Please tell me my Nikki will be ok...

eaw1

O.G.
Jan 14, 2007
Just got a new to me Nikki that smells like smoke (thanks for not disclosing that, ebay seller...ugh). So I boldly pulled out the lining and gently/carefully washed it. Of course, I chose to do this too late in the day when I'm tired. And of course, water got on the leather. Like, a lot. It's a dark grey Nikki with gunmetal HW and birdie lining. Smooshy broken in, lovely leather.
Please, anyone with experience, tell me it'll dry fine? The seller did say it had been conditioned...so I'm hoping this will help?
Thoughts?
Thanks.

Just got a new to me Nikki that smells like smoke (thanks for not disclosing that, ebay seller...ugh). So I boldly pulled out the lining and gently/carefully washed it. Of course, I chose to do this too late in the day when I'm tired. And of course, water got on the leather. Like, a lot. It's a dark grey Nikki with gunmetal HW and birdie lining. Smooshy broken in, lovely leather.
Please, anyone with experience, tell me it'll dry fine? The seller did say it had been conditioned...so I'm hoping this will help?
Thoughts?
Thanks.
i had the same experience before. i hate the tobacco/ mothballs scent which has been absorbed into the material.

what i have done was first to wash the lining carefully with soap and to wait it to get dry (perhaps use a hair dryer). make sure it's dry and then put some baking soda into it and put the whole bag into a plastic bag and tie it up. wait for a day or two, remove the baking soda and hang the bag on a rack or hanger outside the house/ apartment or under the window over night. then it should smell less awful. when i find it smell good, i spray home fragrance or perfume on the lining. it smells wonderful afterwards :smile:

I've only done this once, had a bunch of big scary water splotches, but the leather did dry just fine. I did towel it off/blow dry it a bit, then perched it upside down with the lining out. Hope your Nikki ends up ok!

Thanks!
What I'm most worried about are the ginormous water splotches that are sllloooowly drying. I know there's nothing I can do right now but wait.
I should've waited to wash the lining when I wasn't so tired and sloppy!

When I washed the lining of one MAM I got that had musty smell, I used a towel to wrap the leather part. So I agree that you do this when you are in full control of your senses. :smile:

Anyway, I guess it depends on the kind of leather that your bag came in. I just had rain water spots on another MAM and it dried instantly. Then I have this Nikki that I conditioned with Leather Honey that had dark splotches a long time but eventually went away (it might be different though since it was not water).

I hope your bag leather returns to its normal look. Please do update us.

When I washed the lining of one MAM I got that had musty smell, I used a towel to wrap the leather part. So I agree that you do this when you are in full control of your senses. :smile:

Anyway, I guess it depends on the kind of leather that your bag came in. I just had rain water spots on another MAM and it dried instantly. Then I have this Nikki that I conditioned with Leather Honey that had dark splotches a long time but eventually went away (it might be different though since it was not water).

I hope your bag leather returns to its normal look. Please do update us.

I'm happy to report that my worrying was over the top--it appears to be ok! There are just some slight lines around the edges of the biggest spot, but it still has some drying to do. I'm hoping with a good conditioning when it's completely dry, there won't be evidence of my sloppiness!

And then I'll move on to getting rid of the smoke. Yucko.

Thanks, all!

I had a bad apple juice spill in my tan Fossil bag where the whole bottom part was drenched. I washed it with water, then with leather soap and then kept applying baby powder to it until all the stains were gone. I also used some leather conditioner. It is hardly visible now.

I read that baby powder soaks up moisture better than baking soda? Not sure but it worked for me.

I have used the same for leather sandals that had little oil blotches on them from a BBQ (don't be near the grill with leather!)