Please Recommend a Clarifying Shampoo for Color Treated Hair

TxGlam

Shop. Spend. Repeat.
O.G.
May 24, 2007
I want to pick up a bottle clarifying shampoo tomorrow but I'm worried about it stripping my hair color...what's the best stuff out there? I don't want my color to fade but I feel like I currently have build up from using Redken Soft and Biolage Shampoo for color treated hair. It feels sticky!

Has anyone tried the Frederic Fekkai Apple Cider Clarifying Shampoo on colored hair?

Thanks!:smile:

I've used Biolage volumizing shampoo, it has citrus in it and is really clarifying and removes the sticky buildup without washing out color. Also have used Burt's Bees when I was on a 'try all the natural products' kick to see what the natural companies could do with my hair! I like Abba better than Burt's Bees as far as that goes.

I use Pantente's Clarifying shampoo and it works alright. I don't know if it will fade your highlights though.. I chopped all of the coloured hair off for the natural shade to grow back.

Suave is great, is read about it in Paula's book and have been using it for a while now. My hair is highlighted as well.

Yay, another Paula Begoun follower! I use Sauve Daily clarifying shampoo as well, every 2-3 wash.

From Paula Begoun:

Shampoo for All Hair Types
Whether you wash with the practically-free Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, for Normal to Oily Hair ($1.29 for 15 ounces) or use White Rain Extra Body Shampoo ($1.32 for 15 ounces), your hair won’t know you didn’t spend several more dollars for Frederic Fekkai Technician Shampoo for Normal Hair ($18.50 for 8 ounces). All of these shampoos will cleanse hair and scalp beautifully and do not cause buildup. They’re also great for removing excess buildup from conditioning shampoos and styling products.

Pureology makes really good clarifying shampoos especially for color treated hair. All the ingredients are supposedly vegan and the products are meant to help prolong hair color. My mom uses their shampoo (in the pink bottle) for years and loves it.

Thanks! I went to sephora today and got a sample of the Frederic Frekkai Apple Cider Clarifying shampoo. I will try it tomorrow and hopefully it won't hurt my color. I only plan on using clarifying shampoo once in a while to get rid of build up, I'll let you know how it turns out!

Juice organic range is great. It's colourless & odourless so it's gentle to coloured hair.
Burt's Bees range was awful on my thick, curly, dark hair - it made it go like straw.

Does anyone know of a gentle clarifying shampoo that safe for highlights? Every once in a while I can feel that there's enough product build-up that my hair would look a LOT better if it was gone. However, the clarifying shampoos I've used leave my hair feeling like straw when I rinse them out! It so awful that I feel the need to use the heaviest deep conditioner I have to counteract it.

Normally, I have to use moisturizing shampoos and conditoners because my hair is thick and tends to be frizzy. (It doesn't play well alone normally, in other words!) Any suggestions?

Does anyone know of a gentle clarifying shampoo that safe for highlights? Every once in a while I can feel that there's enough product build-up that my hair would look a LOT better if it was gone. However, the clarifying shampoos I've used leave my hair feeling like straw when I rinse them out! It so awful that I feel the need to use the heaviest deep conditioner I have to counteract it.

Normally, I have to use moisturizing shampoos and conditoners because my hair is thick and tends to be frizzy. (It doesn't play well alone normally, in other words!) Any suggestions?

Nexus clarifying shampoo is gentle but very good. It's hard to find though.

For a drugstore brand try Herbal Essences by Clairol, they're gentle shampoos & conditioners that are developed for colored hair. If you want to spend a little more $ go for Lush's H'suan Wen Hua hair treatment.