Prada Double Cuir or Saint Laurent Sac De Jour

Mar 21, 2013
Hi TPFers,

I'm looking to purchase either the Medium Prada Double Cuir or the Small Black Smooth Leather Saint Laurent Sac De Jour, can you guys let me know how well the the quality and hold up of the Sac De Jour? And if you have both bags or simply a Prada bag, how do the quality of each brand compare and which do you prefer? Modelling pics will be great also.

Thank you!

Hi TPFers,

I'm looking to purchase either the Medium Prada Double Cuir or the Small Black Smooth Leather Saint Laurent Sac De Jour, can you guys let me know how well the the quality and hold up of the Sac De Jour? And if you have both bags or simply a Prada bag, how do the quality of each brand compare and which do you prefer? Modelling pics will be great also.

Thank you!
hi, while i don´t own the double cuir, i own the saffiano double zip tote in white and i own the small sdj in smooth tan.

I bought the saffiano in 2009 and its still holding up. After using it for 5 years as a workhorse (where i literally stuffed everything like a 1 liter water bottle in there, my 2 year old nephew scratched it inside with a pen) it held up well. The problem was the zipper discoloration but i took it to prada and they sent it in to be fixed. 8 years later i still use it.
the SDJ i bought last year and though i havnt used it as much (it is a lot heavier), i don´t think it scratches that easily but i would never take it out in rain. I honestly think if you want a bag that is a workhorse the prada is very good. you will need to be a bit more careful with the sdj but its very luxe looking

hi, while i don´t own the double cuir, i own the saffiano double zip tote in white and i own the small sdj in smooth tan.

I bought the saffiano in 2009 and its still holding up. After using it for 5 years as a workhorse (where i literally stuffed everything like a 1 liter water bottle in there, my 2 year old nephew scratched it inside with a pen) it held up well. The problem was the zipper discoloration but i took it to prada and they sent it in to be fixed. 8 years later i still use it.
the SDJ i bought last year and though i havnt used it as much (it is a lot heavier), i don´t think it scratches that easily but i would never take it out in rain. I honestly think if you want a bag that is a workhorse the prada is very good. you will need to be a bit more careful with the sdj but its very luxe looking

Thanks so much for your update! The SDJ in terms of quality and looks, look amazing. When I tried the bag on in store, it wasn't that heavy. But it wasn't packed with my things either. Thanks for helping me decide. I so have the saffiano Bn2274 and that is a kind of heavy bag. So hopefully the Double Cuir is a lot lighter than the SDJ.

Reactions: schuhgal
I own both (my SDJ is the small size and in smooth leather). The SDJ, because of the design (maybe with the foldings on the side, which means more leather), feels heavier than the Prada double cuir.
I got my Prada about 7 months before the SDJ. In terms of scratches, both have held up significantly well, given I used to carry them in alternate weeks (1 whole week for the Prada, and the next whole week for the SDJ) for about a year continuously.
You haven't mentioned resell value, but given the SDJ is still quite popular and appeals to a likely younger audience, whereas the Prada double cuir is often seen in more 'serious'/professional ladies, the SDJ appears more hyped up and sought after, which is reflected by its higher resale value.

Hope this helps. I can take mod shots for you tomorrow in the daylight to help see the differences better :smile: