Pre-Owned and No Item Condition Specifics

whateve

Authenticator
O.G.
May 10, 2010
If a seller lists an item as pre-owned and doesn't fill out the item condition section, listing all the defects, does that protect them from a SNAD? Quite often I buy items that have poor descriptions. I just got one that had a lot of damage that wasn't shown in the photos or described. The seller didn't say it was in good condition, didn't mention the condition at all. How would ebay rule in a SNAD claim?

I'd file SNAD. Lying by omission (IMO) doesn't protect the seller.

ETA: That's like the seller accused of selling a fake who says, "but I never called it 'authentic.'"

Reactions: MAGJES
True enough, but IMO willful blindness shouldn't protect the buyer either.
Was there no reason that you couldn't have asked for more details about the item before purchasing?
As for how EBay would rule who can say? We have all seen how inconsistent they are

If you want to return the item, I'd reach out to the seller & share your issues
If the seller doesn't respond, then file a SNAD
It is incumbent upon the buyer to ask questions as many sellers choose not to disclose flaws or perhaps even overlook
them . Pictures aren't always as clear as they could be & the same goes with descriptions as you mention
And there have been plenty of examples where Ebay's rulings have been a toss up

Last edited:
If a seller lists an item as pre-owned and doesn't fill out the item condition section, listing all the defects, does that protect them from a SNAD? Quite often I buy items that have poor descriptions. I just got one that had a lot of damage that wasn't shown in the photos or described. The seller didn't say it was in good condition, didn't mention the condition at all. How would ebay rule in a SNAD claim?

Since I am browsing this forum - I will offer up my opinion. :smile:. I think in cases where there is little in terms of written description, the pictures should speak 1000 words. I personally would really look at the pictures and if something didn't look right or wasn't shown (one side of item no interior if applicable , etc. then I would ask about it. If you received an item that is grossly distorted from the pictures meant to further describe the item that is SNAD IMO. Good Luck.

I always ask questions specific to condition such as any tears, holes, rips, smells, ink stains, etc. Anything and everything that turn me off as a buyer, I ask the question.
There are too many sellers out there who choose not to show flaws on purpose but it's up to the buyer to ask, plus then your questions are on the record for ebay to see.
If I don't get my questions answered then I move on. To me it's not worth the risk or hassle to deal with a seller who won't communicate with me and it's a red flag big time!
As far as how ebay will rule? We all know that there's no definitive answer there.

Thank you for all your opinions. Initially I was going to just eat my mistake since I didn't ask. I jumped on it because I had a coupon that was about to expire. There were holes in all four corners, and wear on parts I wouldn't have even thought about asking since I've never seen problems there before. I can see how a buyer might not know which questions to ask.

As it turned out, the strap was 10 inches shorter than it should have been for this style, so I contacted the seller and explained my concern, only about the strap and not about the condition. The seller was really nice and accepted my return.

I can see how I need to be more careful in the future. Often I buy bags that are actually in better condition than they were described.

Reactions: poopsie
Thank you for all your opinions. Initially I was going to just eat my mistake since I didn't ask. I jumped on it because I had a coupon that was about to expire. There were holes in all four corners, and wear on parts I wouldn't have even thought about asking since I've never seen problems there before. I can see how a buyer might not know which questions to ask.

As it turned out, the strap was 10 inches shorter than it should have been for this style, so I contacted the seller and explained my concern, only about the strap and not about the condition. The seller was really nice and accepted my return.

I can see how I need to be more careful in the future. Often I buy bags that are actually in better condition than they were described.

Good move on the part of the seller to accept the return without you having to go through the steps of filing a SNAD..

Reactions: whateve

Sounds like something from Linda
At least you didn't find any 'goodies' inside

No, it wasn't. It was a fairly small seller. I think the seller considers the condition when pricing items so the cheaper items are in worse condition, but doesn't understand the necessity of describing flaws.

Right.... I didn't mean that it was from Linda...........just something like you might wind up with from her iykwim
I see descriptions from time to time stating that the price reflects the condition. Like please don't expect a pristine Prada for $150 :P

Reactions: whateve