Please help identify leather, color and design

As requested, this thread is now the official Help I.D. Hermes leather, color and design thread. Cheers!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited: Please do nat ask for authentication on this thread.

Reply to any questions regarding any items are NOT be taken as a sign of authenticity. You will have to find a reputable paid-for service.

PT

Funny, 2 Clemence Etrusque bags so closely posted together.

I am new to H, please can the experts share more about this colour?

My DH is from a part of Italy where there are a lot of Etruscan attraction…this is the colour of the earth in places near Rome.

Reactions: r luvs h
It’s a preloved market bag that was listed as Barenia but was clearly not that! Have you ever had a market bag? I’ve always kind of wanted one to toss into a bike basket for errands & things, & I’ve always always wanted something in Etrusque. I know this isn’t the thread for that but you know, I hope, how highly I value your opinion, @r luvs h , so if you’ve got any views on the market bag (or Etrusque), please fire away! :smile:
I just tripped over this same bag….also curious about the Market 28. Not a style I’ve come across previously. Curious if it is Clemence and not the Barenia as listed.
@r luvs h View attachment 5707386
Funny, 2 Clemence Etrusque bags so closely posted together.

I am new to H, please can the experts share more about this colour?

My DH is from a part of Italy where there are a lot of Etruscan attraction…this is the colour of the earth in places near Rome.

Oh lovely! I do not own a Market myself, but I have always thought of it as the slightly more practical cousin of the Picotin. I have not seen many with these specifications. The Market is an older bag and Etrusque is an old colour, though you can see that this is actually a relatively newer one from the Fashionphile pictures. It is definitely Étrusque Clemence— it cannot be Barenia Faubourg, as this is a much newer leather and it cannot be Barenia because the grain is different. I have seen these Market totes with all sorts of specifications— Barenia/Crinoline de Cheval, Barenia/Toile, Buffalo, Clemence, Courchevel, Gulliver, Ostrich, etc. I think my only qualm with these types of bucket bags from Hermès is that they often lack internal pockets.

Étrusque is a favourite colour of mine, and it often has this dark brown stamp on Clemence leather. As @annaria pointed out, the colour is modeled after the soil/clay pigment that was used for ancient frescos and pottery in the eponymous region north of Rome. This is an old Hermès colour that has been offered in several skins and undergone some changes over the years, but I think this specific version of Etrusque with the contrast stitching is probably my favourite. :flowers:

hermès-fresque du tombeau étrusque.jpghermès-sarcophagus étrusque.jpg
Above (left) is an example of an Etruscan tomb fresco. Above (right) is an example of an Etruscan sarcophagus. Both feature the reddish brown Etruscan clay pigments that gave name to the Hermès Etrusque colour.

Oh lovely! I do not own a Market myself, but I have always thought of it as the slightly more practical cousin of the Picotin. I have not seen many with these specifications. The Market is an older bag and Etrusque is an old colour, though you can see that this is actually a relatively newer one from the Fashionphile pictures. It is definitely Étrusque Clemence— it cannot be Barenia Faubourg, as this is a much newer leather and it cannot be Barenia because the grain is different. I have seen these Market totes with all sorts of specifications— Barenia/Crinoline de Cheval, Barenia/Toile, Buffalo, Clemence, Courchevel, Gulliver, Ostrich, etc. I think my only qualm with these types of bucket bags from Hermès is that they often lack internal pockets.

Étrusque is a favourite colour of mine, and it often has this dark brown stamp on Clemence leather. As @annaria pointed out, the colour is modeled after the soil/clay pigment that was used for ancient frescos and pottery in the eponymous region north of Rome. This is an old Hermès colour that has been offered in several skins and undergone some changes over the years, but I think this specific version of Etrusque with the contrast stitching is probably my favourite. :flowers:

View attachment 5707941View attachment 5708000
Above (left) is an example of an Etruscan tomb fresco. Above (right) is an example of an Etruscan sarcophagus. Both feature the reddish brown Etruscan clay pigments that gave name to the Hermès Etrusque colour.
@r luvs h this is easily the greatest post I have ever seen on TPF. So much erudition, and such wonderful illustrations! What would the rest of us do without you? :lol:

View attachment 5707941View attachment 5708000

Thank you again. Your generosity makes this corner of the internet so lovely.

https://www.hermes.com/uk/en/product/2424-29-bag-H075240CPBE/ I would love to know this color... it was on the british H site.. im wondering if it might be rouge sellier? so pretty!View attachment 5695935

Did someone get back to you on this?

It does look like Rouge Sellier - if it's on the site (or was) it should say in the description. The dark red-brown colour was traditionally one of the saddlery/tack leather options (besides tan, brown & black) hence the name.

Anyone know this model? It seems to be an accordion design with two detachable inner pockets.

View attachment 5711425

View attachment 5711426

This is a Jerboise, an older style from the late 90s and early 2000s, I believe. All the ones I have seen were made in Box Calf with VN handles. The gussets are indeed detachable, and they came in a different leather than the exterior (i.e. Gulliver, Chèvre, etc.). These bags were marketed as mini tote bags when they first came out. Cute!

This is a Jerboise, an older style from the late 90s and early 2000s, I believe. All the ones I have seen were made in Box Calf with VN handles. The gussets are indeed detachable, and they came in a different leather than the exterior (i.e. Gulliver, Chèvre, etc.). These bags were marketed as mini tote bags when they first came out. Cute!
How knowledgeable! I also think it’s very cute. What would be a fair price for this bag now? Just to have an idea.

How knowledgeable! I also think it’s very cute. What would be a fair price for this bag now? Just to have an idea.
I am not sure about an exact price as that would depend on factors like the condition of this specific listing, the rarity of the design and materials, and the demand for this design. I would bear in mind that Box Calf is relatively more expensive than other regular leathers and that this piece may contain discontinued leathers.

I got it, just paid, for about 1000 usd. I think I saw some new pieces in box recently. There might be a renaissance.
well done! Its a beautiful bag.
Would you mind posting a modelling shot or just a shot of it so I can work out the scale in one of the relevant threads please?
I love the design and am tempted to hunt for one (I've never seen it prior to your post) but am curious to know the scale and how practical I would find it.
Thank you.
And once more well done for finding this beauty.

Reactions: r luvs h
well done! Its a beautiful bag.
Would you mind posting a modelling shot or just a shot of it so I can work out the scale in one of the relevant threads please?
I love the design and am tempted to hunt for one (I've never seen it prior to your post) but am curious to know the scale and how practical I would find it.
Thank you.
And once more well done for finding this beauty.
I’m traveling in Brazil now for the carnival. The bag will be sent to my place and I’ll certainly take some shots when I’m back.

• Thanks
Reactions: maxroxxherhandbags