Please help-Aggressive Cat

mcb100

O.G.
Jan 8, 2007
Hi, all. I have rescued a cat about six months ago that I adore. I found him on the side of the road, in the country but going towards a main highway and didn't want him to get killed. He has obviously had some kind of previous people experience as I got out of the car and motioned for him to come over and he ran to me. I picked him up, without any hissing or anything, and put him in my car and we drove home together. He'd been staying with me temporarily. No hissing or biting. I really bonded with him and decided to keep him (once I called everywhere around and clarified he is not a missing cat, with no microchip, as it is odd for a stray to run right towards you and be friendly.). I got him fixed at the vet and a regular checkup. He was claimed to be very healthy, with no bad health conditions and nothing wrong with him. The vet actually liked him.

Quickly down the line we found out that this cat loves people but hates other animals. We currently live with my family members in their house after I had a rough year in 2016 both financially and in other areas. People he doesn't even know that I bring over--strangers, he will run right over to them and greet them. He loves belly rubs and initiates cuddling. But we quickly found out that he hates other animals. He treats people totally different than he treats the other cats that live in my family's house, where we reside. (And yes I had full permission to keep him and make him a family member.). Maybe he has not ever seen a cat in the wild before? I don't know, but he will try to attack the smaller cats and he is the only male cat in the household. Also, he was declared by the vet as a stray cat, just approaching the 1 year age mark, half starved and he was very dirty looking. Breed is unknown, maybe a mix but he is short haired--white hair with black spots, very light--pink ears, pink nose and greenish yellow eyes that look orange in photographs. Vet said very unusual coloring but breed is not certain. (Now that he's healthy and fed for months he is gorgeous looking, although that doesn't have anything to do with my post.).

It was decided that for the safety of the other cats and the animals in the household, he would need to be separated permanently after he attacked another cat for no reason and there was blood. So now he lives in my bedroom, (separated from the other animals who freely roam the house), and the door is closed all day long meaning he cannot leave when he wants. This is only temporary, as in 12 months we are getting our own place again, me and the cat, and there will be no other animals. (It's not like it's for the rest of his life.). Now let me say that this is an extremely large bedroom, the size of a medium-large sized New York City apartment, with two cat trees in it that are all his own, a nice bed (and of course my furniture, dressers), his own basket full to the brim of toys and treats, litterbox, comfortable bedding, etc. He loves the bed. He loves to sit on one of the cat trees in the room and look out the large window all day long and watch the birds. I also leave the TV on in the room for him 24/7, so when I'm not there he can lay on the bed & watch TV or maybe the sounds will make being stuck in the room less lonely? I do take him outside of the room for 3 hours a day to roam the house with me supervising by his side to make sure he does not harm another cat. He spends a lot of time on a screened in catio porch, on tall cat trees in the sunshine feeling the air, and watching birds alone (I close the door so the other cats cannot get in.).

But I know he desires free roam of the house like the other cats. And now I notice when I try to put him back in the room because exercise/out time is over (I cannot watch an animal 24/7 all day long.) he is becoming super aggressive. I thought it was just towards other animals but its changing. He tried to get out of the room when I opened the door to leave the room, I told him "no no". I came back in the room and started doing ab wheel exercises on the floor. He runs up from behind me and scratches my back--blood everywhere. Out of nowhere. Then, another morning ago he had tried to get out of the room but I had to leave the house so I tried to put him back in the bedroom and he turned around and clawed my face. I now have a huge scratch across my right cheek, in public. I do love him and I know he loves me, he is all cuddly all night and seeks out attention. (When he did have free roam of the house when we first got him before we knew he was a danger to other animals, he would sit in the windows and wait for me to come home--greet me at the door and then we would go to sleep in the bedroom. Didn't have to ask him, he'd follow me up to the room.).

