Problem with my metallic Abigail. Advice please!

mariak16

Jan 25, 2011
Hi ladies. I am not sure if I can return this or not so I would love some advice. I bought this bag a month ago on 11/30. It appears to be peeling already. :sad: There are some black dots and also some lighter marks. The lighter marks are really obvious. I don't think it could be color transfer, but what else would cause the lighter marks? Is it possible the dye just isn't sticking or something? Anyway, I have attached some pics. I would love to hear some thoughts. I do love the bag so if I can't return it it's not a huge deal, but I just don't like spending $400 on a bag to have it look like this a month later. It makes me worry what it will look like several months from now. TIA!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I'm sorry that this has happened to your abigail! I think that you should try to return the bag for a full refund or exchange it for a different, non-metallic bag, since it is still quite new and not wearing well. It will probably only get worse over time.

The spots may be areas where the metallic surface of the bag have rubbed off. I just recently posted a thread about using metallic acrylic paints to successfully camouflage rubbed areas on a metallic copper Zoe bag (see link below).

But that was an older, outlet bag and first I took it to a cobbler, the boutique, and sent it to JAX for evaluation before resorting in desperation to paint! They all said that it couldn't be fixed, so I figured I had nothing to lose. The boutique staff told me that "the bag wasn't defective" and that I "had damaged it by over-packing and letting something hard stick out the back" to rub against my clothes! I was not happy with that assessment, I don't overstuff and I carry the same items in all my coach bags without damage!

If my bag was a new boutique purchase, I would have returned it, even though I love it. And I am not sure that paints would help your bag anyway, because mine wasn't peeling or flaking, it just had rubbed areas of damage.

The copper Zoe is my only metallic bag. I had stayed away from metallics in the past because of concerns about durability, but I found this one at a great price at the outlet so I decided to chance it. Now that I've repaired it, I've come to the conclusion that metallics are too delicate to use as everyday bags. They should be saved for special occassions and short-term wear. Good luck!

http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/us...age-damaged-metallic-leather-pics-722169.html

They were not willing to do the exchange at first. I got the "this is just the way metallic leather is" speech. I insisted that metallic or not, a bag should not look like this after only a month, especially a bag at this price point. Finally they said they would make an exception and exchange it. They were very helpful when I was trying to pick a replacement. I'm glad they changed their tune because I was getting very upset up to that point. I learned my lesson though. No more metallics for me.

Here is what I chose as my replacement bag. Chelsea Katarina in Paprika. I love it! It's very lightweight and the patent leather should hold up nicely. I didn't have any red bags so this will be a nice addition to my collection. I also had some credit left over so they ordered me the new cupcake key fob also. I can't wait to get it!

ry%3D400

They were not willing to do the exchange at first. I got the "this is just the way metallic leather is" speech. I insisted that metallic or not, a bag should not look like this after only a month, especially a bag at this price point. Finally they said they would make an exception and exchange it. They were very helpful when I was trying to pick a replacement. I'm glad they changed their tune because I was getting very upset up to that point. I learned my lesson though. No more metallics for me.

I am glad that you stuck to your guns and got the exchange and I love the Katarina! Anyone would expect a $400 bag to hold up for longer than a month, good job!

I was surprised that JAX sent the 40% discount letter back with my copper zoe, because it was an older bag and an outlet purchase. But I think that they must have had a record of similar problems with the same bag and they knew it was defective.

I won't be buying any more metallics either, unless perhaps it is a bag that is rarely used, like an evening bag.

I'm glad that it worked out, good for you!

I'm glad that it all worked out for you. I agree, one expects bags at this price level to withstand a certain amount of use, metallic or not. It's crazy to make a bag with a finish that wears off so quickly and easily.

Your new Katarina is beautiful.

Even after reading this thread... I still want a metallic bag. Will hold my fingers crossed.

I know, they are beautiful! I think that a lot depends on how much you will carry the bag and how many opportunities it will have to rub against your clothes.

My copper Zoe was fine when I was driving to work and actually carrying it on my shoulder less frequently. It was only after I started walking to and from the train stain station that I had problems with the durability of the metallic leather.

Good luck with your future metallic bag, I am sure that it will be gorgeous! Treat it gently and keep a close eye on it for wear problems! I had noticed that my Zoe was starting to look "a little dull" in spots on the back but I wasn't too concerned, and then all of a sudden it looked terrible!

Does anyone have suggestions for protecting metallic leather bags to prevent wear and problems? I'd love to hear about them!

I'm glad you were able to exchange. I've had some metallic pieces and I've been lucky so far w/ no issues, but you never know. Good to know Coach will stand behind their products-especially after a month!

So sorry about your Abigail. I've had my gunmetal Abigail for about 3 weeks and sure hope I don't see that problem!
I love your new bag, though. And the cupcake fob that you have coming is really cute!!
Happy 2012!