possible to make a size 12 dress smaller? like to a size 4?

meep!

May 25, 2010
So i found a beautiful Valentino dress on eBay. It's sooo gorgeous. AND marked down from $10,000 to a few hundred!! :nuts: However, there's only one and it's size 12. I'm a size 4, give or take. Is it possible to alter it to be my size. I know there will be lots of extra material but that's ok, it will make the dress poofier, right? Or would it just look weird? Thanks for the help..!!

you need to find a great tailor! or maybe even a dress maker who understands pattern making to size it down. try going to a bridal shop and find out who does their tailoring
but i'm sure it is going to cost an arm and leg, maybe even as much as the dress

it's possible, I purchased a size 12 Armani Prive dress (found at an estate sale) and had it sized down to a 6. The tailor I used was well known for patternmaking and revamping dresses. He was able to get all of the detailing sized down - not loosing any of the draping affect the dress had. It took him about 3 weeks to do it, because he did most of it by hand, but it turned out great. I still wear it.

Like another posted, you will have to find a GREAT tailor or dressmaker and it will cost you.

Good Luck!

Like another posted, you will have to find a GREAT tailor or dressmaker and it will cost you. Good Luck!

I agree completely. My friend does some amazing things as a hobby tailor but it's all by hand and she only does a couple projects each year. It's definitely not impossible but it will take time and money.

think about this: people buy wedding dress many sizes too big, because it's the only one in the store or for whatever reason, can't get their size. They get sized down to perfection for the bride.

So, if someone can work on a very detailed wedding dress (with lace, beading, draping, etc.), fear not, your dress may be worked on too.

I had a BCBG gown sized down from a 12 to a size 4. I knew the seamstress, who makes wedding gowns, so she only charged me $50 but the dress had so many intricate details that I felt bad for her afterwards. She had the dress back to me in 10 days, too.