My relatives who have always had a lot of cats say that this is very aggressive behavior. But I reason, that this is only for a couple of months and then he can have free roam of a house with me and without any other animals--problem solved. I know this is the issue. (I will not rehome him as we have a bond, we will have our own place in a year guaranteed, and rehoming him does not solve an aggression issue. He might be aggressive towards the new owners, and some people are not kind to cats who lash out. And I just love him.). But when I try to put him back in the room, he is now becoming aggressive towards me. What should I do? Sorry for the long post, I have no idea what to do?

Last edited:
Hi, all. I have rescued a cat about six months ago that I adore. I found him on the side of the road, in the country but going towards a main highway and didn't want him to get killed. He has obviously had some kind of previous people experience as I got out of the car and motioned for him to come over and he ran to me. I picked him up, without any hissing or anything, and put him in my car and we drove home together. He'd been staying with me temporarily. No hissing or biting. I really bonded with him and decided to keep him (once I called everywhere around and clarified he is not a missing cat, with no microchip, as it is odd for a stray to run right towards you and be friendly.). I got him fixed at the vet and a regular checkup. He was claimed to be very healthy, with no bad health conditions and nothing wrong with him. The vet actually liked him.

Quickly down the line we found out that this cat loves people but hates other animals. We currently live with my family members in their house after I had a rough year in 2016 both financially and in other areas. People he doesn't even know that I bring over--strangers, he will run right over to them and greet them. He loves belly rubs and initiates cuddling. But we quickly found out that he hates other animals. He treats people totally different than he treats the other cats that live in my family's house, where we reside. (And yes I had full permission to keep him and make him a family member.). Maybe he has not ever seen a cat in the wild before? I don't know, but he will try to attack the smaller cats and he is the only male cat in the household. Also, he was declared by the vet as a stray cat, just approaching the 1 year age mark, half starved and he was very dirty looking. Breed is unknown, maybe a mix but he is short haired--white hair with black spots, very light--pink ears, pink nose and greenish yellow eyes that look orange in photographs. Vet said very unusual coloring but breed is not certain. (Now that he's healthy and fed for months he is gorgeous looking, although that doesn't have anything to do with my post.).

It was decided that for the safety of the other cats and the animals in the household, he would need to be separated permanently after he attacked another cat for no reason and there was blood. So now he lives in my bedroom, (separated from the other animals who freely roam the house), and the door is closed all day long meaning he cannot leave when he wants. This is only temporary, as in 12 months we are getting our own place again, me and the cat, and there will be no other animals. (It's not like it's for the rest of his life.). Now let me say that this is an extremely large bedroom, the size of a medium-large sized New York City apartment, with two cat trees in it that are all his own, a nice bed (and of course my furniture, dressers), his own basket full to the brim of toys and treats, litterbox, comfortable bedding, etc. He loves the bed. He loves to sit on one of the cat trees in the room and look out the large window all day long and watch the birds. I also leave the TV on in the room for him 24/7, so when I'm not there he can lay on the bed & watch TV or maybe the sounds will make being stuck in the room less lonely? I do take him outside of the room for 3 hours a day to roam the house with me supervising by his side to make sure he does not harm another cat. He spends a lot of time on a screened in catio porch, on tall cat trees in the sunshine feeling the air, and watching birds alone (I close the door so the other cats cannot get in.).

But I know he desires free roam of the house like the other cats. And now I notice when I try to put him back in the room because exercise/out time is over (I cannot watch an animal 24/7 all day long.) he is becoming super aggressive. I thought it was just towards other animals but its changing. He tried to get out of the room when I opened the door to leave the room, I told him "no no". I came back in the room and started doing ab wheel exercises on the floor. He runs up from behind me and scratches my back--blood everywhere. Out of nowhere. Then, another morning ago he had tried to get out of the room but I had to leave the house so I tried to put him back in the bedroom and he turned around and clawed my face. I now have a huge scratch across my right cheek, in public. I do love him and I know he loves me, he is all cuddly all night and seeks out attention. (When he did have free roam of the house when we first got him before we knew he was a danger to other animals, he would sit in the windows and wait for me to come home--greet me at the door and then we would go to sleep in the bedroom. Didn't have to ask him, he'd follow me up to the room.).

