criticized for my honest opinions.

I wasn't referring to anyone making cultural jokes in this thread; the poster to whom I was responding who said that people were taking some posts way too personally, was herself perturbed when a TPFer in the Vuitton section made an off-hand comment about how her mother had joked that she could wear her new leopard scarf to Saudi Arabia or something like that, and lv1011 wasn't too happy with the joke.

I wasn't referring to anyone making cultural jokes in this thread; the poster to whom I was responding who said that people were taking some posts way too personally, was herself perturbed when a TPFer in the Vuitton section made an off-hand comment about how her mother had joked that she could wear her new leopard scarf to Saudi Arabia or something like that, and lv1011 wasn't too happy with the joke.

How can YOU tell that I was "perturbed" by the comment that was made in the lv community. I just said it wasnt funny. I never ONCE said " that offended me" or that was inappropriate, it literally wasnt funny. Her comaprision of a lepoard scarf had NOTHING to do with guys in saudia arabia, hence " that wasnt funny. I never singled anyone in this thread out, I simply stated that its an article, alot of people were getting too personal about what was said and thus reacting to other members disrespectfully. Next time, you try to use me as an example, please get your facts straught before jumping to a conclusion.

Stasi B. This is a great article you posted!! When i mentioned metabolism i meant that if the person is not exersising or eating properly metabolism is slower, age also slowes down the metabolism, which means more exersing is need as we grow older.
As i mentioned earlier one thing i believe is useless is BMI and if we are talking about weight issues, the definition of obesity is More than 20% increase over the average body weight, based on age, sex and body build. ALL these factors have to be looked at, not just average model weight. According to doctors, this 20 % increase based on these aspects is the one which can cause danger to ones health.

By the way, i still wish they made all the beautiful clothing in normal sizing, it particularly sucks when you can actually afford it!! I mean if i couldnt afford it i would probably not cared about it as much, but when I walk in and plan to spend money and buy a good dress and nothing fits, I almost feel like crying, because its so unfair!!

How can YOU tell that I was "perturbed" by the comment that was made in the lv community. I just said it wasnt funny. I never ONCE said " that offended me" or that was inappropriate, it literally wasnt funny. Her comaprision of a lepoard scarf had NOTHING to do with guys in saudia arabia, hence " that wasnt funny. I never singled anyone in this thread out, I simply stated that its an article, alot of people were getting too personal about what was said and thus reacting to other members disrespectfully. Next time, you try to use me as an example, please get your facts straught before jumping to a conclusion.

True, you just said "It wasn't funny," but without giving any explanation, I, as well as the member who made the joke, just assumed you were disturbed by her comment, perhaps because of the possible negative connotations, as opposed to just disturbed by her lack of humor. If you would have said that the OP can't get a joke straight, then I would have understood your intended meaning.

You didn't single anyone out, but you did state,
I think some people took it way too personally..maybe dealing with there[sic] own weight issues?
, and though you may not have meant to sound negative, the statement does come across a bit judgemental; thus, my attempt at using your "it wasn't funny" example, as a way to point out why some tpfer's might have taken the opinions of others personally.

Now that you have clarified your intent, the example doesn't fit, but you do get my meaning.

Now back to the topic at hand:flowers:

svetty can I just tell you that the people on the other forum you used to frequent are idiots. Please don't make that think that all overweight people think like that because it's not the case.

But all these comments about weight just make me uncomfortable and make me feel like I wouldn't be welcomed at a lunch table with you all because of who I am. I just don't want to meet you all because I'm afraid of what you all will think of me.

Awwwwwwww, you can sit at a lunch table with me;)

5ft 11ins and size 16-18 would still be pretty thin.

I hope that one day, models will be 5'5" and size 16-18 and accorded the courtesy of being called the normal that they are! :biggrin:

This is my first time straying from the main handbag threads. I saw this headline and had to stop by. I'm representing sizes 16/18 US at 6ft tall (5'11" and 3/4 to be exact) and am technically obese. Being healthy is my goal versus shooting for specific dress sizes.

I see these ads sometimes that say 'I lost 25 lbs and 4 dress sizes and I am like who are these people or are they like 5'1'? I bust my butt and lose 30 lbs and no one even notices and I may lose half of one size! Weight just translates differently on me. I strive to be healthy and make better food choices and get regular exercise. As long as I feel fit and healthy and my medical stats say so then I have found peace with my appearance. I do 5ks periodically and I chuckle when I catch people at my gym staring and trying to glance at my treadmill display when they see the "big girl" jogging hard for 30 minutes to an hour at a high speed outlasting many of the thinner folks on the treadmills near me. The assumption is that I can't possibly be fit at my size. Great cholestrol levels, great blood pressure, etc. (although some conditions are inherited genetically) show true health....not BMIs and dress sizes. I think I've dieted since middle school. As a track athlete I always had gigantic thighs and butt and big arms which I hated in addition to hating my height. I was also a cheerleader and I so wanted to be like the other petite lil girls that I always got to lift (I so wanted to be at the top of the pyramid!). I always towered over everyone in school and had larger muscles than most of the boys in my classes and hence never got asked out. I found maturer, older, taller bigger guys to date instead (thank God for football and basketbal players!!!). I did a pageant due to a dare my Senior year and that totally changed my perspective of myself. For once my height was an advantage and was admired by other contestants. It also had some negative affects from pageant directors pushing me to try and lose more weight even though at a size 10/12 at 6ft tall (weight 170 to 190) and a ripped athletes build with barely any fat I couldnt figure out what they wanted me to lose. I was chastised about how I'd never make it to the Miss America level because my thighs touched and judges look for the "diamonds" of light showing through certain parts of your legs when standing in a swimsuit!! Needless to say I quit pageants for my own sanity. In college I moved on to a size 14/16 weight 200 to 230 and to doing some amateur modelling instead. Law school stress eating and no exercise lead me to my current 16/18 240 to 250 weight which I have struggled to reduce with little success. The only times I seem to lose weight is when I do diet pills which make me not want to eat and by barely eating 800 to 900 calories a day with maybe 2 workouts a week I lost 40 lbs a couple of times but once I stopped the pills it always came back. I'd like to weigh 200 to 220. Less than 175 and I look like I am on crack! Thank goodness for my 6'6 280 ex-football player beau.

Here are some pics of me for reference of how weight and sizes can look different on people. The pic in the black cropped top and jacket with the major cleavage are me at size 16 after losing the law school weight the first time...I was like 220 in those pics. The pic in the red dress is at size 18 and about 235.

It is the last accepted form of discrimination. I definitely know it is a factor in getting hired and moving up in corporate America which is another reason I am trying (not to mention I want kids and I can't imagine adding another 20 to 30 lbs during a pregnancy!). All things being equal between candidates, the overweight woman is going to be at a disadvantage. I think that the media image of the overweight women often equates to meaning poor, uneducated and unintelligent unfortunately....it is hard to get some male and female hiring managers to look past that to envision you in a powerful corporate position.

YOU LOOK AMAZING AND SO BEAUTIFUL!!

I agree with most of you. I think that the original poster is confusing good body image with good health. If she is a 16 and her BMI (Body mass index #) is in a healthy range then good for her finding her bliss at a plus size if it is not within a healthy range then she needs to consider her helth. I am a 16 and 5' 9" and my doctor always telling me that I need to loose a bit. So my hope is that she will have great self confidence at a healthy weight!!

I agree more with Oprah's Dr. Oz guy about paying more attention to your waist measurement. Waistline, cholestrol and blood pressure are more important to me than just looking at the controversial BMI which many doctors do not agree with. Where you are carrying the weight is more crucial than the weight number which also doesn't take into account muscle mass. A person who is thin everywhere else but has a large waist measurement beyond his guidelines is in worse health than a woman with a healthy waist size but that is carrying weight in her thighs and breasts and hips which is pretty normal for a woman.

heck, just go to a store that has a broad range of clothing sizes. look and see which sizes are gone first. usually the 10-14's are gone first. must mean people are wearing them over the 0 and 2's that are usually left.
Is that why I can't find nice looking pants in size 12 unless I get there real early?