plat v. gold ?

DamierAddict

Nov 28, 2007
hey girls, i have a quick question. I was always under the assumption that my engagement ring was gold not platinum because that is what my fiance told me and i ran with that.

i was just playing around with my ring and on the inside of the band i found a number stamped as well as the words PLATINUM ?

i know that my other gold jewl. says inside 14kt or 18kt , so is your platinum jewlery marked as so?

please help thank you

stamped "PLAT" i googled it PLAT stands for 95% platinum .. why in the world would the jeweler tell my fiance its gold when its platinum? doesnt plat cost more than gold?

Your GIA cert will not tell you the metal your ring is in. If it is indeed stamped PLAT, then it is platinum. Yes, it is more costly than gold. It is possible the jeweler just didn't know and you and your fiance just got lucky. :smile: You can always bring it to any jeweler and have them double check the stampings for you too.

Platinum is great! More durable than gold. Over time platinum will develop a patina that some don't like, but you can always get it polished. It is more expensive than gold and with white gold you have to worry about wear and having to get your ring rhodium plated, which is what gives it the silver color. Congrats!

Platinum is the king of white metals.
Does it say 950 plat?
That's very high end.
'white gold'wasactually invented because platinum is less affordable, I would never complain about getting platinum instead of white gold.

Plat is usually stamped PLAT or PT or PT950 when it's 95% Plat and 5% Other (usually Iridium). When it's 90/10 it's PT900 or PT/IR.

The GIA cert wouldn't discuss how the stone was set/ring metal. That's for the appraisal to specify.

Inside the ring the other numbers might be a serial for the setting or a makers mark. And if it's branded or was sold as a one ring thing, like I think Tiffany's does sometimes, they might have the carat weight of the center stone or total of the ring inside also.