Books & Music Primates of park avenue

I really disliked the book. The premise was interesting, the subject matter was relatable somewhat, but no one reeled in the author. A small peppering of anthropologic talk would have been fine, but she droned on ad nauseum. It wasn't so awful I couldn't finish, but it was not a book I could recommend.

I kind of got that the author wanted to be respectful but honest, however a lot of it got buried by what amounted to intellectual babble.

I really disliked the book. The premise was interesting, the subject matter was relatable somewhat, but no one reeled in the author. A small peppering of anthropologic talk would have been fine, but she droned on ad nauseum. It wasn't so awful I couldn't finish, but it was not a book I could recommend.

I kind of got that the author wanted to be respectful but honest, however a lot of it got buried by what amounted to intellectual babble.

Enjoyed it and read it within a day or two. However, when I learned afterwards that the author took some liberty with the facts and dates, my enthusiasm for the book diminished. Also, the ending disappointed me.

Enjoyed it and read it within a day or two. However, when I learned afterwards that the author took some liberty with the facts and dates, my enthusiasm for the book diminished. Also, the ending disappointed me.
I read it in about 3 days while on vacation, and thought the anthropological angle tedious. But, I did enjoy reading about the 1 percent SAHM and how they obsess over many things, including Chanel bags, Moncler jackets and having the body of a 22 year old even if they are acting like psychopaths due to their low calorie intake.

I agree, the anthropological voice is making me like this book a lot less than I want to. I'm trying to finish it up tonight - will report back with overall thoughts sometime tomorrow hopefully.

There are 600+ reviews on Amazon all leading to an average of a 2-star rating. I read an article on this book on the NYTimes site and, supposedly, that article and all the additional press really amounts to most of the material presented in the book. Or at least all the noteworthy tales.

I would love if this book was redone/repurposed or existed by an author that really took a serious approach and had eloquent enough writing to be considered more than a beach read on the lines of Candace Bushnell. Because the subject is actually fascinating. Maybe this Wednesday person could've spent more time up there on Park Ave to get some more material. As an anthropologist I'm sure she knows to what level her writing should have reached.. So I haven't read it but I'm all ready disappointed. I dont think I will bother reading it based on all of those reviews. "600 Amazon reviewers can't be wrong"

The closest I can find to satisfy my curiosity of the UES/lives of the rich would be Capote's Answered Prayers... Now that has not received that much publicity since the 21st centruy and it is unfinished but I think that is as close as I will ever get to a sneak peak and some interesting "real" stories about Manhattan's wealthiest women.