PLEASE READ!! Dog Food Analysis.

The information I read today gives me anger to realize that if I am willing to pay good money to put GOOD food into myself, then I should not fail to do the same for my dear ones that i love so much.

ITA with this! If I'm willing to buy myself good food, why would I feed by dog junk? I love her like she's my child! I'd rather cut some expense out of my life (like skip one pricey dinner out) in order to buy her a better food.

I have so many friends who feed their animals bad food. I've tried telling two of my friends (with cats) in a subtle way that the food they're feeding their babies is crap, but they didn't take the hint. A lot of people don't realize that a more expensive food might not cost that much more than the junk they're feeding now b/c usually you have to feed less of a better-quality food. And the myth that Iams and the like are good are perpetuated by vets who get their nutrition classes in vet school sponsored by Iams/Purina/etc. I only recently convinced my brother to switch his dog from Iams to Evo.

I feed my dog Acana (made by Champion Pet Foods - same maker as Orijen - just not quite as high protein) and I feel very good about it. Most importantly, my dog will usually eat it without me having to doctor it up. She's a very picky eater, so that says something!

I also ocasionally (when I remember to buy it) feed my dog raw, either Nature's Variety or Stella & Chewy's. She gobbles that down in about 30 seconds! :nuts:

Fed my dogs top of the line Eukunuba for years, had to bribe them to eat it, switched to Nature's Recipe and they devour the dry food without me having to add any wet, that says it all for me

I feed my Mini Schnauzer Orijen - as other posters have said, I wouldnt feed myself crap everyday so why would I do that to my dog? I *hope* that I am giving him a good start in life by buying a decent food for him.

^Yep, granted I'm posting in this thread as a cat owner who changed my cat food for the same reasons as the dog food analysis thread indicated.
I've seen less upset tummies and hairballs (partly to adding more petromalt) and they don't tend to eat as much. Somehow, one of the cats has lost weight and then regained it on the new food!

Fed my dogs top of the line Eukunuba for years, had to bribe them to eat it, switched to Nature's Recipe and they devour the dry food without me having to add any wet, that says it all for me

Same here - I switched my dog's food SIX different times over an 8 month period trying to find one she would eat eat. Got on the dog food analysis website, found the Blue Buffalo was carried at PetSmart and tried it. I didn't even get to "wean" her off the old food, she literally would pick the BB out of the mix and leave the Purina Pro Plan all over the floor.

Same here - I switched my dog's food SIX different times over an 8 month period trying to find one she would eat eat. Got on the dog food analysis website, found the Blue Buffalo was carried at PetSmart and tried it. I didn't even get to "wean" her off the old food, she literally would pick the BB out of the mix and leave the Purina Pro Plan all over the floor.

That is great, dogs are funny like that, my Pit used to spit his Eukunabu on the floor that should have been a sign:P

Has anyone tried Grandma Lucy's dog food? It sounds like a really great company, and I'm searching for a new dog food (again!)

I'm at my wit's end - my dog is SO PICKY! I don't know if it's just her or if I made her this way (when she gets bored of something I usually jazz it up by adding cheese, and I do free-feed), but I'm tired of it. I went to the pet store and bought 2 sample bags of food (one Orijen, one Acana), and she was more into the Orijen, but when I went to give it to her today she turned her nose up at it. She also wouldn't eat the Fresh-pet wet-ish type food that I crumbed on top either (the woman that owns the pet food store recommended it). So then I made up a sample of Sojo's beef food (you add water to it), and she wouldn't eat that, but then she ate the bowl of Orijen topped with Fresh-pet that was still out.

I don't know what to do with her! I do think I need to stop free feeding (and stop with the cheese), but I don't know how to get her to consistently eat one food without changing it up (besides flavor rotation) every month. She loves raw, but it's so expensive (like $60/mo), and I'd only like to feed her raw full-time as a last resort.

Any ideas?

My idea is to stop changing her food every second or when you think she is 'bored'. yes, you are making it worse!! She will not let herself starve to death, I promise you!!! I know it is hard to see and watch her not eat, but that is what you will have to do!!! I used to sit on the ground and hand feed my dog because that was the only way she would eat, it was nuts!

Here's my suggestion, go out and buy a dog food you think is good and healthy and you can afford. Feed her once in the morning and once at night the recommended amount of food for her size. If she doesn't eat, she doesn't eat, period! Take it away after a half an hour. And, as hard as it is to watch, do not cave to her! She will eat eventually, no dog is going to let themselves tarve to death! Stick to it and tough it out.

I could not agree more with Nishi!!! Many years ago I had a beagle. We went out of town for a week and left her with my mother. When we came back, a barrel rolled out to greet us! She had gained 8 pounds in one week! My mother said that she just wouldn't eat that dry food for her, so Mother fried up some chicken and made milk gravy and poured that on top of her food. Oh she ate alright! It's a wonder she didn't die of pancreatitis eating all that fat!

