Poor Belle lost an ear...

Belle is home and she seems to be doing fine. She's not her usual energetic self, but I think the anesthesia is still in her system. She is wagging her tail and cuddling on the sofa. No calls from the kennel to check up on her...I'm not shocked.

What an awful story, I'm so sorry to hear that happened to your baby and you had to experience something so horrible! I would have flipped out.

I mean, how could they have not noticed? Unless the dogs were outside in the dark right before you picked them up. But still, it is their responsibility to make sure the dogs are safe and monitored. I'm sure they were flipped out too, but it's really a shame they immediately blamed your dogs instead of finding out what actually happened.

Awwww, I hope the poor girl is feeling better soon :sad:

I left my three dogs with a local kennel for the holiday while I went out of town. I had used this particular kennel several times before without problems. Last night, I picked them up and since it was dark, I couldn't get a good look at them. When I started up my truck and the interior lights came on, I saw blood everywhere...the seats, dashboard, door...freaking everywhere!

I immediately grabbed Belle, who was also covered in blood, to see that she only had half a right ear! Half of her ear was gone and blood was gushing out! I ran inside and yelled at the kennel owner to get towels for me. He ran out and took Belle back inside so he could put some blood clotting stuff on her ear. I called the vet, who graciously offered to open the clinic at 9:00 at night to see Belle. The kennel owner rode in the backseat to hold Belle and he cleaned up the backseat for me. In order to clean up the wound for stiches, another inch had to be cut off her ear. My poor baby now has one ear.

The kennel owner apologized, but denied that anything happened in the kennel. He tried to say that one of my other dogs must have bitten her ear off. I told him that there was no way and the vet confirmed that it was not a bite, but a clean cut, and it was not recent. Essentially, it look like someone simply cut off her ear on Friday or Saturday. I took him the vet bill this morning and without even looking at it, he handed me money. Yeah...that didn't do a lot to convince me that he didn't know what happened to her.

I just need to vent so badly...I keep going from being angry to being sad.

:cry: poor belle, please give her a hug for me. i'm so angry for you!!!

You know, you might want to look into what state agency licenses boarding facilities in your state and report them or see if they have other incidents on record.

^There is no requirement in Texas that a kennel be licensed. I think the only time a license is needed is when it involves racing horses or dogs. But, they also do grooming, which I think requires a license...I'll look in to that.

She slept with me last night in my bed since DH went back to working nights...she was in heaven. She's a little more active this morning. She's rubbing her head against everything to try and get the bandages off, but those suckers aren't going anywhere. I can imagine how irritating it must be! By tomorrow, she'll probably be back to her old self. I allowed her to have contact last night with the other two. She snapped at them every time they got near her, and the hair all down her back was sticking straight up until they all calmed down. They were just curious about the thing wrapped around her head, but she wasn't having any part of it.

The vet called to ask how she was doing (still no call from the kennel). She told me about a vet in town that does ear trimming for show dogs and she offered to make an appointment for me so we could see about getting Belle's ears even. I think I'll leave her a little lop-sided...it will fit her silly personality.

I'm still sick about it. I cannot imagine how much it hurt!

I have never understood why dogs have to be surgically altered (ears and tail docking) just to fit some human ideal. It is like declawing cats. Cruel and unnecessary, IMO. I understand tipping the ear of feral female cats to indicate they have been spayed------ I have one that hangs out here :smile:

I don't think Belle will even notice once she gets those nasty bandages off and heals up.

Sounds like the kennel owner did know what happened, since he handed over the money for the vet so readily. It is just too bad that he didn't notify you when the incident happened - that would have been the right thing to do.

I'm so sorry this happened to poor Belle ... how is she doing now? Hugs to you and Belle.

She's sporting her new quarter-ear. She managed to take her bandage off during the night and she wouldn't let me put if back on. I can't blame her...it looked really uncomfortable. It already looks like it is healing well. But, she is constantly tilting her head to the right. it must feel really strange to her.

IMG00117-20111129-1852.JPG