Please help inspire me to get rid of old junk!

Oh Roz...I'm just itching to come to your place and give it a go!! Oh why can't we be neighbors and friends???!!! I'd have so much fun helping you out!! You too, Stefania!! 'Call me'!;)
Oh I wish too, all help would be gratefully accepted! We could have such fun doing this over a bottle of wine or two or maybe ten :yahoo:

That would be great!

I go through cycles of intense buying and purging. Usually, when I want to start a cleaning cycle, I look at pictures of clean and organized Bathrooms, Closets and Storage spaces. Or, I read the old Cathy comics - when she gets ambitious and cleans things? Somehow, if I can figure on cutting off before I get to the "she gives up" part of the storyline, I can get the energy to keep going with my stuff. Mostly, it's the really pretty pictures! Like tPF thread:
http://forum.purseblog.com/handbags-and-purses/how-do-you-store-your-bags-lets-see-66115.html

Good luck!

The question is - is it better to get 1/6th retail, or whatever pittance the consignment shop gives you, deal with the frustration of dealing with ebay, or just donate the items and get the tax write-off?

I'm trying to clean my own spaces, and purging books that haven't been read in a year, purses that haven't been carried in two, really bad fashion ideas, and other bits of junk, and I'm getting a huge pile of "Worth something, but I don't know how I want to deal with it"
Does anyone have any suggestions?

^^^
I wish! I wish we all hung out in our daily lives and lived in the same town!
It would be so cool Stefania, I have no "Bag addicted" friends here!

Hahaha I was just thinking with you & I being "hoarders" you would probably end up with my junk & me yours :yahoo: I can just see us "Oh you can't throw that out I'll have it" :roflmfao: :roflmfao:

I heard the best way to do this is by using a timer. Set it for however long you like -- 15 minutes, 1/2 hour, etc. and at the end of the time, stop. This will make the task less daunting. Or, work on one section at a time. Maybe start clearing off one table, or one shelf in a closet. Do a little each day. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Maybe you can take before, during and after pics for us!

I do this too, I usually set the timer for 15 minutes, work for 15 minutes, 15 minutes off, until I am done.

I think it gets easier with practice - having moved 4 times in a span of 2 years, I've actually become pretty decent at clearing out my stuff.

I think the trick is actually to be BRUTALLY RUTHLESS. Here's my Mom's rule of thumb - Are you gonna use it? I throw away everything which I won't use.

I used to have a "give away" pile, but from past experiences, they never get picked up/ sold on eBay, so now everything just goes into the dump. :P

Just be disciplined, and set a date for your packing. You'll get into the hang of things once you start, and it'll be easier than you think to finish clearing up everything.

G'Luck!! :flowers:

And clothes that are on hangers, have the hook all go in one way. And everytime you wear a piece turn the hook in the opposite direction, after a couple months donate whatever clothes you still hadn't used.

That is such good advice, why did I never think of that?
I will be doing that from now on, thanks!

It would be so cool Stefania, I have no "Bag addicted" friends here!

Hahaha I was just thinking with you & I being "hoarders" you would probably end up with my junk & me yours :yahoo: I can just see us "Oh you can't throw that out I'll have it" :roflmfao: :roflmfao:
Oh...no, no, no...this girl wouldn't let you two get away w/that...did you forget about me?? The one w/out 'pack-rat-itis'? :graucho: I can see I'd have my work cut out for me w/you two...you'd be sneakin stuff away behind my back, trading 'junk', hiding it in the cellar...bad girls...bad!:lecture: :lol:

and Handbag -luvr...that hanger idea is genius...I love it!

I am laughing here, so much! You are all so funny!!

When we decided to temporarily move all my stuff into my OH's, we did intend to look for a bigger place, and everything was put into storage boxes.

Erm. many of them still packed!!!

I keep on thinking today I will go through that box or this box, and I don't.

I am a hoarder (but, normally a really pedantic one :cursing: ). Whereas my OH is a hoarder but a chaotic one!

Believe it or not, one of the biggest things stopping me doing it, is because we must have 3000 music cd's. They were all categorised in archive on the pc. and I stupidly never backed it up. (Going against my own advice).I still have 3 boxes, and those boxes are the crux of the problem. I should just sit down one day and archive the whole let again, and then get rid of the duplicates. Am I avoiding doing it, because I know I will then have NO excuse to have packed boxes. :wlae:

And Roz at my family house, we have masses of toys, books more lego than lego probably and even star wars toys from the first time round. Not too sure my 24 yo son will want his Millennium Falcon now. LOLOL

Just wondering why I cant do that now, while it is fresh in my mind.

oops, OH on nights and in bed asleep, and guess where the boxes are.

Erm................... so, I will read instead. Oops, found this, maybe tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wlae: <<<<<< Love this, really do.