After we got her home, she refused to eat for 10 days. I kept calling my vet who kept assuring me that a dog, unlike a cat, will not starve herself to death. I held out and she finally ate.

I would add to Nishi's recommendations that you feed her in her crate (if you don't use one, start!). Put your dog and her food in the crate, leave her for 20-30 minutes (do NOT stay in the room and encourage her!!!!!), and then remove her and any uneaten food. Do the same at the next meal. She will eventually eat. I would continue to feed her in her crate.

Thanks so much for the suggestions, ladies!

I will stop babying her and switching her food every time she seems bored. I am definitely making the problem worse b/c now she knows if she won't eat her food, I'll give her something better. That will stop!

I will also stop free-feeding and only leave her food out for a little bit.

India, what's the benefit to having her eat her food in her crate? I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't crate her. I tried when she was a puppy but she barked so much I stopped. I have a plastic kennel thing, and a wire crate (that remains unused). The only time she goes in her kennel is when we go for a ride, and she's scared of her kennel b/c she gets car sick (although I do give her special meds now when we go for long rides).

I got a crate for Christmas and I still have not tried to use it. :shame:

A crate (doesn't matter what kind - I use the plastic Vari-Kennels as I can also use them on airplanes), is a safe place for a dog. Plumber coming, making multiple trips back and forth to his truck? Put the dog in her crate. Company that doesn't care for animals or a big crowd with the door constantly being opened? Put her in her crate. Travel in the car or by plane? Again, in the crate.

It's important for the dog to see her crate as her "safe place". Dogs are den animals and usually like the darkness and safety of a crate. To get the dog to see this as someplace nice to go, have it associated with food or a treat. By feeding in the crate, you keep your girl from being distracted at mealtime - no different than insisting that a child stay at the table and not get down and roam around during meals. It also makes a positive association between food (a VERY GOOD THING!), and the crate. In a multi-dog household, one is able to be sure which dog is eating and which one might be off her food. It's also a HUGE help with housebreaking.

A Kong toy filled with bits of kibble is also a good way to get the dog to like her crate when she must be crated at times other than mealtime.

I strongly recommend you buy "Good Owners, Great Dogs" by Brian Kilcommons. It is the best dog training book ever!!!

By the way, she's awfully cute!!!

I am a really big believer in rotating dog food, so I don't think there is anything wrong with switching her food up when she is bored. I feed my Maltese 2 meals a day (wet food in the morning, dry in the afternoon) and change up her flavors often. For her caned food, I buy several flavors from the same brand which is Nature's Instinct Variety. Her favorite is the chicken so we will do chicken, lamb, chicken, beef, chicken, rabbit and so on. Her dry food is currently Fromm's Surf and Turf. She has a 4 lb bag and when that is done we will either try Orijen or go with my other plan of going all wet food and doing Grandma Lucy's. My vet wants her to have 3 different protein sources she can rotate.
Here is a really helpful article. http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/how-often-should-i-change-foods.html.
If it has already been posted my apologies.

I also have a crate for her which is her own special space. She loves it. I haven't ever fed her in it though.

Just my 2 cents :smile:

Has anyone tried Grandma Lucy's dog food? It sounds like a really great company, and I'm searching for a new dog food (again!)

I'm at my wit's end - my dog is SO PICKY! I don't know if it's just her or if I made her this way (when she gets bored of something I usually jazz it up by adding cheese, and I do free-feed), but I'm tired of it. I went to the pet store and bought 2 sample bags of food (one Orijen, one Acana), and she was more into the Orijen, but when I went to give it to her today she turned her nose up at it. She also wouldn't eat the Fresh-pet wet-ish type food that I crumbed on top either (the woman that owns the pet food store recommended it). So then I made up a sample of Sojo's beef food (you add water to it), and she wouldn't eat that, but then she ate the bowl of Orijen topped with Fresh-pet that was still out.

I don't know what to do with her! I do think I need to stop free feeding (and stop with the cheese), but I don't know how to get her to consistently eat one food without changing it up (besides flavor rotation) every month. She loves raw, but it's so expensive (like $60/mo), and I'd only like to feed her raw full-time as a last resort.

Any ideas?

I have an 11 month old Shih Tzu who I have been feeding Orijen Puppy Formula and now am starting to gradually feed her the Orijen Adult. She is finicky. Sometimes it takes her hours to eat and I get so frustrated so I know how you feel. I even started mixing in sweet potatos just to get her to eat it. But it is true that they will not starve themselves. She will eventually eat. I got her at 8 weeks and the breeder was feeding her Royal Canin and she strongly urged me to continue feeding her this. I researched and found that that was really not a high quality food. . . Orijen had won Pet Food of the Year for 2 years and it did get the 6 stars. I would stick to Orijen.