Please identify this CHANEL

It was about 12" wide and had a short strap - leather on top and chains that attached the leather to the bag. Buttery soft leather with a perforated diamond pattern. The top zipped and about 2" folded over. It was in a beige-y color for $1595 but there was a black version that was more like $2400 with a slightly different diamond pattern. Not sure what explains the huge price difference.

Thanks!

I agree.The price difference is just crazy!
May I ask how the leather feels on the two styles compared?Maybe the more pricey one has softer lambskin which could justify the price difference?
The ultimate soft is not a permanent part of the collection but Chanel does bring the style back quite often though.I think last year there was also the lavender colour in addition to the beige and black...not sure tho.An SA told me that.I just love the coral colour of this style!

Hi, everyone,

I hope it's okay to post this request for help here. I'm an occasional poster in the Balenciaga forum but wanted to ask you Chanel connoisseurs for some advice and help, please.

I have a beautiful, beautiful Chanel bag that I bought as a leaving present when I left France to return to live in England. This was back in around 1994 and was bought from, if I remember correctly, the Chanel boutique in either Printemps or Galeries Layfayette.

Unfortunately, I am certainly no expert in Chanel, although I do have (and love) a few items from my time living in France. So I am relying on you to please tell me a little more about my bag, if possible.

My bag measures 19cm x 11cm x 7cm (7.5" x just over 4.5" x 2.75") and I shall post some photos below. I've kept everything - the dustbag, Carte d'Authenticité, the box, ribbon, carrier bag - and I had to chuckle as I've just noticed that there are even some Chanel perfume samples in a miniature carrier inside, too - I'd totally forgotten they were in there!)

Firstly, does anyone know the style name of the bag, please?

Also, would it be in lambskin or Caviar? (I'm afraid I don't even have any idea of the difference between the two!)

Is this style model still in production?

Finally, please could someone let me know the approximate value today?

I have a big decision to make. Although I love this bag, I have only used it once (for a couple of hours only) and am wondering whether to trade it in for a BBag. Part of me thinks it would be far more sensible to buy another Bal, which I know I'd get loads of use from, rather than a gorgeous Chanel that just sits in my wardrobe and is only taken out to be admired once every 5 years and never actually used - but there's a little part of me wondering whether I might regret selling it.

As well as info on my bag, I'd be very interested to know your views on whether or not I should keep it. I know I must make the decision for myself but some different viewpoints might help me to finally decide.

Thank you all so much for any help you can give me.

(Please excuse my dreadful looking hands and fingernails in the photos - I've ruined them as I'm currently in the middle of sanding down and painting our wooden bannisters and staircase! )

BagFront.jpg

Back.jpg

Top.jpg

Bottom.jpg

OpenFlap.jpg

Interior.jpg

ChainFastener.jpg

ChainLength.jpg

It is defiantly lamb skin and it is gorgeous, caviar is calf skin and kinda a bumpy "caviar" like texture. lambskin Chanel bags are more expensive than caviar but caviar is more durable (great for everyday use). It is a medium timeless classic flap. I'm pretty sure the current version of your bag sells for $2650. I don't know how much the vintageness increases the value...don't sell it, use it!!!

Thank you both soooo much!

It's wonderful to finally know what she's called, after all these long years when she's been hiding at the bottom of my wardrobe! :smile:

It is defiantly lamb skin and it is gorgeous, caviar is calf skin and kinda a bumpy "caviar" like texture. lambskin Chanel bags are more expensive than caviar but caviar is more durable (great for everyday use). It is a medium timeless classic flap. I'm pretty sure the current version of your bag sells for $2650. I don't know how much the vintageness increases the value...don't sell it, use it!!!

Ah! So that's what Caviar means. I had this weird idea that it just referred to the colour black! That makes sense - bumpy like a dollop of caviar eggs. The leather on my bag is incredibly silky and soft, such beautiful quality. The quilting is like a work of art.

Actually, I've been taking a closer look at the fantastic information section in the forum and think she must be a vintage equivalent of the small flap, rather than the medium. Please could anyone confirm that for me? She's very dainty indeed - smaller in some measurements than the small, but slightly larger in others.

My problem is that she's far too small for me to use during the day. I currently carry my Bal Hobo everywhere I go - and I can fit all of my many, many bits and pieces nicely inside. I'd never survive with just a cute little bag - heck, my Bal Compagnon wallet wouldn't even fit inside! :shame:

As for evenings, I rarely go to posh events these days - the only ones I do attend usually involve dancing, and there's NO way I'd dare leave my little Chanel beauty anywhere whilst I hit the dancefloor, and I'd be worried about her getting knocked around by tipsy dancers if I wore her on my shoulder.

I just can't imagine me ever using her In fact, I haven't used her, apart from for one fashion show many years ago. Whereas, I'd get loads of use from another Bal - and I'm desperately longing for a Violet, if I can find one.

Then again, I know for sure (with the prices rises, especially) that if I sell my Chanel, I'll never, ever be able to afford another one. If she were larger, I'd definitely keep her, for sure.