Please help...opinion needed on possible wedding dresses

SuLi

O.G.
Nov 1, 2005
Hi everyone!

So, I am getting married next October. It's going to be a destination wedding (we're still debating between Hawaii or Santorini), with my FI, his sister, my brother, and myself only. I've never been one to imagine myself with a fancy wedding or a frou-frou dress. I've been really overwhelmed dress shopping, partly because I don't have any family or girlfriends in the area. The dresses that I've been looking at tend to be more modest, simple, and easy going. Here are some of the dresses that I am considering...the only one that I haven't tried on is the J.Crew one. I would love to know what people think about them, or whether they can recommend other options. Ideally, I would love to spend around $1000, and definitely no more than $2000.

The first few are Nicole Miller dresses:

(Picture from Nordstrom.com) - This dress is around $575, but the thing that bugs me the most is the back of the dress and how it looks...particularly the straps.

Another Nicole Miller...please see this eBay link - http://cgi.ebay.com/NICOLE-MILLER-B...ryZ63851QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This retails for around $1100, and it's really pretty, but I think it might be a little to slinky for my comfort. I did try this on in front of my mom and future MIL, but my mom didn't love it while my future MIL did...but only because it reminded her of her own dress! If I get this dress, I would have them "reduce" the bow in the back.

The next dress is by Watters:

product_image.php

(Picture from House of Brides online)

This dress retails for around $1670 at Priscilla's of Boston. It was one of the first dresses that I tried on and fell in love with. But, I'm kind of having doubts about the tea length. I'm moving more towards wearing something long because I've never worn anything long (being short) and would love to surprise my FI.

I've also tried on this Ann Taylor dress at their Madison Avenue store two weeks ago:

http://www.anntaylor.com/catalog/department.jsp?N=1200042&categoryId=193
(shows with the sash)

http://www.anntaylor.com/catalog/editorial.jsp?pageName=BridalGowns (it's the Elizabeth and the details of the back are shown)

The dress was really nice, but surprisingly heavy and I got really heated trying it on.

And, the last dress is from J.Crew:

This dress retails around $325...the only concern I have is that you can't try it on since it's an online/catalog exclusive. I've really fallen in love with this particular dress recently. It just seems so breezy and easy.

So, what do you guys think? What are your favorites out of the bunch? Any suggestions? Thank you so much for your opinions! :flowers:

Oooooh, Congrats! a Santorini wedding would be stunning!! I hope you guys pick Santorini, I would love to get married there myself oneday.

I think the first dress would be gorgeous for a Greek Island Wedding, very flowy and Grecian (sp?) But I see what you mean about the straps.

I also like the Elizabeth but it is definitely more traditional imo.

CONGRATS! :woohoo:

I LOVE #1 for a Santorini wedding! I haven't been to Hawaii, but Santorini is sooooooo beautiful.

I like #4 but I like the straps on #1 better.

#2 looks more like a Hawaii dress for some reason. I like it, but I like the style of #1 and #4 better.

#3 I don't really like. It just looks like a white bridesmaid dress, and it doesn't look right for a destination wedding IMO...

My favorite is the J. Crew one. Plus, since they offer it in petite sizes, you would not need as many alterations. As I short person, I learned that this can make a big difference because some styles that aren't designed for petites just overwhelm a short frame.

I ordered one of the silk J. Crew dresses from the same line that I was considering as a bridesmaid dress when I was planning my wedding. I didn't end up loving the colors that were available, but I was able to easily return it at my local J. Crew store. I would order the J. Crew and try it on and you can always return it if you don't like it. I also like this J. Crew one. I have it in black and it is so flattering on.
63533_NA6434_m_HOL07.jpg

I love the first one, it's gorgeous! as for the straps, if I were you, I'd get someone to alter the long straps. I'll have the long straps snipped off so that they're now short and closes with eg. a button or maybe a crystal?? that'd be nice!