Procrastinator's Creed

• 1. I believe that if anything is worth doing, it would have been done already.
  • 2. I shall never move quickly, except to avoid more work or find excuses.
  • 3. I will never rush into a job without a lifetime of consideration.
  • 4. I shall meet all of my deadlines directly in proportion to the amount of bodily injury I could expect to receive from missing them.
  • 5. I firmly believe that tomorrow holds the possibility for new technologies, astounding discoveries, and a reprieve from my obligations.
  • 6. I truly believe that all deadlines are unreasonable regardless of the amount of time given.
  • 7. I shall never forget that the probability of a miracle, though infinitesmally small, is not exactly zero.
  • 8. If at first I don't succeed, there is always next year.
  • 9. I shall always decide not to decide, unless of course I decide to change my mind.
  • 10. I shall always begin, start, initiate, take the first step, and/or write the first word, when I get around to it.
  • 11. I obey the law of inverse excuses which demands that the greater the task to be done, the more insignificant the work that must be done prior to beginning the greater task.
  • 12. I know that the work cycle is not plan/start/finish, but is wait/plan/plan.
  • 13. I will never put off until tomorrow, what I can forget about forever.
  • 14. I will become a member of the ancient Order of Two-Headed Turtles (the Procrastinator's Society) if they ever get it organized.

Used to be like that but I CAN'T stand it anymore - terrible, terrible. Sort it out bit by bit - maybe put a TV in that room so you are not too bored (this is what I used to do when I was emptying old boxes etc). You will feel great when it is done -

I used to keep old tees and stuff in case I might 'need' them at some point, and finally threw the lot away - not worth it. but my mother gave away lovely things like chinese carpets etc (don't do that - she is crying for them now...)

The question is - is it better to get 1/6th retail, or whatever pittance the consignment shop gives you, deal with the frustration of dealing with ebay, or just donate the items and get the tax write-off?

I'm trying to clean my own spaces, and purging books that haven't been read in a year, purses that haven't been carried in two, really bad fashion ideas, and other bits of junk, and I'm getting a huge pile of "Worth something, but I don't know how I want to deal with it"
Does anyone have any suggestions?

This has been my problem.... I keep thinking "I could eBay that and get something for it." In reality, I know I'm never going to spend the time it takes to list it, then pack it and ship it if somebody actually wants it. I don't like the idea of a yard sale at all. Thus, I have begun hauling it to the Salvation Army. They do good work, let them take the profit and help others.

Just wondering why I cant do that now, while it is fresh in my mind.

oops, OH on nights and in bed asleep, and guess where the boxes are.

Erm................... so, I will read instead. Oops, found this, maybe tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wlae: <<<<<< Love this, really do.

Procrastinator's Creed

• 1. I believe that if anything is worth doing, it would have been done already.
  • 2. I shall never move quickly, except to avoid more work or find excuses.
  • 3. I will never rush into a job without a lifetime of consideration.
  • 4. I shall meet all of my deadlines directly in proportion to the amount of bodily injury I could expect to receive from missing them.
  • 5. I firmly believe that tomorrow holds the possibility for new technologies, astounding discoveries, and a reprieve from my obligations.
  • 6. I truly believe that all deadlines are unreasonable regardless of the amount of time given.
  • 7. I shall never forget that the probability of a miracle, though infinitesmally small, is not exactly zero.
  • 8. If at first I don't succeed, there is always next year.
  • 9. I shall always decide not to decide, unless of course I decide to change my mind.
  • 10. I shall always begin, start, initiate, take the first step, and/or write the first word, when I get around to it.
  • 11. I obey the law of inverse excuses which demands that the greater the task to be done, the more insignificant the work that must be done prior to beginning the greater task.
  • 12. I know that the work cycle is not plan/start/finish, but is wait/plan/plan.
  • 13. I will never put off until tomorrow, what I can forget about forever.
  • 14. I will become a member of the ancient Order of Two-Headed Turtles (the Procrastinator's Society) if they ever get it organized.

Rofl, that is so funny!! :lol:
I particularly like #8 and #13, I must write them down :whistle:

I was full of good intentions, couple of weeks ago.

One of the regular charity collectors, put a bag through the door. I started to look at what items they were wanting, but they were being so specific, so I stopped.

I have got a box full of brand new products such as Philosophy, L'Occitane, Elemis, you know the bits you buy and dont use, or that happen to be in that luxury set you bought!! (:cursing: )

I dont know whether it is worth the listing on ebay etc. and the postage of them.

I have to rely on OH here, as I am housebound!!! It is yet another problem stopping me, I need to kick myself up the backside!!!!!!

I am going now into the spare room to take a look in the box, and make my mind up whether to sell or give the charity shop. LOLOL

:wlae: