Preloved red 2.55 or Gucci horsebit in red leather

Taupe

Jun 12, 2015
Hi everyone,

After buying my first reissue mini last year, in love, I already knew a red bag would be next.

Finding one is difficult though and it would have to be a 2.55 226 to fit in a bit more, as I plan to use it quite regularly. Finding one though id a bit of an issue. So I would have to look into the preloved market (Vestiaire or so given that I am based in Europe). But it truly frightens me, have looked around for days.. oh well that needs work I guess.

But then I ran into the Gucci Horsebit in red that I had never seen before, that red is amazing! Knowing this is the Chanel forum and your preferences obviously, can you help a girl out? It would be my first red btw. Any pointers to be able to make a decision, I lost it.

Appreciate your help and wisdom!

Hi @Taupe, all three work for my daily use. It depends what you carry on an average day/your lifestyle. The Reissues are easy for toss and go, compared with the Horsebit 1955, it’s more structured on the interior. Both bag styles are multiple ways to carry, which I love - shoulder carry, crook of arm, crossbody. Good luck on your decision!

Hi @Taupe, all three work for my daily use. It depends what you carry on an average day/your lifestyle. The Reissues are easy for toss and go, compared with the Horsebit 1955, it’s more structured on the interior. Both bag styles are multiple ways to carry, which I love - shoulder carry, crook of arm, crossbody. Good luck on your decision!
That is great hear. I will try the Gucci one out to be able to compare. Have not been able yet to venture into a store. But this is really helps, makes me confident that both are good given your stamp of approval 😊

Reactions: papertiger
The chain makes the 2.55 a bit more fancy, It's also a little less structured. I see the Gucci horse-bit (which I have) as a bit more robust with its leather shoulder strap and stamped leather. The G shade of red (I've another bag this colour) is truly beautiful and the leather durable. For daily wear the Gucci makes more sense.

The chain makes the 2.55 a bit more fancy, It's also a little less structured. I see the Gucci horse-bit (which I have) as a bit more robust with its leather shoulder strap and stamped leather. The G shade of red (I've another bag this colour) is truly beautiful and the leather durable. For daily wear the Gucci makes more sense.
Thank you for your reply! I actually saw yours when doing my ‘research’, what a beautiful piece, the green and purple 😻

I just learnt that they dot not have the red in stores in my country, so have to rely on an online order. Although will first try out the black one that seems to be available. Hope I do not get swayed into the safe black or brown one 🤣

Although those would be more practical for sure for a day to day bag..

But you and More bags got me convinced with your advice and pics, thanks again.

@More bags @papertiger

I need your help, again. Really torn between the brown and red (that I could not see in real life, would have to order online, but having seen the brown in real life now and wow).

Current bags:
- Prada galleria small black patent (daily workhorse for years)
- black Ferragamo grained leather, don’t know the name (don’t use it that much, but indestructible, top handle..)
- LV Alma PM in navy (with a strap)
- Mini Reissue in dark gray (shiny crumpled calfskin, not for special occasions, daily whenever wherever)

Oh and a Gucci clutch in burgundy (originally a men’s bag/wallet actually I believe with separate card insert and a small pouch). But that does not really belong to the above group. Unless I get an insert with a chain maybe (now that I come tho think of it, truly driving myself nuts deciding and thinking about my collection).

The 1955 would also be part of my daily rotation, besides going to work, I use a lonchamp for laptop and other stuff. Not really suitable to carry any of the handbags truly.

Back to the question, if for daily use, it should be appropriate for years to come, I like my bags to kind of be timeless.

I am a deep winter, have navy, kaki, pink, black, baby blue coats/jackets.. other than that outfits fairly neutral. I like a pop of color every now and then, but nothing crazy (sweater, shirt..)

Thank you in advance!!!

In most systems a Deep Winter would normally be advised to wear a shaded cherry red which the Reissue (above) is a perfect example, especially with its hardware.

Everyone's different, even within sub-seasons. I am supposed to be a Spring, but because I have very fair, neutral 'high-colour' overtones with strong peach undertones, med-contrast, plus a high-plane facial architecture, I can wear most (non-brown) greys, black (a non-Spring colour is ever there was one) and plenty of blues, BUT lightest yellow, mint green or taupe (supposedly in my colour wheel) all bring tears to my eyes.

