Please help me build my handbag collection!

79Sephora

Jan 26, 2013
Hi everyone! I joined the forum a short while ago and I've been avidly reading and enjoying all the posts and pictures. I need your expert help, please. I want to build a good selection of handbags but I find it extremely overwhelming! I know the bags I like but I need a plan of action and attack when it comes to the order in which I should save for and purchase them. And which colour to get in which design. They are all so beautiful!! I would like to have a clear vision and list of the bags and colours I want so I can use it as motivation to work towards saving for them. It's so hard to choose so I always end up just not doing or buying anything.

I currently have four bags and I'll post their pictures below. I don't use or love the two Gucci's much anymore. They were my first two bags and I reached the conclusion that I don't want any more monogram bags. They just aren't me. I'm also generally not into LV or Coach.

Gucci-small.jpg

x

Stella MCartney.jpg

anya-hindmarch-grey-huxley-clutch-product-7-1079138-533354065_large_flex.jpg

And finally, here are examples of bags that I have a serious eye on but can't decide on which to buy first and which to get in what colour lol. So any advice and help in planning this out would be SO appreciated :smile: I'm open to other suggestions, of course. And yes, a Chanel classic flap is also on my mind but at that price point it has to wait a while ;)

Lanvin Happy Shoulder Bag Med.jpg

Saint Laurent Betty.jpg

Y Ligne Large Tote - Camel.jpg

Y Ligne Med Soft Bag-Amethyst.jpg

McQueen De-Manta Tote.jpg

Prada Saffiano Exec Tote.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok the picture of the second Gucci bag was removed because apparently it was a 'fake'. Sorry, I didn't realize that. I just got a picture off Google images. Anyway here is the picture of the bag I own again and this is from NM's website. The leather trim on mine is camel coloured though. As I said in my original post, I don't use or love this one much anymore. I just wanted to give you all an idea of the bags I currently own. Thank you.

NMV0JU3_mx.jpg

Another bag I adore is the Mulberry Bayswater. I'd love to get a hot pink or bright yellow bag but obviously these aren't as 'practical' as other colours so I would think they should be lower on the priority list?

Oh and no Balenciaga bags please :smile:

You want to avoid LV, Gucci, Balenciaga and Coach.Ok!
What about Givenchy Nightingale or Dior St Leu la Forêt?
If I were you, I would buy a rather dark coloured bag...to avoid maintenance and colour transfer....

You want to avoid LV, Gucci, Balenciaga and Coach.Ok!
What about Givenchy Nightingale or Dior St Leu la Forêt?
If I were you, I would buy a rather dark coloured bag...to avoid maintenance and colour transfer....

A good friend or mine lives in St Leu La Forêt...hence the mistake.....:faint:
I meant Dior Milly La Forêt of course!:smile:

I really like the shape of the YSL cabas bags but the arm crook only for me is a deal breaker.

I'd suggest to buy the more expensive and classic shaped bags in neutrals & contemporary designers in fun pops of color.

A good friend or mine lives in St Leu La Forêt...hence the mistake.....:faint:
I meant Dior Milly La Forêt of course!:smile:
Yes I adore the Givenchy nightingale and specifically in the camel colour, medium size but it seems really hard to find! Thanks for clarifying about the Dior bag, I was wondering why my search wasn't turning up any hits lol. Good point about colour transfer. If I was going to get a lighter brighter coloured bag, I would definitely not carry them with dark denim and such. One of my Guccis got ruined with my dark denim. Lesson learned!

Thanks, roanth. The Saint Laurent bags are confusing. They almost all look similar but some do come with a removable, longer strap. I agree with you about arm crook only bags...it's why I hesitate over the Mulberry Bayswater. Good suggestion on the classics being I neutral colours. Thanks!

Between the Lanvin Happy medium bag and the Saint Laurent Betty, which one would be better in black? Which one would I get the most use out of? And which is more likely to stay 'classic'?

Last edited:
Hi guys! I just joined this Forum but would like to ask you a quick question. It's regarding buying a Chanel bag in Milan. Do they require to use half cash and haf credit card when purchasing? It's because it has something to do with of Anti-Money Laundering Law. Your answers will be very much appreciated. Thanks.

From everything I've read, the black Prada is a great workhorse! But I would go purple YSL first (love that bag) because it is a seasonal color, and a great purple is hard to find, which I know because I've been searching for the perfect purple.

It seems you got off to a good start. With so many bags out there, it does get to be overwhelming. Go slow as we all have different tastes. Always build a handbag collection to what fits you as an individual and rarely because its this years’ number one hot bag.

The Prada is definitely a great career bag and if you do need a great and sharp purse in the business world go for it. Stick with the basic black.

The YSL in Camel is still professional with a slightly more casual look. However, the purple appears slightly smaller and would really be versatile if it comes in camel or off white.

The Lavin has a contemporary edge and is great for day into night. If it comes in a neutral shade, go for that. If not, black will do just fine.

From everything I've read, the black Prada is a great workhorse! But I would go purple YSL first (love that bag) because it is a seasonal color, and a great purple is hard to find, which I know because I've been searching for the perfect purple.
Thanks, No Cute. Yes, my attraction to the Prada is that it looks like a great work/every day bag. I tried it on in-store and the small size looked best on me (I'm petite) so it really would transition nicely from day to some night events due to the smaller size.