Platinum martini setting for diamond studs-question

efleon

LVoe
O.G.
Jul 30, 2008
595861EC-5756-408F-B5C4-070165F8B036.jpeg 4D59E95E-D752-42F8-A207-26561E8FF8D2.jpeg Hi All,
I have a lot of jewelry but never a simple pair of diamond studs.
I finally bit the bullet and picked out two beautiful matching stones with the help of my local jeweler. They are F color and VVS. .40 tcw each so a total of .80.
Very sparkly and easy to wear everyday, at the gym, to bed....etc.
My question is...I’m not perfectly certain I love the setting. I like the three-prong martini setting but this particular setting that my jeweler used seem very light and, frankly, cheap to me. It’s platinum but insubstantial.
Has anyone picked out stones and had them set and if so did you like the settings?
I have a lot of Tiffany and compared to my aquamarine color-by-the-yard earrings, these are flimsy.
Also, of note, they happen to be super light and comfortable and they do allow the diamond to be the center of attention so maybe I should shut up.
Thoughts???

Reactions: Mayfly285
View attachment 3932602 View attachment 3932603 Hi All,
I have a lot of jewelry but never a simple pair of diamond studs.
I finally bit the bullet and picked out two beautiful matching stones with the help of my local jeweler. They are F color and VVS. .40 tcw each so a total of .80.
Very sparkly and easy to wear everyday, at the gym, to bed....etc.
My question is...I’m not perfectly certain I love the setting. I like the three-prong martini setting but this particular setting that my jeweler used seem very light and, frankly, cheap to me. It’s platinum but insubstantial.
Has anyone picked out stones and had them set and if so did you like the settings?
I have a lot of Tiffany and compared to my aquamarine color-by-the-yard earrings, these are flimsy.
Also, of note, they happen to be super light and comfortable and they do allow the diamond to be the center of attention so maybe I should shut up.
Thoughts???

First off, your earrings look beautiful on you! :heart:

I had my old diamond stud earrings (0.63 ctw) reset from a traditional 18K 4 prong setting to a 14K 3 prong martini setting. I had them reset because I didn't like how the earrings kept turning down when I wore them. The martini setting definitely lets a lot of light in and my old earrings looked so much bigger and sparklier and stay in the ear without drooping! :biggrin: But yes, the setting does feel a little "cheap" because there isn't much metal. However, the diamonds are secure in the prongs. I also have a pair of Tiffany diamond stud earrings (0.79ctw) in platinum. These settings are much heavier and feel substantial. Only thing is if I wear them everyday without a break, they tend to stretch my holes a little bit. I love both sets of earrings.

I think your earrings should be fine. Was the price for the platinum settings reasonable? Platinum is very strong, so you don't need a lot of metal. 3 prong martini settings have the least amount of metal, so that may account for why they feel so light. HTH!

Reactions: USCGirlie
My first pair of studs was a 3 prong martini setting. Since then I’ve gotten 2 other pairs - I wasn’t the biggest fan of the 3 prong martini setting but I think it has more to do with not having the locking backs. I was constantly afraid I would lose them, they’d catch on sweaters as I got dressed, etc. The look of them is totally beautiful.

I like the earrings on you, they look gorgeous and very versatile!

I have Martini studs in Platinum. Haven't had any trouble with the setting. If anything, the sparkle factor is off the charts compared to basket/bezel set diamonds with the same grade cut stones.

Your earrings are beautiful, OP!

You mentioned the setting seems light....that is actually the beauty of the martini setting. You barely see it and the setting allows better visibilty of the stone without detracting from it. I have a diamond pendant set in a martini setting and I get compliments all the time. The stone just glows. I’m not sure you would really want a “heavier” setting. Large backs do help post earrings to maintain a nice fit on the earlobe so the earrings don’t droop.

I agree. You want to show off your diamonds, not your settings. I have studs like this with a jumbo back and they feel secure. If you don't have jumbo backs, I'd suggesting getting them. They're more secure and also easier to put on.

Reactions: WingNut
I had these exactly same thought a couple of weeks age! I ordered 3 prong martini setting studs 1 tcw in 14k white gold but they seemed and looked like cheap cz studs so I exchanged them to platinum 4 prong setting. They should arrive next week. I’m still not sure if I made the right choise as the martini setting is probably better performing and light-reflecting...

I have 1.5 ctw diamond studs in white gold, 3-prong martini setting, and 2.5 ctw diamond studs in 6-prong, Platinum martini setting.

I purposely avoided getting platinum setting for the smaller studs, because I wanted to pair them with a custom designed, diamond jacket and did not want the added weight of platinum. Yes, the martini setting feels light, but I never think that they look cheap. Due to the relatively small size of the studs, I do not have much of a drooping problem. The back is standard friction. I use those plastic tubings to keep the studs from ever falling.

As for the larger studs, they are a little heavier, but not to the point of noticeable discomfort. These studs come with jumbo backs, so there is absolutely no drooping problem.

As other posters have already pointed out, the martini settings do let the diamonds sparkle more due to less metal obstruction than the basket settings.

For small studs of less than 1.5 ctw, I would imagine that the setting may feel less substantial due to less metal involved.

Between the two martini settings, I love the larger, 6-prong platinum setting MUCH more. The 6-prong appears more beautiful (diamond appears larger with more prongs outlining the circumference) and more secure (less chipping potential with more prongs protecting the girdle). The platinum material and the jumbo back make the setting look more substantial and luxurious. Perhaps, the design and workmanship are a bit higher quality as well? Of course, the price is a lot more, but trust me, the extra expense is well worth it.

Reactions: blackmonster