My relatives who have always had a lot of cats say that this is very aggressive behavior. But I reason, that this is only for a couple of months and then he can have free roam of a house with me and without any other animals--problem solved. I know this is the issue. (I will not rehome him as we have a bond, we will have our own place in a year guaranteed, and rehoming him does not solve an aggression issue. He might be aggressive towards the new owners, and some people are not kind to cats who lash out. And I just love him.). But when I try to put him back in the room, he is now becoming aggressive towards me. What should I do? Sorry for the long post, I have no idea what to do?
get Jackson Galaxy from My Cat from Hell?
I don't have a solution for you but I can empathize. We had a cat who was very active and sometimes aggressive. I had put him on a waiting list for a very nice no-kill shelter when we first had him (he was about a year old like your kitty). The shelter called and said they had room for him but we had become attached to him. Also I felt that if he bit a child - either at the shelter or in a new home - it could be a death sentence for him. Since we were just two adults, we felt we could handle the risk. He'd be ok most of the time but you couldn't mess with him - like to give him meds, clip his nails, etc. And sometimes he'd attack without provocation. He latched onto my DH's hand one time biting and scratching. Hand got infected. He had to go to the hospital for several days for IV antibiotics.
There are many more experienced cat people than me here so maybe someone can give you some constructive advice. I just want to say bless you for taking him in and loving him and good luck.

Thanks for your post! The not liking other animals thing I can kind of work around, because like I said, we are getting our own place again in 12 months and if he wants to be the only animal, he can be the only animal. I have no problem with having no other animals except a cat my whole life. But I really kind of get the vibe from him that this is mostly an "i can't have my way so I am nasty" or an "I am the boss" type of thing. For example, if you've been in the room with him for hours and he doesn't see any chance at going outside of the room, you can pick him up and hold him and he is all snuggly. If he is outside of the room, and you pick him up (Then he associates being picked up with going back inside the room. Like we pick you up and we put you back.) he will hiss, and that was when he clawed my face the other morning because I'm sorry, but there wasn't a choice....I had to go to work and while I try to give him as much outside of the room time as I can and time on the screened in porch (which he loves), I simply cannot supervise an animal 24/7. Most people have to work. And the owners of the house we are in (family), say he must be in that room when unsupervised and I agree, with the other animals and all. He will attack the smaller ones. The bigger ones and the small dogs, he is fine with. Dunno if it is a male thing, a just reaching full sexual maturity thing, being so large (he's huge), or just not liking other cats.

Like I said, I don't have much of a problem with him not liking other cats, personally, but because he cannot have his way like when he has to go back into the room this he is starting to turn aggressive on me, so any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks for your post! The not liking other animals thing I can kind of work around, because like I said, we are getting our own place again in 12 months and if he wants to be the only animal, he can be the only animal. I have no problem with having no other animals except a cat my whole life. But I really kind of get the vibe from him that this is mostly an "i can't have my way so I am nasty" or an "I am the boss" type of thing. For example, if you've been in the room with him for hours and he doesn't see any chance at going outside of the room, you can pick him up and hold him and he is all snuggly. If he is outside of the room, and you pick him up (Then he associates being picked up with going back inside the room. Like we pick you up and we put you back.) he will hiss, and that was when he clawed my face the other morning because I'm sorry, but there wasn't a choice....I had to go to work and while I try to give him as much outside of the room time as I can and time on the screened in porch (which he loves), I simply cannot supervise an animal 24/7. Most people have to work. And the owners of the house we are in (family), say he must be in that room when unsupervised and I agree, with the other animals and all. He will attack the smaller ones. The bigger ones and the small dogs, he is fine with. Dunno if it is a male thing, a just reaching full sexual maturity thing, being so large (he's huge), or just not liking other cats.