I think the Gucci bag would look stunning with your wardrobe, and is a Winter-appropriate red, but remember, it has gold hw. The Horse-bit was originally designed in 1955 and has been reissued repeatedly almost every decade, very classic Gucci and Classic.

Gucci codes for reds:
6449 dark red
6404 bright scarlet
6638 Mid red (Horse-bit bag) same red as my Aphrodite

Oooh, the brown and red were the colours I was choosing between for the Gucci Horsebit 1955. I love Gucci red, and my Horsebit 1955 is a bright red.

@papertiger is really knowledgeable about colours. Hard to answer your question. If you rely too heavily on Dark Winter colour theory, I don’t think it points to either the brown or the red, so don’t lean into those ideas as hard rules, but loose guidelines? Perhaps look at pictures of how others have styled each bag, what colour schemes are similar to your wardrobe and try to get a sense of what you love more and would carry.

I love red - raspberry red, dark red, burgundy. Reds work for me, your mileage may vary. My red bags

What matters more is your opinion, it’s your money you’re spending, it’s you who will carry the bag. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: papertiger
Oooh, the brown and red were the colours I was choosing between for the Gucci Horsebit 1955. I love Gucci red, and my Horsebit 1955 is a bright red.

@papertiger is really knowledgeable about colours. Hard to answer your question. If you rely too heavily on Dark Winter colour theory, I don’t think it points to either the brown or the red, so don’t lean into those ideas as hard rules, but loose guidelines? Perhaps look at pictures of how others have styled each bag, what colour schemes are similar to your wardrobe and try to get a sense of what you love more and would carry.

I love red - raspberry red, dark red, burgundy. Reds work for me, your mileage may vary. My red bags

What matters more is your opinion, it’s your money you’re spending, it’s you who will carry the bag. Good luck.
You have the most amazing collection.

First of all, you have a dream collection 😻

Second, thank you also More Bags for sharing your view, I truly appreciate it. Especially from both of you after having spend hours on the forum 🤣 (running into more of your posts, knowledge etc). I guess, once you start with luxury bags, oh boy..

I went into the store today and the SA has put in a special order for the red one to be able to compare. I was wearing an outfit that totally worked with the brown one. Will see how I feel once the red one is there, should take 1-2 weeks she said. She however already expressed the brown was her favorite..

Will decide then based on how I feel and take mileage into account. I will post an update here by then (if interested).

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: More bags
Here to report back. Just tried both.. The red one is to die for, absolutely loved it. But I am afraid I will not use it as much given the size, it being quite out there. Put in other words, I need to build up the courage to be out there so to say.

So the brown one went home with me. Although the sa will keep track of a smaller bag in the same color. Whether it is the horsebit or they end up releasing something else (fingers crossed).
(She btw again mentioned the brown looked amazing based on today’s outfit as well..)

The hunt never stops, once you start.. but a red one will come. In the meantime, the burgundy box can remind me of the true red that I would love 🤣

@More bags
@papertiger

Thanks for your knowledge and advice!

IMG_6562.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6563.jpeg
    IMG_6563.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 17
Here to report back. Just tried both.. The red one is to die for, absolutely loved it. But I am afraid I will not use it as much given the size, it being quite out there. Put in other words, I need to build up the courage to be out there so to say.

So the brown one went home with me. Although the sa will keep track of a smaller bag in the same color. Whether it is the horsebit or they end up releasing something else (fingers crossed).
(She btw again mentioned the brown looked amazing based on today’s outfit as well..)

The hunt never stops, once you start.. but a red one will come. In the meantime, the burgundy box can remind me of the true red that I would love 🤣

@More bags
@papertiger

View attachment 5971854
Congratulations @Taupe the brown is beautiful!

Reactions: Taupe

@More bags
@papertiger

View attachment 5971854

:congrats: Horse-bit 1955 sister :ghi5: Your bag is absolutely beautiful and totally classic

Reactions: Taupe