POLL: do you have more confidence in the durability of vintage pieces?

do you have more confidence in the durability of older pieces compared to new releases?

• yes, i feel older pieces will hold up to use over time, whereas newer releases might not

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • no, i feel just as confident in the durability of the newer pieces as compared with vintage ones.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

luvspurses

O.G.
Mar 9, 2008
so, the debate over the quality of older pieces vs. newer releases has been discussed, but lately i have been revisiting this question. i have some older pieces that have not been abused and they have held up very well. i have also read about a number of issues that have been reported on some of the newer bags. i asked myself the above question, and i really think i do have more confidence in the durability and longevity of the older bags. for instance, lately i have been thinking about the sperone backpack. i am hesitant to purchase it for a few reasons. one is that the canvas seems thinner than my older pieces. another concern is that unlike my montsourris backpack, the drawstring goes through slots that have no grommets. these types of changes make me feel like a piece i buy today might not pass the test of time. soooo, i was wondering how others felt. do you feel as confident in the durability of the new pieces as you would in an older item? i thought it would be interesting to see how the responses stack up. so here goes.

I personally feel that the older pieces, especially the ones from the 90's to the early 00's, were made of better materials and that they weren't being as rushed which helped to improve craftsmenship and/or catch defects. Today LV seems to be cutting a lot of corners, treating production like it's a race, "trimming the fat" with materials, etc. in an effort to increase their already ridiculously high profits; they're not alone by any stretch of the imagination, a lot of companies are in the same boat, but it's making it gradually more difficult to justify the price tag.

don't know anything older than 2003, but I do find differences of pieces made between 2003 to present of some bags I have had. A few of them were same models but colors of the canvas, stitchings, material used on the zipper pulls, quality of the zipper were slightly different. But I can't say the quality is getting worse, because some of my new, newer pieces made in USA are perfect, and I have seen new ones are not so well made. So maybe each bag is different.

Reactions: prepster