Priority mail-how fast is it?

Nov 24, 2006
Hi all, I just sold something that I specified that I can't ship before September 2nd, but my buyer just emailed me that she will leave for Europe on the 7th :wtf: Will priority mail get there fast enough? I'm shipping from Baltimore, Maryland to Irvine, California. What are your experiences with this shipping service and what do you think? She's not offering to pay me extra for expedited shipping so I'm hesitant to use express...:s

Priority mail makes NO GUARANTEES. They generally say it will be there (at least within the country) in two days, but you have no recourse if it is not. Additionally, you still have to pay extra to have delivery confirmation, which I would highly recommend, as Priority mail has LOST two packages I sent. I had no recourse, despite having paid extra for Priority mail. Priority mail is a scam, IMO.

2 - 3 business days for the 48 continental united states, I believe.
This is what USPS says, but it's not guaranteed! I have always used express and have not had any problems sending items and them being received within the 3 day frame. I think since you actually have 4 days for it to arrive you would be OK though. I agree you should get the delivery confirmation as well, but if you get your postage online, it is free. You could always contact your buyer and tell her that the delivery time is not guaranteed unless she wants to pay the extra for express shipping, then you can't be blamed if it doesn't get there.

I have had very little problem with anything mailed Priority, at least domestically. Just this week a 7-pound box got from Washington DC to Seattle in 48 hours, which would never happen if you really needed it to, but still.

The cost difference between priority and express mail is substantial. If your buyer isn't funding the difference, it's her choice to wait and hope for the best.