Plemont's Home for Old Bags

Plemont

Mulberry collector
O.G.
Jan 11, 2012
Since joining this forum, I have developed an irresistible urge for rescuing unloved and unwanted old bags (I mean classic Mulberries) that just need a bit of TLC to bring them back to their former glory - or as near as possible!

Actually, looking back, even in my pre-tpf days, all the signs were there:cool: So before I introduce today's new arrival at the retirement home, here's a pictorial history of my rescue bags!

Since joining this forum, I have developed an irresistible urge for rescuing unloved and unwanted old bags (I mean classic Mulberries) that just need a bit of TLC to bring them back to their former glory - or as near as possible!

Actually, looking back, even in my pre-tpf days, all the signs were there:cool: So before I introduce today's new arrival at the retirement home, here's a pictorial history of my rescue bags!

Oh cant wait and then u can pop in and guess my reveal on the other thread as well. :smile:

My first pre-loved Mulberry - a black shoulder bag. This purchase was inspired by my classy sister-in-law who owned a very similar one from new.

Found in a very poor state on eBay - the black leather had faded to show brown undertones and the stitching had come apart at one end of the zip. A bit of spit and polish (not literally!) and a trip to the local cobblers, and one unloved beauty was back in use.

ph40b6.jpg

My first pre-loved Mulberry - a black shoulder bag. This purchase was inspired by my classy sister-in-law who owned a very similar one from new.

Found in a very poor state on eBay - the black leather had faded to show brown undertones and the stitching had come apart at one end of the zip. A bit of spit and polish (not literally!) and a trip to the local cobblers, and one unloved beauty was back in use.

ph40b6.jpg

Oh nice my sister would like that one a nice simple no fuss bag she has no mulberries whatsover.
I might have to find her one for her birthday at the end of the yr.
Its a good feeling when u repair an old bag i gives a lot of satisfaction.

Rescue bag number two arrived last winter. She was found on a vintage stall at Spitalfields Market which is really trendy and really expensive! However this bag hadn't sold - because of that musty odour which the old tartan-liners sometimes pick up over the years.

This wasn't a quick fix! I tried the recommended method of putting the bag inside a bin liner with a saucer of bicarbonate of soda which helped a bit. Plan B (and don't laugh:cool:) was to cut some Odour Eaters shoe inserts down and put one in each pocket of the bag. I've also been hanging the bag on the washing line in direct sunlight (well on the few days we've had sunlight) and that's just about got rid of the mustiness now.

This bag is definitely worth the effort - it's absolutely bomb-proof and has emerged unscathed from wind, snow, heavy rain and just general all-round abuse. My most-carried Mulberry.

Here she is at Bluewater (in a Starbucks of course!)

ph4ob2.jpg

Last edited:
This old lady gets around a bit - here she is at one of my favourite places, Paper Mill Lock in Essex. I really wouldn't carry any other Mulberry when messing around in boats, but she can take it

ph4ob4.jpg

Just as a thought, even when I buy a new bag it has a vintage look - when I chose a brand new Bayswater back in February, I didn't go for NVT oak but instead plumped for my beautiful already wrinkly-and-slouchy Buffalo Bambi that actually looks like well-worn oak.

ph4ob3.jpg

Plemont said:
This old lady gets around a bit - here she is at one of my favourite places, Paper Mill Lock in Essex. I really wouldn't carry any other Mulberry when messing around in boats, but she can take it

Ooh one of my fave places too! Nothing beats a stroll along there when the sun is shining!

Ooh one of my fave places too! Nothing beats a stroll along there when the sun is shining!

Wow! I thought it was quite a well-kept secret (but obviously deserves to be better known!) I love Paper Mill, we had a small boat there for a few years and it's still somewhere I escape to quite a lot.