Prince Harry and Meghan Markle thread

I’m genuine curious. You said that you lived this experience. What does that mean exactly? Did you join a sorority?

No?

https://www.theroot.com/white-sorority-under-investigation-for-making-racist-re-1829245698

https://dbknews.com/2019/05/06/gree...l-assault-umd-racism-swarthmore-bigotry-hate/

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/09/19/segregated-sororities-not-limited-alabama-experts-say

When I went to college in the south, we had many sororities that didn't accept minorities. It wasn't in writing, they just didn't accept anyone who was a person of color. I lived this experience so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9914083-large.jpg

ala4.jpg

KKG-Purdue05.jpg

and so on and so on

At any rate, so someone from Africa is saying black Americans aren't black? Mmm ok. *insert giant eyeroll*

I like how people feel like that they can police who can call themselves black, or whatever racial identity. Africans have a very different experience than African Americans. In here in America, it's all about how the individual identifies him/herself. Not if some random person in Africa (or on a purse message board) feels someone is black enough.

Are you misquoting me? If so you are being unnecessarily insulting. This man was entitled to his opinion.Why don't you put me on your ignore list?

Meghan has always identified as bi-racial and has never hidden or shied away from any aspect of of her identity. To say otherwise is an outright lie. There seems to be a lot of lies and speculation based “unconscious bias” being passed off as truths where Meghan is concerned. The constant looking for negativity where there isn’t any gets really old after a while.

I’m genuine curious. You said that you lived this experience. What does that mean exactly? Did you join a sorority?
I did not. It was well known which were "white" and which weren't, and the ones that allowed minorities were considered lesser. (For example, Chi Omega's nickname was "Ch-nks OK" because they allowed Asian members. Phi Mu was called Phi Moo for allowing overweight women). Greek life doesn't just discriminate based on race... it's about looks, weight, socioeconomic status, etc. My roommate rushed and it was suggested she lose a few pounds and get a nose job, and try again next year. We had a fraternity kicked off campus for setting the Jewish fraternity next door to it on fire and chanting 'burn Jews burn.'

Greek life in Alabama was only formally desegregated in 2013. In 2013, there were 10 black women in Alabama sororities. TEN.

Reactions: Gal4Dior and limom
Looks like it's actually much worse for men. SMH.

As of January 2018, African-American men make up 0.8 percent of traditionally white fraternities in IFC. African-Americans currently make up a little over 10 percent of the student body population.

Reactions: limom
At any rate, so someone from Africa is saying black Americans aren't black? Mmm ok. *insert giant eyeroll*

I like how people feel like that they can police who can call themselves black, or whatever racial identity. Africans have a very different experience than African Americans. In here in America, it's all about how the individual identifies him/herself. Not if some random person in Africa (or on a purse message board) feels someone is black enough.

And then backtrack as if it's not them but someone else's opinion that would not have been proffered had they not put out that the opinion of 1 represents all or the collective. True colors are really showing in this thread.

Paying themselves meaning from his father’s allowance or from his huge inheritance, I wonder.
But isn’t his inheritance his money ?and I know Meghan was no Meryl Streep (not many actresses are ) but she wasn’t destitute upon marriage to Harry either. The comments in this thread remind me of comments about Mrs. ***** upon becoming First Lady. People (and I’m not naming anyone in particular) made it sound like she barely had money or know how to put together an inauguration outfit when in reality, she is an Harvard educated attorney. I love TPF and it’s diversity of opinions but I do feel there is some serious, to say the least, unconscious bias in this thread about Meghan . Anyways back to the Style threads for me!

I don't know about ethnic, but when heads of state and spouses visit other countries, they often try to reference the favored colors of the country they are visiting in their dress.
Yes, it's not to appear more ethnic :rolleyes: but as you said, to pay tribute to the country being visited. Many of the royal ladies do this, and the men sometimes with a nod in the colours of their ties.