Like I said, I don't have much of a problem with him not liking other cats, personally, but because he cannot have his way like when he has to go back into the room this he is starting to turn aggressive on me, so any tips would be appreciated.
Hopefully things will be better when you get to your own house and he can have free run. I don't know what to tell you for now except maybe try to keep him away from your face and watch for signals when handling him. Our aggressive cat never did any real damage to me; I think because I was kind of cautious about how I approached him.
It sounds like he has a nice room where you're staying so life is better for him than when you found him :smile:

He's not what you would think of, when you think of an aggressive cat. Like I said, it's more of an "I want to be outside of the room and I am inside of the room all day long. I want to be out, out, out, so when I am out and you try to put me back in I lash out at you." type of thing. My concern is that I don't want to be afraid that he is going to claw me every time I let him have outside of the room time, and then have to pick him back up and put him back in the room. I'm looking into hiring someone to come to the house and help me with his issues (picture Ceasar the dog whisperer lmfao), because like I said, if you have to go to work NOW and you need to put the cat back into the room, you don't want to have to worry about him turning around and clawing your face. There is a cat training place in my area that will come to your house for 2 hours, observe how the cat acts, and then write up a behavioral plan. Dunno if it will work but it might be worth a shot. It's very pricey, but the behavior needs to be corrected and me trying to correct it alone is not working...I still have a cut across my right cheek from trying to put him back into our bedroom.

He's not what you would think of, when you think of an aggressive cat. Like I said, it's more of an "I want to be outside of the room and I am inside of the room all day long. I want to be out, out, out, so when I am out and you try to put me back in I lash out at you." type of thing. My concern is that I don't want to be afraid that he is going to claw me every time I let him have outside of the room time, and then have to pick him back up and put him back in the room. I'm looking into hiring someone to come to the house and help me with his issues (picture Ceasar the dog whisperer lmfao), because like I said, if you have to go to work NOW and you need to put the cat back into the room, you don't want to have to worry about him turning around and clawing your face. There is a cat training place in my area that will come to your house for 2 hours, observe how the cat acts, and then write up a behavioral plan. Dunno if it will work but it might be worth a shot. It's very pricey, but the behavior needs to be corrected and me trying to correct it alone is not working...I still have a cut across my right cheek from trying to put him back into our bedroom.
what about you visiting him in his room rather than taking him out? Then once you move, he will have the run of the house.
I'm surprised more of the kitty people here aren't weighing in
Maybe a professional can help you. I can only say that my aggressive cat, while not aggressive most of the time, remained potentially aggressive all his life. He maybe only drew blood ten times in 18 years but one of those time it was serious hand injury.
I had a friend who had a very cute kitty. But the cat would just randomly attack people. She told everyone not to touch the cat. GL

I do visit him all the time in his room. He loves attention. There's a cat tree up in the bedroom that overlooks the whole front yard area/ whole front portion of the house where he sits all of the time, so he knows when my car pulls into the driveway outside and then he starts to scream lmfao. He just has issues, I believe. In regards to other animals, some of it I think has to do with only having lived outside and having to hunt everything out there for food. Believe it or not, there's a lot of love between us. I've attached some photos I took of him, even though it doesn't really matter in regards to aggression issues lmfao. :smile:

Attachments

• trevor2.jpg
    trevor2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 96
  • trevor3.jpg
    trevor3.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 87
I do visit him all the time in his room. He loves attention. There's a cat tree up in the bedroom that overlooks the whole front yard area/ whole front portion of the house where he sits all of the time, so he knows when my car pulls into the driveway outside and then he starts to scream lmfao. He just has issues, I believe. In regards to other animals, some of it I think has to do with only having lived outside and having to hunt everything out there for food. Believe it or not, there's a lot of love between us. I've attached some photos I took of him, even though it doesn't really matter in regards to aggression issues lmfao. :smile:
sweet
I believe there's love between you but some cats are temperamental

He was neutered. I actually haven't had him for six months yet, now that I think about it. I have had him for four and a half months, and as soon as I got him at the beginning of those four months, I had him neutered. I'm thinking his age might have something to do with it a little bit too, like he literally just hit the one year mark by now, anyways. Maybe when he is fully matured, like really really grown, he will calm down a bit.