PLEASE HELP-eternity band dilemma-need advice

ggirl

O.G.
Jan 26, 2008
Hi all-

I custom ordered a thin platinum and diamond eternity band and it came in last week. It is beautiful and perfect except for one thing-I ordered it in size 4 1/2 and I am positive it isn't. It's more like 4 3/4 +.

I wear a 5 on my right hand and I could actually fit it on that finger the other day (I was in air conditioning and my finger probably shrunk).

Should I keep it or send it back and get it remade in the 4 1/2? My engagement ring is 4 1/2 and fits perfectly.

The only dilemma I am having is what if my finger or knuckle swells or gets bigger over the years? Eternity bands can't be sized, but it is also my understanding that platinum will evenutally form and stretch a little after years of wear and use (I was told that).

Please help-thanks in advance!!:smile:

Well, remember due to the size of the diamonds, eternity bands can be a little tricky with the sizing. Have you stacked it yet with the engagement ring? It may be a blessing in disguise since when you start stacking you sometimes need to go up in size just a hair. For instance I wear 3 bands and they are all a quarter size difference ie: 4.5, 4.5, 4.75.

And you never know about the swelling, you may, but you may not in the future. Good luck.

I agree, stack it on the bottom of your engagement ring it should work and not move, my stack of 4 rings vary in size. I didn't think you can size eternity bands.

Thanks for the replies. I did stick it on the bottom of my engagement ring and it seems to stick out just a little bit on the bottom from the engagement ring bottom, if that makes any sense. I have attached pics.

I am just concerned that if I don't have my ER on and just the band it's a little too big. I am also a little worried since the band is bigger than the ER I may damage the diamonds since it's not 'tucked behind' the plain plat band of the ER. Am I being irrational?

I know the only way to size an eternity band is to have gold balls placed inside the band to take up the space, but I feel like since I just ordered this and haven't even worn it I am thinking of sending it back to be done in my size.

Is that a mistake, or should I just keep it as is?

Thanks again for the opinions and help-I just want it to be right but don't want to create more issues for myself! :smile:

DSC01352 (2).JPGDSC01353 (3).JPGDSC01354 (2).JPGDSC01360 (3).JPG

I think that eternity bands need to be a tad bigger than your current finger size because you fingers will very likely get bigger as you age. There is no turning back if it's too small for your finger.

Thanks-do you find the band rubs in between your fingers? Mine is rubbing and driving me a little nuts (obviously). Do you get used to the rubbing?

I haven't worn it yet (wedding not for a few more months), just tried it on a few times to decide if I should keep.

I do love the ring and it's a valid point about the fingers getting bigger as I age-that is what I thought, too.(but I'm already soon to be 45 in a few months).

It's a lot of $$ to be unsure, so I guess that's why I needed opinions-thanks for putting up with my indecisiveness:hugs:

Sticking out just a bit like your pics show is actually normal when you are not going with a matching set that was made to be worn together. I think your best bet is to get the sizing beads put in since that is completely undo-able if/when you ever were to need it slightly larger.

And to have the proper size of diamonds you are looking for (not necessarily total carat weight, I mean the actual milimeter on top) it is not always an exact SIZE on eternity bands...does that make sense?

I didn't want sizing issues so when I got my ring I got a ring where the diamonds don't go all the way around so it can be resized easily. Is that a possibility? I know some people love the diamonds all the way around but I prefer something easier to size.

Oh yeah, love your cat - need a cat sitter, lol?

Thanks for the reassurance! I think sizing balls may be the way to go, since I can remove them later. It may reduce the rubbing on my fingers, too.

I wanted eternity all the way because I plan on wearing it on its own when we are doing active things, and I like the look of the diamonds all the way around.

Thanks for the compliment on my kitty. She's a pistol-very aloof one minute, very needy the next! Have had her for almost 10 yrs now-adopted her from the vet's office. She's 12.:love:

She is so cute! We used to have a Persian and I really miss her. We adopted her from the street and when she was older we used to get her hair cut in the lion cut for her. Lol, she was a great cat.

My wedding ring and anniversary ring only have diamonds on the front so that they can be sized if my fingers swell as I get older. I also don't like the feel of diamonds rubbing between my fingers, but that's just my personal preference.
I agree with the others, keep the ring at the size it is, you might find you need that extra little bit of give one day.

Definitely don't get it remade if it's only 1/4 size too big. You can still send it back to them for sizing beads...which is what I would do. Allows wiggle room.