plastic covering on the plaque

Hi has anyone got a new plastic covering for their oval plaque from somewhere else after taking off the original? was thinking of going to a mobile phone accesories shop and ask?

The oval plaque of my SBS oak cookie now has two scratches and my heart is aching!!!

When I first had it, I contemplated not taking it off....and I regretted ever doing so...

thanks

Hi has anyone got a new plastic covering for their oval plaque from somewhere else after taking off the original? was thinking of going to a mobile phone accesories shop and ask?

The oval plaque of my SBS oak cookie now has two scratches and my heart is aching!!!

When I first had it, I contemplated not taking it off....and I regretted ever doing so...

thanks

I leave mine on as long as possible. Once you've taken them off they won't stay on if you try to put them back.

I would have thought you could use something like a mobile phone film, just cut it to size before you put it on. You can buy them on EBay very cheaply, worth a try

Just let it be, if there are scratches there are, otherwise you'll be spending the whole life babying the bag instead of using the bag. To me if you buy a designer bag, you need to use it.

I leave mine on as long as possible. Once you've taken them off they won't stay on if you try to put them back.

I would have thought you could use something like a mobile phone film, just cut it to size before you put it on. You can buy them on EBay very cheaply, worth a try

yes, that is what I was thinking too...mobile phone covering!

Although I understand your heart aches, I agree with Mimi89: bags are to be loved and used. A few scratches here and there give her character. That doesn't mean you should throw her around and not look after her, but a few scratches are normal. Personally, I think keeping the plastic covers on the plates looks more awkward than a few scratches.

I bought my bayswater (work horse bag) preloved just because of this: I was afraid the first scratch would keep me awake at night and wanted the bag to have a bit of personality already.

Don't worry about the scratches, just enjoy the bag!

Last edited:
I like to think beauty is about aging gracefully, with quality showing above a few wrinkles or scratches.
I hope my scratches go as unnoticed as those on my bays' lockplate.
I hope to carry my story as gracefully.

Please, enjoy & let the bag be who she is, with her unique story's marks.

I agree with everyone else, if you baby your bag you're not fully enjoying her. Just fill her with your things and get out there knowing you have a fab handbag that you love!

Personally I couldn't carry a bag with a bit of plastic stuck on it spoiling the lovely finish . Bags are meant to be used imo not babied . I love the individuality of used bags and don't like the pristine just off the shelf look . I don't like hair styles that look straight out of the hairdresser's either !

Having said that I do think you can get replacement plastic bits and I think that Labels Most Wanted considered selling them at one point so it might be worth contacting them ?

Personal view: can be ok to leave on, as long as you don't remove and reapply (hard to do without it looking obvious!) and IMHO a shiny metal finish like nickel does look better without scratches... brushed finish like brass doesn't really need that protection though.

Purely personal though!

Last edited:
Personal view: can be ok to leave on, as long as you don't remove and reapply (hard to do without it looking obvious!) and IMHO a shiny metal finish like nickel does look better without scratches... brushed finish like brass doesn't really need that protection though.

Purely personal though!

I'm with you s_kat, obviously not the majority but I like my shiny lockplates to stay scratch free for as long as possible.

Like you say the antique and also older lockplates don't really need it. I agree a few odd minor scratches adds to the beauty.....................

I remove any plastic covering that is visible as it kind of ruins the look of the bag, but I'm very careful making sure no metal touches the plaque, like the chain strap (e.g. when it's in the car).

I think leaving the plastic on visible parts ruins the look of the bag, use and enjoy it! I have left the plastic on under he postman's lock on my pebbled putty bays though as the shiny silver hardwear seems to tarnish quite easily.

I think leaving the plastic on visible parts ruins the look of the bag, use and enjoy it! I have left the plastic on under he postman's lock on my pebbled putty bays though as the shiny silver hardwear seems to tarnish quite easily.

I agree, Becky! I left the cover on all parts of my oak sbs and then thought, "Why??!" but the brass plate hasn't picked up any scratches yet where the shinier surfaces might. I have left it on the underside of the postman's lock, though; my silky snake Lexy scratched VERY badly where the screws weren't flush with the lock and I didn't know until she was outside the guarantee period ... The rose gold plate looks dreadful when it's marked.