Pre-Loved or New? LV Newbie needs help...

DariaD

May 20, 2011
Deal LV-adies, I think I am in a desperate need of help :smile:

After reading about Speedies and Neverfulls on the main thread, I am going back and forth about what to buy to the point where I am super confused and can't really decide which bag I want and if I want anything at all.

For a long time I've been a fan of contemporary and more "massmarket-ish" designers like Zac Posen, Furla, Rebecca Minkoff etc. This year, after turning 30, I've decided to invest in a more "high end" bag. I've sold lots of fashion stuff on eBay that I wasn't using and now want to invest those accumulated money in a "around 1000$" bag. Initially I have set my mind on Speedy DE 30 or Neverfull DE MM.

I've spent last two days reading about declining quality, wrinkling and tearing handles, cracking piping and all other horror stories about new DE bags. I am not sure if I am ready pay lots of money for the brand only. I kinda was hoping to get the bag which I don't need to baby and that would serve me at least like my Furla (8 good years and still gorgeous) or even more, since vachetta is not an issue for DE bags.

I know the older bags have better quality and I may get one for even less, than 1000$ but... I honestly wanted a boutique experience. Since I was 16 I dreamed about walking into that LV store and affording a brand new bag.

What would you do if you were me?

1) Treat your inner 16-old self and get that bag from the boutique. Doesn't matter how long will it last, it's the experience that matters.

2) Get a pre-loved and use it for many good years. Maybe when you are older and in better financial situation, you will treat yourself with a brand new LV.

3) Stay away from LV until you'll stop considering 1000$ investment like a hell lot of money and will get more forgiving about some flaws.

Thanks a lot to all in advance for any input and thoughts! :flowers:

P.S. I live in a country where there's no LV boutique, but I travel a lot. So if anything goes wrong I wouldn't be able to just go to the boutique and exchange a flawed item, once I buy the bag I will have to live with it.

LOL!!! I love your choices! Go to the boutique and get a Speedy 30 DE, if you feel like you want a handheld, if not Neverfull is a great choice also. It's a beautiful bag that will look great for years to come. Not all bags have issues. I haven't had any issues with my bags. Don't be scared away by all of the negative experiences...those are the ones that get the most attention. Nothing is perfect. LV is my favorite brand by far. You have sacrificed, go live out your dream!!!

I can't recommend you stay away because I LVoe LV....I think its a wonderful designer and every designer is going to have a certain amount of quality issues. I have several DE bags that have no issues. I used my Westminster GM all winter and spring and had no issues. I buy both new and preloved...I only buy from trusted resellers so I have had wonderful experiences buying preloved items...what bags are you interested? That may determine if you buy new or preloved..if you buy new and have quality issues, the store should be able to help you....

all three choices are valid but number 2 is the most practical and logical choice - depends on what type of choices make you happy. i've owned a speedy 30 in DE made in the 2000s - peeling glaze on the handles caused me heart ache. had to sell that at very low price. whereas i've owned a rivera pm also in DE, made from the 1990s, glorious leather no issue at all. anyway, i would generally say those that were made in the earlier years are built to last - people bought bags to actually last them whereas nowadays, things are built for several wears. i also own a vintage keepall 50 monogram 20+ years old and i've inspected the keepall lately at LV stores - not as well made as the old one. thinner leather, thinner stitching, etc. anyway, you can find say a preloved speedy DE bag in excellent/like-new condition and then go to the LV store to have your initials heat-stamped on it - that's a little boutique experience treat you can enjoy :smile:

Why not considering a mono NF or Speedy? They have less problems, the vachetta is untreated leather, so it's more resilient and more comfortable and won't have cracking, peeling, wrinkling etc. issues... ...

I was very worried about vachetta leather darken over time at first, but not anymore, actually now I prefer the patina~!

Happiness is not about how much you have, but how little you need.

I wanted the "boutique experience" too, and it was fun, I admit. Bought a mono speedy 30. Have purchased a couple of preloved since, and a new wallet. Just sold the speedy to purchase a couple of preloved ones for my daughters. I just find I don't baby the old ones as much and they do seem more durable.

If this is your first big purchase in terms of handbags, and it also sounded like you were saving up and selling a bunch of other bags leading up to this big moment, then I would say buy from the boutique, you've owed it to yourself that much since 16 years old.

I remember buying my first Chanel bag with my hard earned money, I was determined to get the whole experience from a boutique. I wouldn't replace that experience any other way. I was so proud of myself for finally being able to afford one at that point in my life. To this date, I've bought and sold probably 100s of designer bags that I've collected over the years, but that FIRST Chanel I bought stays with me, yes it's freaking old, but it holds a certain sentimental value to me.

So, I think treat yourself once and get from the boutique. Once you get past that then maybe for your next LV bag you can consider the pre-owned option.

I would go with the boutigue! BUT I bought a DE Speedy b on august second and was so caught up in the boutique experience that I didn't check over the handles well and I ended up getting one with gross wrinkly handles and one handle already has a chip on it. Plus where the handles wrap around the metal there are little cracks there :sad: it makes me really sad and I wish I could take it back, so if you do boutique make sure to check it to make sure its a good one.

Hi OP! I remember you from the Louboutin subforum a few years ago, good to see you here :smile:

Congrats on the decision to buy an LV and I totally feel you, I wouldn't trade my first visit to the boutique with my hard earned money for anything. But I definitely understand your hesitation with the way the quality is going these days. I have a Speedy 30 in DE that I bought back in '08 and it still looks great, the glazing on the inside of the handles peeled a little about a year ago but it doesn't look bad so I haven't fussed about it. I have a NF GM DE that I bought in May of this year and I carry it every day just about and thank God I haven't had any issues. I'm hoping the cracking issues have been worked out so it might be better to get new and not one from the years when the issues were most prevalent?

I'd go with #1, there's nothing wrong with #2 but you've got to treat your inner 16 year old self every once in a while :smile:

Regarding #3...it's my hope that even when I'm "filthy rich," I'll always think $1k is a lot of money—it'll keep me humble and grounded!

Good luck deciding!

I can't recommend you stay away because I LVoe LV....I think its a wonderful designer and every designer is going to have a certain amount of quality issues. I have several DE bags that have no issues. I used my Westminster GM all winter and spring and had no issues. I buy both new and preloved...I only buy from trusted resellers so I have had wonderful experiences buying preloved items...what bags are you interested? That may determine if you buy new or preloved..if you buy new and have quality issues, the store should be able to help you....

+1
Good luck!!

Hi, i am a newbie too😃 I have been trying to find some items preloved and did not have much luck, IMO the price difference was not that big considerimg their condition or the trouble.
Now I have pretty clear which items I can wait to find preowned and the ones I want to get from boutique.
If you haven't taken a good look of whats out there, that might help you decide... But ifyou have already found what you are looking for preloved, go for it, as there is always time to get the boutique experience😃

Horray for newbies :smile:. I ended up getting a pre-loved bag and a new online order SLG. I was very happy with both experiences. I totally understand wanting to go into a store. This winter I'm going on a shopping trip (only 2hrs away) to go to a boutique and get a wallet. Let us know what you decide!

I say go with the boutique experience nothing like it in the world. And it sounds like it's something that you have wanted to do since you were 16 I think you need to go live out that dream. I agree with a lot of the above that you shouldn't let all the negative things about the DE print scare you. I think this varies from bag to bag some people have had no problems and some have had problems. I also agree with the above that the negative always stands out more. Make your own experience with LV not someone else's. I have purchased the DE print bags and I have had no problem.

Live the experience that you've always wanted to live by walking into the boutique it's a once-in-a-lifetime.

Be Blessed MoNikki