Problem Getting Box leather?

Can I ask a silly question? You mentioned above that it will be more pliable with use. How much softer or flexible can a box Kelly get? I have one from 2004 and hardly use it. I know that's sad and a tragedy but part of the reason I don't wear it more is because it's so stiff and can't carry much but I don't want to let it go because it was my first H bag. I didn't realize it could get a lot softer.

Can someone enlighten me? Sorry this is slightly off topic.

I wouldn't say that box ever gets soft, but the side panels unfold a bit more easily once the leather has broken in a bit, making it easier to open the bag wide. My 2010 box Birkin was purchased brand new, and it took a bit of work to unstrap it and tuck the flap in the first few times. Now that I've used it (sparingly) for 4 years, it's much less of a struggle to open it up wide, which makes it easier to use. In comparison, I can open and close my 1979 Kelly with no trouble because the folds on the side panels are much less stiff. But I definitely can't batwing the sides. I'm not sure if I'm describing it well..hope it makes sense!

Hi tPFers!

So I have been researching leathers and find myself gravitating toward box and smoother leathers. Question I have is, is it possible to get a birkin in box leather new from the stores these days? Or do I need to go the reseller route to get this leather? I was thinking box in black or similar dark color.

I read somewhere that box was not being produced as much for various reasons and wondered if that were still true. I saw a box birkin from a reseller but its 12 years old and I'm not sure I want to get one that is that old.

Would love any advice on this! Thanks so much!

hi, just to add a little contribution (as I am crazy about box leather, I would buy anything in box from hermès), this is how a box calf leather birkin stands after 12 years (it's a 2002 bag). I personally find it fabulous and if I coulf I would buy this bag straight away. she is absolutely perfect; this is how box gets old if it is well cared of: becoming more and more beautiful! :smile:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/100-Authenti...US_CSA_WH_Handbags&hash=item461f670727&_uhb=1

Attachments

• $(KGrHqV,!qUFJynCoTm,BSesb6tmL!~~60_12.JPG
    $(KGrHqV,!qUFJynCoTm,BSesb6tmL!~~60_12.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 604
Reactions: AllthingsHermes
hi, just to add a little contribution (as I am crazy about box leather, I would buy anything in box from hermès), this is how a box calf leather birkin stands after 12 years (it's a 2002 bag). I personally find it fabulous and if I coulf I would buy this bag straight away. she is absolutely perfect; this is how box gets old if it is well cared of: becoming more and more beautiful! :smile:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/100-Authenti...US_CSA_WH_Handbags&hash=item461f670727&_uhb=1
That's a beautiful bag! Thank you for sharing :smile: I am reconsidering the 2002 bag.

I wouldn't say that box ever gets soft, but the side panels unfold a bit more easily once the leather has broken in a bit, making it easier to open the bag wide. My 2010 box Birkin was purchased brand new, and it took a bit of work to unstrap it and tuck the flap in the first few times. Now that I've used it (sparingly) for 4 years, it's much less of a struggle to open it up wide, which makes it easier to use. In comparison, I can open and close my 1979 Kelly with no trouble because the folds on the side panels are much less stiff. But I definitely can't batwing the sides. I'm not sure if I'm describing it well..hope it makes sense!

Thanks for your info. I better start wearing mine more often.

I placed mine in early 2012 for a BBK, up to today I still haven't got any news, though my SA said the order was accepted at the time of placement.

From time to time since 2012 I wonder if the BBK will ever come home with me [emoji17]. SA said it's the supply of the leather...
Therefore I would like to see if you have better or similar experience waiting for boxcalf...losing hope

I traded a graphite Kelly box Kelly because of the ease in which it scratches and older box cracks. I love seeing the patina and box purses of other members but if I am going to go with a leather that marks that I can deal the choice is barenia because it has that boho vibe which fits my lifestyle so I don't mind a mark. But if you ask any SA for box or barenia, you are going to hear a spiel about how H uses only the best leather. It sounds like a script handed out by corporate. Most of us know H sources their leather as does every other luxury brand from the same sources. If you want either leather, go to a reseller. Box is cheaper than other leathers on the resale market just be sure the leather is not cracked and headed towards disintegration. No spa will fix that; you are looking at replacing panels, handles or whatever is cracked.